More ELP remasters/releases/reissues - Deja Vu All Over Again!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Elp, back in the early 70's as aprog rock band nobody could touch them, I don't give a fuck about the charge of being, over the top.
Problem is there is not much stuff to left to do, it will be a case of rehashing more of the same, but I would dearly love a redo of WBMFTTSTNE, also there must be live recordings of that tour, if Yes can dig them up why can't ELP

I love Elp, back in the early 70's as aprog rock band nobody could touch them, I don't give a fuck about the charge of being, over the top.
Problem is there is not much stuff to left to do, it will be a case of rehashing more of the same, but I would dearly love a redo of WBMFTTSTNE, also there must be live recordings of that tour, if Yes can dig them up why can't ELP

The problem and biggest obstacle has a name: GREG LAKE.....
SW couldn't work with him after the S/T and Tarkus...Jakko then took over for Trilogy and then gave up when Greg Lake futzed with his mix (3rd movement which he made into a bass "solo")....

SW couldn't work with him after the S/T and Tarkus...Jakko then took over for Trilogy and then gave up when Greg Lake futzed with his mix (3rd movement which he made into a bass "solo")....

Just so no one's confused by the wording, it's "Brain Salad Surgery" (not "Trilogy") that has the 'bass solo', where the bass is turned up so high in the last song it drowns out pretty much everything else.
But honestly, from what I have heard, Carl Palmer is no better. He was largely hands-off when the remixes were being completed, then he bad-mouthed them and their creators after they had already been released, so there's no doubt in my mind that working with (E)LP is a toxic affair. Engineers, beware… ;)

I've always considered my 2000 DVD-A of BSS as my goto reference disc.

I say leave that one alone, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

I've always considered my 2000 DVD-A of BSS as my goto reference disc.

I say leave that one alone, don't fix it if it ain't broke.

It is a most interesting mix and quite revealing too!
The sound is way more crystalline than the original mix , and it "respects" it too up to a point...I find it a bit "revisionist", but it still is a satisfying mix...

Jakko's is remix is also great because it emulates the "dark" sound that the LP had, you just have to ..."abstract" the overpowering bass on the 3rd movement....

Errr...i know you meant Brain Salad Surgery, but Jakko did Trilogy after that, so he did work with ELP after that. Anyway, where did you heard that story?

Errr...i know you meant Brain Salad Surgery, but Jakko did Trilogy after that, so he did work with ELP after that. Anyway, where did you heard that story?

False. AFAIK, even though "Brain Salad Surgery" was released first, Jakko remixed "Trilogy" sometime in the first half of 2013, then he moved onto "Brain Salad Surgery" in the middle of 2013.

The thing about ELP's reissues is that it's not merely a lack of source material, it's a lack of organization.
Shall I give you an example? The Manticore Special. The BBC have the original footage in 16mm and rebroadcast it in 2009. Excerpts from this transfer were used in Beyond The Beginning. When they included it in the BSS deluxe edition, it was the old dodgy video transfer from the 90s with all the greens and blues. URGH!
Another example is the wealth of material they found on the BSS mutltiracks. There is a complete list here:
http://www.brain-salad-surgery.de/40th_anniversary_super_deluxe_edition.html
They could have filled an entire CD with the jams alone. There was also a lot of alternate Trilogy material. And yet all we got was the 2007 bonus tracks plus instrumental mixes of KE93rdI and BSS the song on the Brain Salad Surgery reissue and an alternate moog solo on From The Beginning on Trilogy. BOLLOCKS!

I couldn't agree with you more. For what I read in other posts, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer might be a problem for future releases and future engineers. I also got a strong feeling ELP management sucks since always. They look like amateurs to me. Apparently, if they can cut corners and not move their butts, they will. I can't believe the incapacity they have to find rare and important material. I just cannot believe they couldn't search (and find) the complete Cal Jam 74 video -- look at Deep Purple, who released their Cal Jam show in early 2000s! The fan base is also so sad about years of being "beaten" by the itinerant catalog and (most of the time) presentation of irrelevant unreleased material that, apparently, they can't join forces and have a strong community like "genesis movement" etc. Really sad.

I couldn't agree with you more. For what I read in other posts, Greg Lake and Carl Palmer might be a problem for future releases and future engineers. I also got a strong feeling ELP management sucks since always. They look like amateurs to me. Apparently, if they can cut corners and not move their butts, they will. I can't believe the incapacity they have to find rare and important material. I just cannot believe they couldn't search (and find) the complete Cal Jam 74 video -- look at Deep Purple, who released their Cal Jam show in early 2000s! The fan base is also so sad about years of being "beaten" by the itinerant catalog and (most of the time) presentation of irrelevant unreleased material that, apparently, they can't join forces and have a strong community like "genesis movement" etc. Really sad.

The reason for this is because Purple's management bought the footage from ABC some time after the event. It was originally released on VHS in 1981. (For some reason, they didn't bought the multitracks, which were probably wiped pretty soon after the tapes were remixed for the broadcast.) As far as i know, all that remains from the other acts are the broadcast tapes and copies of those.

Not that this is the same thing as a true 5.1 release, but for those that are unaware, there does exist an early Dolby pro logic encoded version of "Pictures at an Exhibition" that was included on the "In the Hot Seat" CD.

That was a new studio recording originally included on the 1993 'Return to the Manticore' box set.

Back