Audacity vs Audition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seilerbird

600 Club - QQ All-Star
I have been using Adobe Audition for all my sound editing tasks for forever, or at least since it was Cool Edit Pro 1.5. How does it compare to Audacity? I have never used it and would like to try it out if it compares favorably.

I used CE pro from it's first release right up to Adobe Audition V3 mainly for two channel (stereo) loop editing back when I was doing some song writing/music production. I always found it quick, intuitive, nice looking and very comprehensive.

After a long hiatus I have just started doing some more (very basic so far) music editing and decided to use Audacity. By comparison I find it non-intuitive and "clunky" with a steep learning curve, but to be fair in my so far limited experience I haven't found anything I could do in CEP/AA that I cannot do in Audacity yet, albeit harder to find/manipulate.

Please take this with a bit of a pinch of salt because although I new CEP/AA pretty much inside out I haven't invested much time in Audacity yet. I guess the key "take away" from my comments is don't expect it to be similar in terms of look/feel, shortcuts etc. Expect to have to invest time in the learning curve.

I started in Audacity, and there are some things I find much easier in Audacity: splicing, for example. The declicker is way better in Audition though.

I use Audacity for its multichannel features. I prefer Soundforge over CEP/Audition for 2 channel because of a couple editing features that are either nonexistent or difficult to figure out in any of the others.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Ha - I also find Audacity non intuitive. But then I'm a noob....

So, here's a question about Audacity... I already have my vinyl copied, and I thought I read that you can add song names to the file. So, I spent 45 minutes manually adding song names...not so hard, just takes time. I also thought I read that once you do that...then when you export the files to a specified folder (I chose to export to Flac) it would carry those song names along...well...it didn't. All that work and yet all I now have is a file with the title of the album...and it plays straight through with no reference to different songs...

Annoying...now I know why I hate programs like this...at least for me, they are simply not intuitive, nor are they easy. So...what the hell is the trick to add song names? What did I do wrong...what did I do right?

:)

What format were the final files? WAV or a compressed format like FLAC?

You can't tag 'WAV' files (well, you can, but most of the time it won't work). You can tag FLAC files.

You can't tag 'WAV' files (well, you can, but most of the time it won't work). You can tag FLAC files.
The people who engineered the CD back in the 70s were obviously very brilliant men and women. Why didn't they think to add a tag for the title? So instead of the LED on CD players proudly displaying the title of a song it displayed the time that has elapsed since the beginning of the song. Totally worthless information.

You can name wav files with song title. But not every program will recognize those song titles. It's not the cd inventors fault when a program does not carry over any data you've added.

My first cd rippling program did it well "Plex Tools" or whatever that program was called that came with my plextor burner. Nero could see those titles added when I would burn the resulting files, names showed up for them too.

But somewhere along the line it never became standard I guess. I still sometimes will rip an old comp I made years ago and I can see my old song titles on the files still, how touching, some times oddly abbreviated names I wrote.

Last edited:
All that work and yet all I now have is a file with the title of the album...and it plays straight through with no reference to different songs...

Annoying...now I know why I hate programs like this...at least for me, they are simply not intuitive, nor are they easy. So...what the hell is the trick to add song names? What did I do wrong...what did I do right?

:)

Did you name the tracks in the timeline? That's not going to work for you. Off the top of my head, I think if you want to name them individually you need to export them individually. You can input meta data on a batch export, but I think you have less control on the actual file name.

I wouldn't worry about tagging within the editing programs, leave that to mp3tag or foobar as the final step once the editing is done...

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

Back