HiRez Poll Yes - FRAGILE (2015 Mix) [BluRay Audio/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - FRAGILE (2015 Mix)

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• Total voters
This was one of my favourite albums back in the 70s when I still had a turntable. I played the grooves out then and I'll be playing it lots now upon adding the blu-ray to my collection.

With more single songs than most of the other Yes albums, Fragile provides a wonderful variety showcasing the talents of this fantastic band. I never tire of it.

And now we have this beautiful remix; it truly is exquisite.

Everyone shut the eff up. You guys are killing me. I ordered my copy of Fragile a few days ago and it will still be a few more days until it arrives. Tomorrow is Sunday so at a minimum it will be two more days of torture. I am dying to hear this. It doesn't get any better than Roundabout.

Right. And the same for Mood for a Day. I find now that it just jumps out as if Howe is in my audio room! Back in the day it was kinda like "whatever"; now I look forward to it.

I honestly don't like SW's approach for mixing "Mood for a Day" in surround. I would have kept Howe's dry recorded tracks in the front and used reverb to subtly spread the sound out to the surround channels. A concert-hall approach like that one would have worked very well for that piece so long as the reverb wasn't over done like it was for the 2002 DVDA mix. All the same, I can easily skip over that one like I skip over "Clap" on "The Yes Album". However the other four solo pieces on "Fragile" are all great fun to listen to, especially "We Have Heaven" and "The Fish". Fab! :)

I honestly don't like SW's approach for mixing "Mood for a Day" in surround. I would have kept Howe's dry recorded tracks in the front and used reverb to subtly spread the sound out to the surround channels. A concert-hall approach like that one would have worked very well for that piece so long as the reverb wasn't over done like it was for the 2002 DVDA mix. All the same, I can easily skip over that one like I skip over "Clap" on "The Yes Album". However the other four solo pieces on "Fragile" are all great fun to listen to, especially "We Have Heaven" and "The Fish". Fab! :)
Right, it isn't surround but being a single instrument combined with the excellent fidelity it comes across as very realistic presentation. I love it because it sounds so real. Subtle reverb might have made it even more life-like. But the sound from the front is going to reverb anyway - especially in my listening room where the rear wall is close to my listening position.

Did Steve fix the problem at the end of Roundabout on the 2003 release? That mix totally f'ed it up, leaving out at least one vocal part. My fear is that, as in so many cases, that part is simply not on the existing multitracks.

Did Steve fix the problem at the end of Roundabout on the 2003 release? That mix totally f'ed it up, leaving out at least one vocal part. My fear is that, as in so many cases, that part is simply not on the existing multitracks.

I certainly did not notice any vocal parts missing at the end of Steven's remixes of "Roundabout", so I assume everything's all there and accounted for. It sounds like it's always sounded to me, just so much better! :)

An immaculate presentation of a truly seminal work. This hits my own personal passion for music in surround in the center of the sweet spot. Thank you very much indeed, SW... Please do keep them coming.

A reference disc, 10.

I don't think there is much I can add to the comments here. This is exactly what I want in surround release for a classic album with some mixology history.
It is very cool that they included the prior 5.1 mix. A solid 10. Wish I could vote 11 or 12.

I thought I had voted, but found I didn't. I knew this one was a 10 after my first listen. Already knew the content as I've owned the DVD-A for quite some time. This is nearly perfect I think...again, a 10.

another no brainer... a 10 from me!
Kudos to Claire Bidwell for the "evolution" of the logo on the intro!!!

Excellent. I could have gave it a ten but I'm not completely in love with this album. Some great songs though. Going to have to settle for a measly 9.

Another stellar Wilson Remix. I gave up nitpicking his mixes a while ago. I am convinced that he is incapable of making the wrong decisions on his remix projects because of his intimate relationships with the music. I feel he has reimagined the mix in 5.1 before he assumes the controls. The only limiting factor being the source material/recording methods.
A certain 10 for me!

Not a big Yes fan....but after all the great reviews, I picked this one up.....and you cant beat the price on these BD's. After a couple days I'm coming around. Enough so that I ordered "Close to the Edge" and "Yes Album" on the heels of the first few spins. The mix and fidelity are fantastic. I gave it a 9 on that alone and will be playing this disc a lot.

Back