Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
hey all - I'm probably gonna get me a turntable...just for the fun of it. I won't get into brands, etc. My basic question is - knowing I have a powerhouse sub, do I have to worry about the sub creating vibrations with the turntable that could result in sounds I don't want to be hearing picked up through the cartridge/needle? My table would be about 6 feet away from the sub...but you know, the sub can really thump.

Hi GOS, I suggest that if you do go analog on us that you consider putting your sub across the room from the turntable and also consider a wall mount turntable shelf if you have wood floors. A load bearing wall is best, if possible. Plenty of people have both turntables and subs so go ahead. Also, stay away from lightweight tables, try heavy ones like Thorens or 1200 series Duals or the like with suspension chassis or a DJ type like the Technics SL1200. You will want the damping that these tables offer. Next thing I know, you AND Fredblue will be my rivals on the quad LP market! Just kidding of course, welcome aboard.

Hi GOS, I suggest that if you do go analog on us that you consider putting your sub across the room from the turntable and also consider a wall mount turntable shelf if you have wood floors. A load bearing wall is best, if possible. Plenty of people have both turntables and subs so go ahead. Also, stay away from lightweight tables, try heavy ones like Thorens or 1200 series Duals or the like with suspension chassis or a DJ type like the Technics SL1200. You will want the damping that these tables offer. Next thing I know, you AND Fredblue will be my rivals on the quad LP market! Just kidding of course, welcome aboard.

Thanks for the comments - actually I do have wood floors. Would a table in the 20-24 pound range provide enough "weight"? ~10 kilos

I think that is more enough as long as there is damping material inside or is on springs. Don't just look for a table made from stone. What I was trying to do was to steer you away from tables that are hollow plastic and could be used as frisbees like most $99 specials and no-name brands. If you can find it at Wal-Mart or Best Buy, you won't be happy.

hey all - I'm probably gonna get me a turntable...just for the fun of it. I won't get into brands, etc. My basic question is - knowing I have a powerhouse sub, do I have to worry about the sub creating vibrations with the turntable that could result in sounds I don't want to be hearing picked up through the cartridge/needle? My table would be about 6 feet away from the sub...but you know, the sub can really thump.

It can be an issue. I've seen systems where low bass at high volumes would cause mistracking. But that's the extreme, more often it just muddies the overall sound to some degree. You can pay a lot of money for turntables with great suspension systems to combat this, but I doubt you'd want to do that "just for the fun of it". The next best thing is a cheaper table and you provide some added isolation for it. Hence all the special spikes, sand filled platforms, etc that were sold back in the vinyl days. The idea is to couple the table mechanically to something big and heavy so vibrations are absorbed, I've seen instances of unbelievable isolation using inexpensive Duals and wall mount shelves. The wall weighs a lot, and modern wood frame construction provides walls that are surprisingly well decoupled from the floor. What will you be setting the turntable on ? and how good is the mechanical connection between what you are setting it on and what the sub is sitting on? Is the floor wood? concrete?

There are some really cool vintage tables that sometimes can be had for a song. I was always fascinated by Garrard zero-100s

Edit.... wow. In the time I took to post this, Vibes was already on the caper ... great minds think alike.

Thanks guys. Well, I haven't thought through all the details. As I said, yeah - wood floors. I have a closet that I could play around with in terms of table placement...maybe even on the wall. But you are correct. I'm not going head over heals by any means. Truthfully, I refuse to spend more than $400 new. Of course I used to have vinyl back in the day...but that was pre-subs...so this is new territory for me. Also, I've never had a system that can crank like this one either.

Next thing I know, you AND Fredblue will be my rivals on the quad LP market! Just kidding of course, welcome aboard.

Naahh.. you don't have to worry, I'm no rival to my fellow Quaddies in Canada and the U.S.A. ("my rival, show me my rival"..! :D ) Seriously I've been getting a lot of these old Quad records from shops and online folks based in the UK and surprisingly lots from online sellers in Europe too (I picked up half a dozen SQ LPs on my way home from work tonight for example, I'll post pics in the Matrix LP thread soon.. some interesting ones there) I've only bought SQ LPs from sellers in the States of the stuff I really couldn't find here and in Europe :)

Well - to be clear...I'm not going quad...just a standard table. I don't have the space to add all the equipment to listen to Quad LP's. As much fun as it must be....

Take a look at a Project Debut if you wanna go new. Its well within that budget.

I have been looking at those.....do you think it's a much better unit than say Audio Technica LP120? I suppose it's better....it's lighter weight though. The AT is about 23 pounds and the Project is about 13 pounds I think.

I have been looking at those.....do you think it's a much better unit than say Audio Technica LP120? I suppose it's better....it's lighter weight though. The AT is about 23 pounds and the Project is about 13 pounds I think.

If you're worried about the sub affecting the overall sound, these are available but they ain't cheap http://www.superfi.co.uk/images/product/large/103498_1_.jpg.

They mount on the wall and decouple the turntable from external vibrations.

It's not about getting the heaviest, just enough for damping vibrations. Both are suitable. Me, I'd go vintage and spend the extra coin on albums and a new cartridge. Or maybe save a bit towards the SM or someone special. I have a soft spot for the older Duals and deals can be had. The wall shelf is prolly the best upgrade though, regardless of the table you choose. I think the Target branded shelves are between $75 and $150.

fwiw I'm using the original Project Debut SB I bought around 15 years ago to this day... its on its last legs but it still works, I'm squeezing the dregs out of it before I try something new!

What makes a turntable be "on its last legs" ... you got like one original foot and piles of blocks where the others used to be??:)

What makes a turntable be "on its last legs" ... you got like one original foot and piles of blocks where the others used to be??:)

Haha! Noo.. you make it sound like "Bride Of Franken-table"..! :D

Though it is funny you should mention blocks.. as the Project hasn't been abused (or even used) much but it was involved in a rather nasty incident when a load of building materials were dropped onto it.. the acrylic lid saved it somewhat but the lid was completely smashed.. I thought I had chucked the entire turntable away at the time but when I was in the process of packing to move house earlier this year I found it in a box.. so I got it up and running with a few spare parts.. and my SQ vinyl folly began..! :eek:

Back