SACD Surround Sound & Two More Channels

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Stereophile continues their nostalgia series with an article from 1969 titled "Two More Channels"
Among the responses is a guy who owns some Multichannel SACDs but has yet to listen to the surround channels.

Oh well...

"Was thinking the other day about how many multi-channel sacds I have sitting around here but I've never bothered to spend the time/money to set up a surround system.
Then I realized that I've never heard a unifying collective of voices praising multi-channel sacds or surround for music in general.

So I guess I've never felt it was worth the extra expense and hassle.
Wish I knew someone with a nice surround setup so I could audition my discs on their system first. I am mighty curious about what is on the extra channels on some of these SACDs."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/two-more-channels#HViTjjdu5fSM538t.97

Shoot, I don't think I've played the stereo tracks on a M/C SACD or DVD-A maybe once or twice by accident. I mean, I bought them for the surround, and listening to them in stereo would be like I just bought the CD. What's the point?

Even when I'm playing my iPod in the car, and I get to a tune that I know I have in surround on a disc, I skip it because why listen to it in stereo?

Must admit, it's the opposite for me.
I'm predominantly a 2 channel guy, so I've played the MC tracks on maybe 20% of my discs.
Part of the problem is having two systems and the theatre system is rarely available for MC listening. It means kicking my wife out of that room and that would not end well for me LOL
My goal, once I get a functioning universal player again, is to play each MC disc at least once.

Shoot, I don't think I've played the stereo tracks on a M/C SACD or DVD-A maybe once or twice by accident. I mean, I bought them for the surround, and listening to them in stereo would be like I just bought the CD. What's the point?

Even when I'm playing my iPod in the car, and I get to a tune that I know I have in surround on a disc, I skip it because why listen to it in stereo?

Occasionally I will play the stereo versions of the Steven Wilson remixes such as Aqualung just to hear what he did with them. I recommend putting oneself in the sweet spot between the stereo speakers. It reinforces what an artistic / technological genius this guy really is.

When I'm forced to buy these sets with CD's in them to get the surround disc.... I don't listen to the CD's...like most people here I have more surround music than I can listen to on a regular basis(not complaining:)) so those CD's are for the most part untouched....same with the stereo mixes on surround discs...they don't interest me..

Back