A TRIBUTE TO QUAD's UNSUNG HEROES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, can anyone help out with the names behind the mixes of the numerous Warner/Atlantic (and associated label) Quads please?

I'm thinking of Quads like..

America - Hearts,
America - Holiday,
Aretha Franklin - The Best Of.,
Average White Band,
Bread - Best Of.,
Deep Purple - Machine Head (U.S. and U.K. mixes),
Doobie Brothers - Toulouse Street,
Doobie Brothers - What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits,
Doobie Brothers - Stampede,
Doors - Best Of.,
Eagles - One Of These Nights,
Eagles - On The Border,
Donnie Hathaway - Extension Of A Man,
Jethro Tull - Aqualung,
Jethro Tull - Minstrel In The Gallery,
Jethro Tull - Warchild,
Jethro Tull - Too Old To R'n'R..,
Bette Midler - The Divine Miss M.,
The Spinners,
The Spinners - Pick Of The Litter

etc...

Then there's the real anomalies, including the EMI, Motown, Buddha, A&M, etc titles)...
It would be something if we ever get to the bottom of who mixed the Quads on some of these...?

George Benson - Body Talk,
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On,
Quincy Jones - Body Heat,
Gladys Knight & The Pips - Imagination,
John Lennon - Imagine,
John Lennon - Walls & Bridges,
Steve Miller Band - The Joker,
Walter Murphy Band - A Fifth Of Beethoven,
Buddy Rich - The Roar of '74,
Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye - Diana & Marvin,
Wings - Band On The Run,
Wings - Venus & Mars,

ABC/Command (and Impulse) titles info please?

Including...

Four Tops - Keeper Of The Castle,
Four Tops - Main Street People,
Four Tops - Meeting Of The Minds,
Grass Roots - Their 16 Greatest Hits,
Rufus - Rags To Rufus,
Rufus - Rufusized,
Steely Dan - Can't Buy A Thrill,
Steely Dan - Countdown To Ecstasy,
Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (so we know who to shoot, if they're still alive!),
Three Dog Night - Coming Down Your Way,
Three Dog Night - Hard Labor

Columbia (and associated labels) Quad mixes still unaccounted for...

Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow,
Jeff Beck - Wired,
Neil Diamond - Serenade,
Earth Wind & Fire - That's The Way Of The World,
Art Garfunkel - Breakaway,
Herbie Hancock - Thrust,
Janis Ian - Between The Lines,
Isley Brothers - 3 + 3,
Isley Brothers - Live It Up,
Isley Brothers - Harvest For The World,
The Manhattans - Feels So Good,
Dave Mason - S/T,
The Miracles - Love Crazy,
O'Jays - Family Reunion,
Santana - Amigos,
Santana - Borboletta,
Santana - Festival,
Paul Simon - S/T,
Paul Simon - There Goes Rhymin' Simon,
Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years,
Phoebe Snow - Second Childhood,
Return To Forever - Musicmagic,
Tower Of Power - Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now,
Andy Williams - Andy,
Edgar Winter Group & Rick Derringer,
Johnny Winter - John Dawson III..

Some more:

Bruce Botnick did Mac Davis' 'Burnin Thing' (Found here)

Don Young (supervised by Harold J. Kleiner) did Mac Davis' 'Stop And Smell The Roses (Found here)

Jack Lattig did Percy Faith's 'Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet' (Found here)

Phil Newell did Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' (assisted by Alan Perkins)
Mike Oldfield & Phil Newell did 'Ommadawn'
Mike Oldfield did 'Hergest Ridge' on his own
(Found here)

Phil Macy did Ray Coniff And The Singers' 'Love Theme From "The Godfather" (Speak Softly Love)' (Found here)

So, can anyone help out with the names behind the mixes of the numerous Warner/Atlantic (and associated label) Quads please?

I'm thinking of Quads like..

Here are a few I was able to confirm first hand via my own copies.

