Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snood gotta ask........what was with the Titanic Poster?? Where is the Star Trek stuff? :mad:@:

Haha, it is the door in to my then 10 year old daughters room - so the the door and the walls around are hers to decorate :) The rest of the tv/surround room is mine to decorate - with a lot of Trek and SciFi stuff :)

Edit: Like my 3 foot Enterprise model, around 300 diodes i think.

IMG_9430web_zpsy7nc9exu.jpg

And a Millenium Falcon:

IMG_7242web.jpg

I found a newer (taken 4 years ago I think) photo taken of the same place as the Titanic poster photo:

IMG_9249web_zpse8b0b2f4.jpg

When I got a new 350 liter fish tank (I got 7 of different sizes) - Snood - look to the left in the photo!!!!!

:banana:

(The calendar behind the tank is Star Trek, the left pile of books are Alistar MacLean - The right Harold Robbins!!!!)

And there are no more "Keep Out" "Don't Come In" drawings on the door to my daughters room :)

Now have 2 layers of concrete blocks supporting my turntable. And, I'm using hockey pucks between turntable and blocks. It works superior. I have absolutely zero vibration or hum, which is what I was looking for.

I dunno how perfect it looks, but it looks good enough, and now the TT is "1 block higher", so I can reach it much better. Now I can enjoy my vinyl to the fullest with no concerns at high volumes about any feedback or hum/vibration.

:banana:

why not paint the blocks satin black?

Wow! The OM 20 upgrade from the OM 10 is striking. I think I'm in love. lmao

:)

I think I started with the 10...but the upgrade from the 20 to the 30 was.....WHOOOOAAA!!!!!!

When I took out the 30 out of the package I was DUMBFOUNDED by the sheer SIZE of the stylus...it's REAAAAALLY LONG.....

One thing I LOVE about these Ortofon stylii is ALL THE harmonics they "create"; hence the BRIGHT sound...and I can't get enough of it...ENJOY IT!!!!! (I have the feeling that sooner than later , you'll upgrade to the 30....If I had the dough, I'd upgrade to the 40!!!!!)

For the last year, I haven't had my turntable hooked up to my PC via the USB cable. Initially upon purchase I did and ripped a couple albums and then moved stuff around and it wouldn't reach.

Today, finally moved a few things and able to reach...and well...I have dozens of albums purchased since back then. Ripping a mint copy of April Wine - First Glance vinyl via Audacity. :)

Minor troubles in the Land of Gos:)

Not sure why I would now have issues with Audacity and ripping vinyl. Done it before...just not lately. I'm sure there is some setting that got changed, I've tried about everything.

Long story short. When I listen to my vinyl, prior to ripping...through Audacity, there are instruments glaringly missing. So, I play a vinyl through my AVR and there are horns loud and clear in the left speaker. I hook up my TT via USB and utilize Audacity. Play the same track (live) from my TT only listening through Audacity and those horns are simply missing. Or, I should say, they are so buried in the sound I can barely hear them.

Anyone know why? I've tried moving my USB cable to a different port...same. I have no clue what to do or why this is happening.

So, I play a vinyl through my AVR and there are horns loud and clear in the left speaker. I hook up my TT via USB and utilize Audacity. Play the same track (live) from my TT only listening through Audacity and those horns are simply missing. Or, I should say, they are so buried in the sound I can barely hear them.

Anyone know why? I've tried moving my USB cable to a different port...same. I have no clue what to do or why this is happening.

Yes, you're probably just getting one channel played out into two channels. Check your settings that you're taking in two channels, and that your sample rates match up.

EDIT - PREFERENCES - DEVICES - RECORDING, CHANNELS: 2 (Stereo)

Yes, you're probably just getting one channel played out into two channels. Check your settings that you're taking in two channels, and that your sample rates match up.

EDIT - PREFERENCES - DEVICES - RECORDING, CHANNELS: 2 (Stereo)

I wish it were that easy. I have it set to stereo. :(

What you mean, sample rates match up? I thought you could only edit sample rates in preferences? (a single box)

I wish it were that easy. I have it set to stereo. :(

What you mean, sample rates match up? I thought you could only edit sample rates in preferences? (a single box)

Also in the timeline, I think. Check your sound card, if the sample/bit rate setting doesn't match up to what you have in audacity that could be a problem. Also there may be a two channel setting there as well. I can't remember what I did when I had the same problem, but I think it was in one of those areas.

Also in the timeline, I think. Check your sound card, if the sample/bit rate setting doesn't match up to what you have in audacity that could be a problem. Also there may be a two channel setting there as well. I can't remember what I did when I had the same problem, but I think it was in one of those areas.

That almost sounds logical. Thanks. I'll look into that. :)

I checked all the settings. Nothing is out of line. I went as far as uninstalling Audacity and reinstalling. Same problems. It's pretty significant too. I mean, it's glaringly wrong. I keep playing the album, hear horns in right speaker. Then open Audacity, hit record, play same track and those horns are just gone. Most other sounds are intact, in both speakers, though some are so low I can't hear them (cowbell that should be loud in left, is very soft and nearly non-existent) ...but others, as I said are just gone. Very upsetting.

I tried changing USB port, same problem. Rebooted computer, unplugged AVR, started back up. Same problems. Changed settings in Audacity, over and over looking for solution...same problem. I'm clueless.

How are you saving/exporting your files? Could you be saving/exporting as a low sample rate mp3, which when played back could cut-out a lot of things due to the compression algorithm, not as a FLAC?

I checked all the settings. Nothing is out of line. I went as far as uninstalling Audacity and reinstalling. Same problems. It's pretty significant too. I mean, it's glaringly wrong. I keep playing the album, hear horns in right speaker. Then open Audacity, hit record, play same track and those horns are just gone. Most other sounds are intact, in both speakers, though some are so low I can't hear them (cowbell that should be loud in left, is very soft and nearly non-existent) ...but others, as I said are just gone. Very upsetting.

I tried changing USB port, same problem. Rebooted computer, unplugged AVR, started back up. Same problems. Changed settings in Audacity, over and over looking for solution...same problem. I'm clueless.

How are you saving/exporting your files? Could you be saving/exporting as a low sample rate mp3, which when played back could cut-out a lot of things due to the compression algorithm, not as a FLAC?

Heck Duncan, I haven't even gotten that far. What I'm describing is during the recording process...because you can listen "live" as you record. But yeah, I ripped a whole album, not realizing that things were missing.....exported to Flac and noticed it didn't sound right. So, deleted that and starte:(d over and at that time noticed that it wasn't right even as it was being recorded.

I just joined the Audacity Forum and posed my problems. I'm sure they will think I'm a nut. lol
Thing is, I didn't see any topics that discussed ripping albums. Odd.....of course, I didn't look super hard. New forums always are a challenge...

I've done that through headphones, so if your sample rate is OK, then could it be the settings on the turntable USB interface? If my memory serves me its a Pro-Ject Essential USB isn't it?
Check under Control Panel/Sound/Recording/Microphone USB Audio CODEC/Properties/  Advanced: set to 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz.

Heck Duncan, I haven't even gotten that far. What I'm describing is during the recording process...because you can listen "live" as you record. But yeah, I ripped a whole album, not realizing that things were missing.....exported to Flac and noticed it didn't sound right. So, deleted that and starte:(d over and at that time noticed that it wasn't right even as it was being recorded.

Back