Blood, Sweat & Tears Bloodlines 4 SACD Set: Multichannel + Stereo SACD (May 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might have had a winner here if they'd included either the unreleased Quad mixes of B,S&T 3 and 4 or offered up modern 5.1 remixes of the same. No dice?

No sale.

Were quad mixes actually done of the 3rd and 4th albums?

Ditto. 'Lukewarm' on the heels of Audio Fidelity's recent QUAD/5.1 SACDs of BS&T and Child Is Father To The Man, which, IMO, are exceptional* and paying $75 each for 3 and 4 in STEREO when Quad masters do exist is outrageously in poor taste.

As per usual with Analogue Productions.........they also charge you for the freakin' box!

[* I paid about $22 delivered for each AF SACD and not $37.50 each which is AP's asking price]. So, by my calculations, AP is charging $30 for each SACD and $30 for the [friggin'] box....and it doesn't even come with Chocolates!:yikes

BLOODLINES, Huh............ Should be called :yikesSUCKING BLOOD!:yikes

NO QUAD ....... NO PARTING WITH THE WAD

I guess I'll do another disservice to myself and avoid these like the MoFi plague. LOL! :ugham:

Were quad mixes actually done of the 3rd and 4th albums?

Not that I know of.
However, this set could have been a winner if they would have included the Greatest Hits as a Multichannel SACD, something that Audio Fidelity did not do themselves.
And of course if they would make each SACD release available separately like they did for the Doors, that would be even better.
As it stands right now however, I won't go near this either. I already have what I want out of this set, and I doubt the sound on the Multichannel mixes would be much different than what AF already released.

I would first of all like to apologize for my initial 'rant' regarding AP's release of Bloodlines as I didn't do my research to discover that BS&T 3 and 4 were NOT previously remixed in QUAD. What probably threw me off was that BS&T's greatest Hits in QUAD does contain tracks from both discs (probably created expressly for the GH's package).

I also wholeheartedly agree with rtbluray that AP SHOULD HAVE included the unreleased QUAD version of BS&T's Greatest Hits to make this release somewhat special.

What probably irked me the most was that Marshall Blonstein, CEO of Audio Fidelity, was always vigilant about NOT releasing SACDs which 'stepped on the toes' of MoFi and AP's Stereo ONLY releases which, we, at QQ used to refer to as "Quadblocking,' and probably a wise commercial decision, as well.

I'm sure like AP's re~release of the DOORS box set on multichannel SACD (again, basically replicating the DVD~A 5.1 Perception Box release with NEW stereo remixes) BS&T will eventually and hopefully see individual releases of all four discs.

As it stands, I won't be investing in Bloodlines as I am perfectly satisfied with Audio Fidelity's two BS&T 5.1/QUAD SACDs and cannot justify paying a king's ransom just for 3 & 4 in STEREO.

And to add insult to injury, here is Amazon's initial listing for Bloodlines: https://www.amazon.com/Bloodlines-S...737893&sr=1-3&keywords=Blood,+sweat+and+tears

It's actually $50 MORE than AP's projected $150 price point!

However, this set could have been a winner if they would have included the Greatest Hits as a Multichannel SACD.

That's very unlikely since Chad Kassem at Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds is a collector and fan of specific albums which he selects for reissues.
While Marshall Blonstein at Audio Fidelity is a former major label exec (Columbia Records, Island Records' President and co-founder of Ode Records) who loves Best Of and Collection albums - which Audio Fidelity reissues.

That's very unlikely since Chad Kassem at Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds is a collector and fan of specific albums which he selects for reissues.

And seemingly/unequivocally, Chad selects the BEST material for Vinyl reissue and 'begrudgingly' chooses the crumbs for SACD reissue........and the same mindset applies to MoFi, as well.

And seemingly, Chad selects the BEST material for Vinyl reissue and 'begrudgingly' chooses the crumbs for SACD reissue........and the same mindset applies to MoFi, as well.

In a number of cases, albums that are available for reissue on Vinyl LP are not made available for SACD reissue by the record label and artist.
That's a key factor as well.

In a number of cases, albums that are available for reissue on Vinyl LP are not made available for SACD reissue by the record label and artist.
That's a key factor as well.

Which really doesn't make sense at all since Vinyl is not an archival medium (every time you play a record 'it dies a little') but the artists perception that Analogue IS In and Digital is OUT always perplexes me.

