HiRez Poll Yes - FRAGILE (2015 Mix) [BluRay Audio/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A/BDA of YES - FRAGILE (2015 Mix)

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• Total voters
I was anticipating this one, given that I consider this album, Rumors, and Three Friends to be my musical "coming of age" albums. One could have reasonably anticipated, in advance of the release, that I would give a 10/10 for content.

That said, there was always a harshness to the sound of the album. Whether on vinyl or CD, it just had an edge. I could get through it, but I was tired of listening in the end. I attributed that to the complexity of the music and left it at that. Not so.

With this mix, I hear everything I heard in prior releases, and then some. I think the instrument placement in the surround field is outstanding, and the balance is excellent. But there is one thing that got left out - the harshness and consequential listening fatigue. I can't speak to where that comes from - but the stereo and surround mixes are great improvements over past releases (yes, even my beloved original) for this reason alone. They retain all of the complexity and go down buttery-smooth. 10/10 for mix too. Would give it an 11 if I could.

As a side note: my son and I had a fun debate while cooking dinner last night over whether it is Jackson Pollock's or Pablo Picasso's paintings that are the best analogy for the lyrics on this album. Really - WTH is that man singing about on some of these songs anyway?

Here is a look at the 6 CH Wav files from the original DVD-A of Track 1, "Roundabout", and from the new Steven Wilson mix on the BluRay. Channel order from top to bottom in FL, FR, C, Sub, RL, RR.

The top wav file is the DVD-A, the lower the BluRay. You can see without hearing that different choices were made, especially with the center channel. You can also see why you have to play the BluRay louder than the DVD-A. You can also see what appears to be more definition in the wav files in the SW mix than the Rhino mix.

For tech heads like me, this is interesting to see. For others, not so much...........:confused:

Roundabout.jpg

My order for this (along with Gentle Giant Power and the Glory) from Amazon is out for delivery!! Full review tomorrow morning.

I know this thing is gonna be killer.

So I have given it 9/10. I was considering 10/10, but I like to leave some dynamic range in the scoring system... I just love the natural dynamics and artful separation and placement of the instruments and vocals.
I've always been a fan of great stereo imaging and my old Meridian two channel system gave me that; an illusion of solidity that adds another dimension to the music. I'm very happy to report that I get that same solidity of image with this 5.1 mix, but in 360 degrees. What's really clever is that it achieves this while retaining or possibly improving on the emotional impact of the songs. Maybe that should have been a 10?

Last edited:
Wow!! This fucker is indeed a 10 all the way. WOWWWWWWWW!!!

I've always loved this album straight thru from beginning to end. To me even what some consider to be throwaway tracks Cans, We Have Heaven and Five are all great.

OK... listening again now. Still LOVE IT!!

So here's the part where I complain. The authoring is a little whacked. Why the AUTO PLAY of the audio whenever going to a new screen? I wish it could be an option. All of the YES Pangyric Blu-Rays are set up this way. FUCKING ANNOYING!!

So here's the part where I complain. The authoring is a little whacked. Why the AUTO PLAY of the audio whenever going to a new screen? I wish it could be an option. All of the YES Pangyric Blu-Rays are set up this way. FUCKING ANNOYING!!

The authoring is not whacked. It's meant to function as a Pure Audio Blu-Ray disc with headless operation (i.e. without a TV) so auto play absolutely makes sense, after all CDs and SACDs auto play.
But besides all that, is the language in this instance really necessary?

This is a plus not a minus.

Well... I don't like it. And I'm allowed to not like it.

And yes, any language is necessary for me if I care to use it. It's my 1st Amendment right.

Another great release of a great old album that sounds better than ever. Demo disc for me. I figured I'd keep both this and the old dvd-a version on my hard drive to have both versions to listen to, but this one makes the old one obsolete for me, so I just wiped the old one off.

I do have a problem with the authoring. I bought the dvd-a version and when I go to play the extras, I can't get out of it without waiting for the last song to end. The menu button does nothing. I can jump song to song but can't get back out of the extras. Anyone else?

