Blood, Sweat & Tears Bloodlines 4 SACD Set: Multichannel + Stereo SACD (May 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'll be a poor seller because they included the surround mixes. Surround doesn't sell. Always blame the surround layer for poor sales. Best. Scapegoat. Ever.

It's being marketed as a Stereo SACD Box Set - not a Multichannel SACD Set.
And early interest has been quite high.

All signs point to it doing quite well.
It's already # 8 on the Top 50 Selling SACDs In The Last Month chart at Acoustic Sounds, even though it's only been available for a week. :)

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=topsellers&Field_cat=4

I have one word...

UGH
I agree. I just can't get behind this, and it's not the $150.00, but rather Audio Fidelity did a good job on the 4.0, 5.1, and stereo discs, you know the names, added for good sake it's Blood Sweat and Tears not even in the R&R HOF. If it where not for Audio Fidelitys 3 discs I would have definately purchased, but as it is, forget it even though I KNOW Analogue Productions will do a fine job. I ask AP from a business model, why do this venture ? The AP Creedence and SVR box sets made sense, this does not, maybe they needed a fail for tax purposes ?

I ask AP from a business model, why do this venture ? The AP Creedence and SVR box sets made sense, this does not.

The answer is pretty obvious. Blood, Sweat & Tears albums sell on SACD.

That's why we have SACDs of multiple BS&T albums from Sony, Mobile Fidelity, Audio Fidelity and now Analogue Productions.
As always, the reissue labels license what makes a profit and skip the artists and albums that do not.

It's already # 8 on the Top 50 Selling SACDs In The Last Month chart at Acoustic Sounds, even though it's only been available for a week. :)

I don't mean to be churlish, but how is #8 on a niche website like Acoustic Sounds an indication of 'all signs'? It could have sold 5, 50, or 500 copies - unless you have other info you aren't sharing with the rest of the class?

how is #8 on a niche website like Acoustic Sounds an indication of 'all signs'?

Acoustic Sounds, the parent company of Analogue Productions, sells more SACDs these days than anyone else.
So their Top Selling SACD Charts are a good indication of what SACDs are selling.

And it helps inform their choice of artists and albums to reissue on SACD.
Much as Music Direct, owner of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, uses their SACD sales info to inform their artist and album choices for SACD release.

I look at that chart as being nothing more than a hype chart of what they hope and wish to sell that week.

Acoustic Sounds, the parent company of Analogue Productions, sells more SACDs these days than anyone else.
So their Top Selling SACD Charts are a good indication of what SACDs are selling.

And it helps inform their choice of artists and albums to reissue on SACD.
Much as Music Direct, owner of Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, uses their SACD sales info to inform their artist and album choices for SACD release.
I also read Chad's unsubstantiated claim that they sell more SACD than anyone else.

I am more of a cynic than some,... true.

I look at that chart as being nothing more than a hype chart of what they hope and wish to sell that week.

I also read Chad's unsubstantiated claim that they sell more SACD than anyone else.

I am more of a cynic than some,... true.

Well, when you talk to the companies that make SACDs, they will tell you Acoustic Sounds is a big player in the SACD market.
And it explains why Acoustic Sounds and their counterparts at Elusive Disc and Music Direct get SACDs ahead of other web sites.

I would think it's obvious that Acoustic Sounds is the largest seller of SACDs.
Since they are the most consistent issuer of SACDs as well, even if I buy at Music Direct or Elusive Disc or Amazon, AS is still getting a big cut.

This will be my last purchase of these. No. Really. Not even if they remix them with the horn parts all a cappella. No Sirree. Not me. Unh-UNNNNH. No can do. (Well, maybe.....)
The vinyl sounds terrific, but there were some very small defects in the CIFTTM label. Very small hairline white imperfections. The SACD's sound....well....like SACD's, which means not a WHOLE lot better than the Friday re-remastering. But I can tell some subtle differences, thus far. I'll post more as I listen more.

There were a number of "weirdnesses" on 4 that I've conversed with Roy Halee about. (One was that thing that sounds like a bias/level tone on an unmuted channel during the first horn break of GDG.....) Roy said he didn't know WHAT it was either. There's some editing derring-do on "For My Lady" (Ballads were apparently the source of a LOT of friction, if you believe the Bios that have come out, but I think they're all terrific anyway) where the chart sort of comes to an end and then starts again during some of the Celeste/Mallet Percussion exotica. I have to wonder if that tune was EVER performed in a stadium. If it was, and it was in the U.S., I feel sure somebody yelled "Freebird" even if it was still years in the future. Those guys had real guts to play stuff that nice in Halls THAT big and "UN-Concert Hall" like. Good for them.....

I still say CK should follow up with "Even Bloodierlines" and reissue New Blood and No Sweat. They're "Jumpier/Jivey-ier" than the Original/Classic four, but quite fine in their own way. I wish the Horns weren't so dry on New Blood, but you can't have everything. There's some SERIOUSLY nice, low Bass Transients on the Leslie Organ on "Song For John" on "No Sweat". That's a vastly underappreciated record. I think it would've sold better if they'd just changed the name of the band....but that's just me...ymmv.....

Back