Aretha Franklin - The Best Of., - Remixed for Quadradisc by Tom Dowd
Average White Band - Remixed for Quadradisc by Gene Paul
Donnie Hathaway - Extension Of A Man – Remixed for Quadradisc by Tom Dowd
The Spinners - New and Improved – Remixed for Quadradisc by -Don Murray
The Spinners - Pick Of The Litter - Remixed for Quadradisc by -Don Murray

Last edited:

Aretha Franklin - The Best Of., - Tom Dowd
Average White Band - Gene Paul
Donnie Hathaway - Extension Of A Man - Don Murray
The Spinners - New and Improved - Don Young
The Spinners - Pick Of The Litter - Don Young

Can you tell me what the exact text of the credit is? Columbia seemed to always use 'Quadraphonic Remix Engineer' - was it something different for Atlantic? It'll make it easier for me to do some more google searching if I have something like that to work with.

A couple of observations from that list, one is that Gene Paul is the son of Les Paul who basically invented multitrack recording (and the guitar that bears his name) - it seems appropriate somehow that his son was doing surround sound mixing!

Also interesting is that Don Young did Spinners mixes - he was presumably a Columbia staff engineer in the very early 70's, did he move to Atlantic or is it possible they were using the CBS/Columbia studios for quad mixes like Stax did?

he was nice enough, but he had this "oh, I'm an important person" thing to him...as opposed to most teachers...

Oh well he's kind of a big deal.. I mean all 3 of his Quad mixes are great! They really are, I'd love for his other Labelle and his Wild Cherry Quad to get the AF Surround treatment.. :eek:
I wonder if he's "still alive and well"..?

Aretha Franklin - The Best Of., - Tom Dowd
Average White Band - Gene Paul
Donnie Hathaway - Extension Of A Man - Don Murray
The Spinners - New and Improved - Don Young
The Spinners - Pick Of The Litter - Don Young

Wow! Thank you zabble! Superb information.

Knocked out to discover that Don Murray, seemingly one of the least prolific of the Quad mixers to come out of this tribute so far, did two of my all-time favourites ("Extension Of A Man" and "Ship Ahoy")

Can you tell me what the exact text of the credit is? Columbia seemed to always use 'Quadraphonic Remix Engineer' - was it something different for Atlantic? It'll make it easier for me to do some more google searching if I have something like that to work with.

A couple of observations from that list, one is that Gene Paul is the son of Les Paul who basically invented multitrack recording (and the guitar that bears his name) - it seems appropriate somehow that his son was doing surround sound mixing!

Also interesting is that Don Young did Spinners mixes - he was presumably a Columbia staff engineer in the very early 70's, did he move to Atlantic or is it possible they were using the CBS/Columbia studios for quad mixes like Stax did?

Interesting and fitting that it should be his son, yes! The AWB Quad's not a very adventurous or particularly outstanding mix but it is such a thrill to hear that album open up in the way only Surround can.. fabulous band.. shame there weren't more of their LPs mixes into Quad/surround.

That is fascinating about Don Young's cross-label Quad mixing work, I imagine a lot of other labels used the engineers and facilities at Columbia back in the Quad era in some shape or form..

Maybe a bit hard to see (the credit is at the bottom in the middle below the painting) but another Larry Keyes supervised by Al Lawrence mix is 'No No Nanette' original cast recording.

s-l1600.jpg

Wow! Thank you zabble! Superb information.

Knocked out to discover that Don Murray, seemingly one of the least prolific of the Quad mixers to come out of this tribute so far, did two of my all-time favourites ("Extension Of A Man" and "Ship Ahoy")

He was also Grammy nominated in 2011 for the George Benson 'Songs And Stories' Monster Music surround mix.

He was also Grammy nominated in 2011 for the George Benson 'Songs And Stories' Monster Music surround mix.

OH! WOW! Dave!! :yikes

I LOVE that disc too! Its heartwarming to know he still has that gift and talent for surround mixing.

Please can someone here with influence arrange for Mr. Don Murray to come by here someday? Love his Quad/surround work!

I screwed this up big time there was no Don Young. I have since edited it as follows:

Aretha Franklin - The Best Of., - Remixed for Quadradisc by Tom Dowd
Average White Band - Remixed for Quadradisc by Gene Paul
Donnie Hathaway - Extension Of A Man – Remixed for Quadradisc by Tom Dowd
The Spinners - New and Improved – Remixed for Quadradisc by -Don Murray
The Spinners - Pick Of The Litter - Remixed for Quadradisc by -Don Murray

Back