K

Hm, got a problem with this disc (blu-ray version):
There's a big difference between the dts and LPCM versions when I switch between them. The rears are much more prominent on the LPCM Version.
I am doing anything wrong? I didn't experience that on the last 3 YES Wilson-Discs...

Hm, got a problem with this disc (blu-ray version):
There's a big difference between the dts and LPCM versions when I switch between them. The rears are much more prominent on the LPCM Version.
I am doing anything wrong? I didn't experience that on the last 3 YES Wilson-Discs...

I have this same issue with my Cambridge Audio 650BD (using analog outs). I first discovered it on an earlier Yes release (can't recall which) and posted to that thread. I've since gotten in the habit of selecting LPCM when available.

Wow!
BD layer is clearly better than the old DVD-A.
A perfect 10

This record must have caused me quite some hearing loss, back in the 80s I was listening to it through headphones very-very loud. Through the speakers bass would feed back to the turntable and muddle it up at full blast. The BD has none of that:banana:

I had the previous SACD version and it wasn't bad....just not very inspiring...but when I listened to this version it's a totally different experience...it was so well defined and dynamic that it caught my attention from the very start...like a good book that you just can't put down....and considering that this isn't my prime time content(but I do like it)for me to give this a 10 would be quite a task...to compare it to other 10's like Legend and the Doors is almost unthinkable...but that's exactly what I have done...this is a 10...one of the most improved surround versions I have every heard...considering that the previous version wasn't awful...for this to come this far in the improvement range is amazing...my hat is off to Steven Wilson for such a superb job...in a time when companies are reluctant to offer surround titles that have already been released in surround we have this offering....it was only a few years ago(2011)that the Japanese surround SACD was released for this title...I wish some companies would take note of this fact and quit worrying about the past...when you have something good to sell...it will sell..."build it and they will come"...anyway..if any other previous Fragile owners are on the fence about this release...my strong advice is to buy it!

It is just wonderful! The middle section of SSOTS with piano and vocals is just incredible. Always felt that part was a disappointment between the guitar driven beginning and end pieces, but no longer. And the terrific sound on the drums and bass are just stunning. Finally 'get' that section properly now - having sort of glossed over it for 40 years. Yikes! Overall another stunner = 10.

Well... I don't like it. And I'm allowed to not like it.

And yes, any language is necessary for me if I care to use it. It's my 1st Amendment right.

The 1st amendment protects your right to communicate your beliefs without fear of retaliation or censorship from the US government. It doesn't give you the right to be a vulgar idiot on a private forum. Whether you choose to do so or not is up to you (I think you've already made up your mind on that front) but don't do it under the preconception that you have some kind of inalienable right to do so. Being a member of this forum is a privelege for which we should all be greatful to Jon and the people that run this place, showing a little respect and decorum is literally the least you can do.

And to bring this back on topic, SW's (and Neil Wilkes, Opus, Pangeyric, and everyone involved) on this title continues to set the standard for what can be done with these kinds of high res/multichannel releases. Long may they continue!

Just listened to this properly at a good volume. The new blu ray is hand above better than the original DVDA. Good job and so many extras I find it hard to believe anyone could find anything to complain about. New mixes original mixes and remixes its all there on one disc

Another excellent release in this series of Steven Wilson Yes remixes. A series that MUST be continued :party !

Perfect in every respect. Superb clarity and surround mix as everyone is saying. I know this album inside out, and its never sounded better, Yes music is just made for surround. Great use of the rears with the backing vocals, and I'm amazed by how good the drums and bass sound on this. As others have said this, like the other Yes albums in this series, sounds better louder.

The packaging is really nice, and I love that they've included, in mini form, the booklet from the original LP release.

Some nice extra songs too, and alternative and instrumental mixes.

A definite 10 :D

I thought up some real pithy & silly & hilarious DennisMoore stuff to say, but then I realised, "Why waste it here?":mad:@:

Fact is: This clever young Englishmen seems to think exactly as I do when it comes to the new YES-Fragile BluRay, so I will
just echo his sentiments. (y)

oh... and please keep the idle chit-chat out of these lovely poll threads.(y)

Back