Methinks, if the powers that be put as much effort into making Digital sound infinitely better than analogue to satisfy the purists, we wouldn't be having this discussion but at this juncture it's a moot point.

I know we have DSD256 but in theory it only applies to downloads (NO SACD machine is capable of physically playing it via disc) but let's be real....PCM is still the preferred format for Motion Pictures, TV and the recording industry at large and in some cases, some artists still prefer to record in analogue so until this crazy industry gets its act together and consistently decides on a single format this 'schizophrenia' which pervades the industry will always be ultimately frustrating.

Please, never make a reasoned argument for this on the hoffman board...they will burn you as a heretic.

While Marshall Blonstein at Audio Fidelity is a former major label exec (Columbia Records, Island Records' President and co-founder of Ode Records) who loves Best Of and Collection albums - which Audio Fidelity reissues.

If only Audio Fidelity would have done the right thing and released their BS&T GH SACD as Multichannel. I know there's overlap with "Child is Father to the Man" and BS&T (II), but there are those extra tracks on there from other BS&T albums, plus the mixes are on the GH as opposed to the "Child is Father to the Man" 5.1, so it would have been different enough for me to go for it if it was Multichannel, but when we all found out it was stereo-only, I gladly sat that release out.

Isn't this set likely to be a poor seller for AP simply because the best two albums included have not only previously been released on SACD - but they are both currently still in stock at many online retailers?

And in the case of the S/T second album, this is the forth release on SACD (DSD), of an album that also got a previous a MFSL gold disc issue.

It is interesting that Marshall at AF has so strongly avoided titles which have already had DSD reissues (with the exception of BS&T), but other companies (like AP) have less fear of that factor having a negative impact on sales, or so it seems. Maybe AP are about to see what a stiff looks like.

Isn't this set likely to be a poor seller for AP simply because the best two albums included have not only previously been released on SACD - but they are both currently still in stock at many online retailers?

And in the case of the S/T second album, this is the forth release on SACD (DSD), of an album that also got a previous a MFSL gold disc issue.

It is interesting that Marshall at AF has so strongly avoided titles which have already had DSD reissues (with the exception of BS&T), but other companies (like AP) have less fear of that factor having a negative impact on sales, or so it seems. Maybe AP are about to see what a stiff looks like.

Chad Kassem once boasted in an interview that Acoustic Sounds sells more SACDs then any retailer in the world. I'm sure they'll sell.

Perhaps Marshall Blonstein should have been more aggressive and avoided the supposed Quadblock clause and just released some of MoFi and AP stereo SACD releases which had a QUAD remix and that's that. But apparently, the stereo layer is the more preferred so Marshall chose wisely not to duplicate what MoFi and/or AP released. Would sure love to have The Cars, Jefferson Airplane, Santana and Carly Simon, etc. on QUAD SACDs.

Which really doesn't make sense at all since Vinyl is not an archival medium (every time you play a record 'it dies a little') but the artists perception that Analogue IS In and Digital is OUT always perplexes me.

The reissue labels are at the mercy of the major record labels and artists that control the albums - in terms of which ones are available for reissue and in what format.

I don't see why AP should have much trouble selling SACDs of these albums. Seems like just the type of classic rock that stereo audiophiles love to buy again and again. Business as usual.

Please, never make a reasoned argument for this on the hoffman board...they will burn you as a heretic.

Here I thought it was just blood, sweat & tears.
Just a warming...:popcorn

death-execution-execution-king-monarch-monarchy-rman15538_low.jpg

I don't see why AP should have much trouble selling SACDs of these albums. Seems like just the type of classic rock that stereo audiophiles love to buy again and again. Business as usual.

I'm sure the set will do fine. Already hearing some excitement about the announcement from some listeners.
Sony Music, Mobile Fidelity, Audio Fidelity and now Analogue Productions have reissued albums by Blood, Sweat and Tears on SACD. The sales must be doing well :)

It'll be a poor seller because they included the surround mixes. Surround doesn't sell. Always blame the surround layer for poor sales. Best. Scapegoat. Ever.

It'll be a poor seller because they included the surround mixes. Surround doesn't sell. Always blame the surround layer for poor sales. Best. Scapegoat. Ever.

Ain't that the truth. It always makes the PURIST'S blood boil when they get a whiff that there's a :yikes surround layer on their shiny disc! IF ONLY they could wipe it off with a cotton ball soaked in formaldehyde!:banana:

Back