Steven Wilson Any suggestions on what we could do to get Tales out?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProgRules

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
We know Tales is one of your 2 fave Yes albums- and it's been rumored that you already completed the re-mixes for that. Many of us were very disappointed at your FB comment that the Fragile is the final release in the definitive series at present. We know if it was up to you, we'd have this already and understand that you have no control over when/if these things get released. But do you have any suggestions as to what we fans might do to get your Tales re-mixes released? A thread "Save the Tales" has been started in the rumors sections, where we're trying to document the desire for this. Anything else you could recommend?

Just tell us who to threaten/kill and we'll send our guy out right away! ;)

Just tell us who to threaten/kill and we'll send our guy out right away! ;)

I know you put a wink by this comment (which typically means it's a joke) but I still take offense at that last comment.
This is PANEGYRIC we're dealing with here, not a major label, so let me just remind you (and everyone else on here) of all the amazing things we would be without in surround if it weren't for the extraordinary efforts of this independent label: http://www.discogs.com/label/213526-Panegyric
(I think they were also key in helping to bring these XTC Surround Sound releases to market as well.)

What can we, as fans, do to help get "Tales" released? Buy all the current Yes definitive editions in at least one of the two released formats and wait to see how this next year unfolds.
END OF DISCUSSION.

I know you put a wink by this comment (which typically means it's a joke) but I still take offense at that last comment.
This is PANEGYRIC we're dealing with here, not a major label, so let me just remind you (and everyone else on here) of all the amazing things we would be without in surround if it weren't for the extraordinary efforts of this independent label: http://www.discogs.com/label/213526-Panegyric
(I think they were also key in helping to bring these XTC Surround Sound releases to market as well.)

What can we, as fans, do to help get "Tales" released? Buy all the current Yes definitive editions in at least one of the two released formats and wait to see how this next year unfolds.
END OF DISCUSSION.

Well said! Let's give it (and our generous champion) a rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So- you knew I was joking, but you took offense anyway? OK...

Just to be clear, I wasn't actually advocating threatening or murdering anyone- just using a joke to show the passion I have for getting this released.

As far as Panegyric, I never implied they were the ones holding this up- don't know why you assumed I was. I'm well aware of how much surround goodness they've been responsible for and I've shown my appreciation by spending quite a bit of coin on their products- while I've bought all the Yes releases, there are a lot more other things I've bought of theirs, including SW's releases. But it might just be possible that the good folks there might be very receptive to something like a kickstarter campaign for this release- if they have doubts about it's sales potential- IF they're the ones holding this back. I don't know.

As far as your "just buy what they've already put out, then wait and see," followed by your pronouncement to end discussion, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you're not being as arrogant as you seem to be coming off to me. I didn't start this thread for a discussion; I asked a simple question of Mr. Wilson. While our champion is amazingly busy, I don't think taking a minute to read this question will disturb his rest too much (personally, w/ everything he does, I don't know how he finds the time to sleep) and he is certainly free to ignore it or answer w/ a simple no.

On the other hand, given his previously-stated love for this album and all the hard work he put into the re-mixes (whether they were actually completed or not), I would imagine he wants this out there as much as many of us do. And it's possible he may have some idea(s) about something we could do to get this released or get it out sooner. It's not even outside the realm of possibility that his FB comment was a sly way to create a stir to get those holding this back to see what kind of response it generates.

So, instead of jumping on me for what I consider a perfectly reasonable question, how about we just let Steven respond or not as he sees fit?

You have to think (optimistically) that Tales will come out at some point, its just that the date hasn't been decided yet. We don't know for definite that SW's finished his work on it, but we do know by what he has said that he has done at least some work on it. And presumably somebody has paid him for this work, and will want to recoup that cost by an eventual commercial release.

Yes is my favourite band, and Tales one of my favourite albums, and I'm desperate to have it one day in the form of an SW surround release. The album sound would, in my opinion, benefit so much from this.

As for the commerciality of such a release I'd like to think that (optimistically again!) there are enough Yes fans still around that would buy this. There are also a lot of surround music fans, including many on this wonderful forum, who would buy it, but who may not be particularly Yes fans as such. As for sales numbers, surely any release by Yes would far outsell a Gentle Giant release, considering the fanbases, and Gentle Giant's Octopus has apparently entered the UK charts (rock) at number 34 (I don't know how much that means nowadays in terms of sales numbers, but still). Also Yes has historically had a far bigger fanbase than King Crimson, and their releases keep a-coming, so the sales potential must be there.

So- you knew I was joking, but you took offense anyway? OK...

Just to be clear, I wasn't actually advocating threatening or murdering anyone- just using a joke to show the passion I have for getting this released.

As far as Panegyric, I never implied they were the ones holding this up- don't know why you assumed I was. I'm well aware of how much surround goodness they've been responsible for and I've shown my appreciation by spending quite a bit of coin on their products- while I've bought all the Yes releases, there are a lot more other things I've bought of theirs, including SW's releases. But it might just be possible that the good folks there might be very receptive to something like a kickstarter campaign for this release- if they have doubts about it's sales potential- IF they're the ones holding this back. I don't know.

As far as your "just buy what they've already put out, then wait and see," followed by your pronouncement to end discussion, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume you're not being as arrogant as you seem to be coming off to me. I didn't start this thread for a discussion; I asked a simple question of Mr. Wilson. While our champion is amazingly busy, I don't think taking a minute to read this question will disturb his rest too much (personally, w/ everything he does, I don't know how he finds the time to sleep) and he is certainly free to ignore it or answer w/ a simple no.

On the other hand, given his previously-stated love for this album and all the hard work he put into the re-mixes (whether they were actually completed or not), I would imagine he wants this out there as much as many of us do. And it's possible he may have some idea(s) about something we could do to get this released or get it out sooner. It's not even outside the realm of possibility that his FB comment was a sly way to create a stir to get those holding this back to see what kind of response it generates.

So, instead of jumping on me for what I consider a perfectly reasonable question, how about we just let Steven respond or not as he sees fit?

There's definitely ways to show passion without using the kind of rhetoric like you used in the last line of your original post.
And while you definitely have a right to ask your question, the fact is there's nothing we can do to get something released at a certain time or in a certain way. The only thing we can do is buy (or not buy) what's released. Not only that, but realistically, we have only been waiting about a year thus far for a remixed release of "Tales", since "Close to the Edge" and "The Yes Album" were always going to be the first releases in the series.
To put this wait in an even larger perspective, we have been waiting since 2012 for "Roxy Music" (the year SW originally remixed it), and I have lost count of the number of years we have been waiting for "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair".
When you put all of this together with the fact that "Fragile" has barely been out for a week, I just think we should wait and see how things pan out during this upcoming year. We can always rabble-rouse if things don't pan out the way we hope they would after a certain amount of reasonable time… ;)

Back