Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't see your equipment list so i can't know what you are hearing at home with your vinyl.

Very old Sony PS-X75 with an Audio-Technica AT440MLa going into an inexpensive but well reviewed no-name preamp. Perfect records sound great, but I find perfect records to be incredibly rare. I also do a lot of listening with headphones, so for better or worse I hear all the imperfections.

but in direct comparison of the original issue of brothers in arms (my first cd that i was truly enamored of and is excellent sound) the dollar cutout i bought trounced it sonically.

Do you find the CD too bright in comparison to the vinyl? It's often speculated that the original CD of that album was mastered with pre-emphasis but left the flag off in error, so no CD player knows to de-emphasize it. It's possible to rip the CD and perform the de-emphasis via software (using SoX) if you feel like experimenting. I don't have an opinion one way or the other.

For me, vinyl is just a good time. Nothing more. I don't really think there is harm in spending money.......
My TT is good enough, that the vinyl I play sounds really good. Better than other formats? Geez - who cares......

So, it's possible I've drummed up a similar question, but I'm fairly sick of my TT needing to be next to my AVR. I want to move it. So...

My TT has it's own phono pre-amp built in......yet the last time I tried to buy longer cables...I got the dreaded hum/feedback. Pretty bad actually. But...but....I've been reading on another forum and everyone says if you want to utilize longer cables, you should buy an outboard pre-amp and make sure the cables from pre-amp to TT are short...then you could use longer cables from pre-amp to AVR.

Based on my internal pre-amp already making a lot of noise with longer cables...I guess I don't get that theory. Distance from my internal pre-amp to my TT is already as short as it can be (right??).....

Or, am I missing something here?

So, it's possible I've drummed up a similar question, but I'm fairly sick of my TT needing to be next to my AVR. I want to move it. So...

My TT has it's own phono pre-amp built in......yet the last time I tried to buy longer cables...I got the dreaded hum/feedback. Pretty bad actually. But...but....I've been reading on another forum and everyone says if you want to utilize longer cables, you should buy an outboard pre-amp and make sure the cables from pre-amp to TT are short...then you could use longer cables from pre-amp to AVR.

Based on my internal pre-amp already making a lot of noise with longer cables...I guess I don't get that theory. Distance from my internal pre-amp to my TT is already as short as it can be (right??).....

Gene, I'm hardly a TT expert but have you ever tried experimenting with BETTER cables. A quick call to Music Direct with their 60 day iron clad return policy might solve the problem. They're always having sales on demo cables, etc. but a quick chat with one of their salespeople who are really into analogue might save you a bundle down the road. Wouldn't hurt and there's NO obligation to buy anything. In the past, MD's salespeople have rendered me nothing but good advice.

Gene, I'm hardly a TT expert but have you ever tried experimenting with BETTER cables. A quick call to Music Direct with their 60 day iron clad return policy might solve the problem. They're always having sales on demo cables, etc. but a quick chat with one of their salespeople who are really into analogue might save you a bundle down the road. Wouldn't hurt and there's NO obligation to buy anything. In the past, MD's salespeople have rendered me nothing but good advice.

I have not, but this might be a case where better are surely warranted. At least to try...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they are shielded they should be fine. You don't need to spend $$$ to avoid mains hum. Have you earthed your turntable since you moved it? If you're getting feedback, is your turntable too close to your speakers?

I certainly don't have expensive cabling, but both the pre-amp (a little Schiit.....that's the audio company name...) and the table definitely need grounded. I'd experiment with the location and grounding first. Yes I had intermittent loud "hum" before doing so also, but alas I am no guru either.

If the hum is as bad as you make it sound I would definitely play around with the grounding as Mike and John have already mentioned. Do this before you spend any additional money on fancy cables.

Since your table has the pre built in, the cable requirements aren't any different than they would be for a CD player. Are you talking about electrical hum or acoustic feedback? Does it change with volume? You can't place your table of the same surface that a speaker is on.

Since your table has a built in pre I don't believe there is a grounding lug. The cart would be grounded to the pre internally.

Since your table has the pre built in, the cable requirements aren't any different than they would be for a CD player. Are you talking about electrical hum or acoustic feedback? Does it change with volume? You can't place your table of the same surface that a speaker is on.

Since your table has a built in pre I don't believe there is a grounding lug. The cart would be grounded to the pre internally.

Yeah that's true too. It should already be grounded. Is the hum problem a recent development?

What about grounding at the AC main for the turntable?

My TT does come with a ground wire, and I have that grounded. Maybe it was interference from my speaker. I dunno. I'd say they were about 3 ft apart.

Did it happen with the turntable in the same place as before? Is the cable shieled? Did you leave any spare length in a coil?

My guess is that your table has a switchable pre. If so, you would have to ground when the pre is off but not when it is on. He's a question, did you read the manual? I have never owned a table with a built in pre, so I am going somewhat on supposition regarding the ground. That said, I have had a lot of experience with acoustic feedback. If the table and a speaker are on the same surface, it doesn't matter if they are 30 feet apart. Very few tables (a Technics 1200 for example) won't give you feedback issues when used in that type of environment.

Back