SACD 5.1 running time limitation

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I was wondering how much running time can you get on the multichannel layer of an SACD.

The reason is that I think it would be cool if a label could do two quad albums on one disc! Exactly like AF has done but a two-fer title. Is it at least 74 or 76 minutes? Like two rock albums that don't run 45min. each.

Does one have to leave off one of the stereo layers to get max 5.1 running time?

I was wondering how much running time can you get on the multichannel layer of an SACD.

The reason is that I think it would be cool if a label could do two quad albums on one disc! Exactly like AF has done but a two-fer title. Is it at least 74 or 76 minutes? Like two rock albums that don't run 45min. each.

Does one have to leave off one of the stereo layers to get max 5.1 running time?

Depends on the length of the album. Analogue Productions has released albums by The Beach Boys which have the same tracks in both Mono and Stereo SACD in the Stereo SACD track area.
The same could be done for tracks for two different albums - and still have the CD Audio and even Multichannel SACD tracks.

You'd have to include the Stereo SACD and CD Audio tracks for such a project to work financially for the reissue label.

Based on my rough calculation, depending the achievable DST compression ratio, a dual layer multichannel only SACD can store ca. 2.8h of 5.1 surround audio data. I don't believe such a SACD was/will be ever produced.

MFSL did two-fer gold CDs back in the day, Like Marianne Faithful, Ten Years After, and Blue Oyster Cult.

So I was thinking that a quad 4.0 two-fer by AF, if it would fit would be way cool and be a nice value, and convincing for someone on the fence about the purchase. There are some albums which would fit, but I don't think very many.

Marianne Faithful? I missed that one. Which two titles was it?

There was a Beach Boys twofer also. Surfer Girl and some other one. Sounded real lousy.

Broken English and Strange Weather
http://www.amoeba.com/broken-englis...ld-disc-cd-marianne-faithfull/albums/2962211/

See the way I look at it AF might be trying to decide which title they should do out of three possibilities of quad mixed albums by a given artist. Then they realize each album is less than 35 minutes long, and a two-few is not way out of line licensing costs, and the fans like both albums equally, so ok why not try one of these since it all fits.

See the way I look at it AF might be trying to decide which title they should do out of three possibilities of quad mixed albums by a given artist. Then they realize each album is less than 35 minutes long, and a two-few is not way out of line licensing costs, and the fans like both albums equally, so ok why not try one of these since it all fits.

The way the licensing works, Audio Fidelity and the reissue labels have to pay a guaranteed minimum for each album they license.
So, they could put 2 different albums on a disc - but that 2-album disc would have to sell twice as many copies as a single disc to make the guaranteed minimum back.
An even higher hurdle than usual.

The way the licensing works, Audio Fidelity and the reissue labels have to pay a guaranteed minimum for each album they license.
So, they could put 2 different albums on a disc - but that 2-album disc would have to sell twice as many copies as a single disc to make the guaranteed minimum back.
An even higher hurdle than usual.

MFSL did it and did not charge double for the disc. Maybe they were just in a charitable mood?

The only possibility to do such a thing is on double album set, and both LP had to be short lenght. Not many quad titles to choose.. probably only Ike&Tina Turner live, Shaft soundtrack. War live is too long to fit on a single cd, Sahara Tahoe too.

Back