Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done that through headphones, so if your sample rate is OK, then could it be the settings on the turntable USB interface? If my memory serves me its a Pro-Ject Essential USB isn't it?
Check under Control Panel/Sound/Recording/Microphone USB Audio CODEC/Properties/  Advanced: set to 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz.

:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Duncan! You are a genius!!! That was it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I checked those settings (never seen them before) and they were set to 1 channel, 16 bit, 48000Hz. I scrolled down, selected the 2 channel and it worked! WOW!!

Thank you!! You have given me back my sanity. :mad:@:

Glad it worked! But :yikes we're into 4.0/5.1 music and I get the feeling the majority of the world thinks we are insane!

I've been having issues with Windows 10 updates wiping out settings, and refusing to acknowledge bits of kit exist, yet they worked before the update! Latest one disabled my Intel Graphics, refused to recognise my DVD & BD burners, it took about an hour to track down and reset the software. So if you're running Windows expect to have to go and do it again after software updates.

:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes:yikes

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Duncan! You are a genius!!! That was it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I checked those settings (never seen them before) and they were set to 1 channel, 16 bit, 48000Hz. I scrolled down, selected the 2 channel and it worked! WOW!!

Thank you!! You have given me back my sanity. :mad:@:

I've been having issues with Windows 10 updates wiping out settings, and refusing to acknowledge bits of kit exist, yet they worked before the update!

Yes, that Windows 10 update needed to be far more thoroughly trialled before it was released. We nearly lost a laptop to it. It wouldn't acknowledge the DVD drive after the update and I had to delete some useful software to get rid of the newly introduced conflict. Later the screen just went black. In the end I had to remove the hard drive, plug it into an old desktop tower, which thankfully was able to boot up despite older hardware being involved and eventually went back to Windows 7. That actually failed to complete in the tower, but when I put the hard drive back into the laptop it was able to finish the process. The screen blacked out one more time after that - albeit briefly - and that was enough to make me think the laptop might have been coincidentally going down so we bought a new one. Windows 10 cost us a lot of money! It seems we can't trust their software that tells us if we're 100% compatible for the upgrade.

Question for those who have ripped lots of vinyl, using Audacity. So, for those that use the click removal tool in Audacity, do you simply zero in on the obvious clicks, then remove those?

Or, do you hi-lite the whole album, and run click removal across the whole thing? If yes, then what settings do you use to ensure you're not removing other sounds? You know what I mean?

In Click Removal - a window pops up and there are 2 parameters. Threshold and Max Spike Width.

:)

Question for those who have ripped lots of vinyl, using Audacity. So, for those that use the click removal tool in Audacity, do you simply zero in on the obvious clicks, then remove those?

Or, do you hi-lite the whole album, and run click removal across the whole thing? If yes, then what settings do you use to ensure you're not removing other sounds? You know what I mean?

In Click Removal - a window pops up and there are 2 parameters. Threshold and Max Spike Width.

:)

i'm far (far!) from expert in these things Gene but i have put a few records thru Audacity the last couple of years.. have you tried wet cleaning those clicky records first? for some LPs it works wonders.. for others not so much, I think some records are beyond hope!

fwiw these days I always do a good clean through the record cleaning machine first before resorting to using software clickery trickery.. oh and I would never just run click removal over the whole file in one go, only a v.v.small section at most, if that.. most times I leave all the little crackles and just target the big clicks wiping them out manually rather than use the click removal process, by zooming right in and trying to obliterate as much of the click as possible by hand and ear while not losing too much of the music.

i'm far (far!) from expert in these things Gene but i have put a few records thru Audacity the last couple of years.. have you tried wet cleaning those clicky records first? for some LPs it works wonders.. for others not so much, I think some records are beyond hope!

fwiw these days I always do a good clean through the record cleaning machine first before resorting to using software clickery trickery.. oh and I would never just run click removal over the whole file in one go, only a v.v.small section at most, if that.. most times I leave all the little crackles and just target the big clicks wiping them out manually rather than use the click removal process, by zooming right in and trying to obliterate as much of the click as possible by hand and ear while not losing too much of the music.

haha - I was hoping you would comment. Yes, all my vinyl (old and new) has been cleaned with a wet system. OK, I sort of assumed you shouldn't anti-click the whole thing. I have essentially done what you do. I Just ripped a brand new (old, but never opened) copy of Tom Jones - She's A Lady. It turned out really good I'd say. :)

I ran a boatload of mp3s through Audition and many were recorded from records. I usually just processed the entire file and didn't worry about removing music. The declicker in Audition works really well. I forget my settings because that was over 7 years ago. I did have to remove individual clicks but that was only on stuff that came from 78s. I did a lot of 20s and 30s music and they were click heavy. Mp3s of 78s don't have a lot of music in the higher registers so it was painless. Here is an example on a song that took a massive amount of declicking and processing. Doesn't sound great but it was recorded 100 years ago, Original Dixieland Jazz Band doing Tiger Rag.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vZF6_ChElTY210Y250NGVQWlE/view?usp=sharing

Ironically, I have a brand new copy of Donovan - Barabajagal and the music sounds great...but oddly, it's a little clicky. So, how does a brand new vinyl sound clicky and others don't? So, I guess that click-i-ness (when it's new) must be related to quality of the pressing... ???

Ironically, I have a brand new copy of Donovan - Barabajabal and the music sounds great...but oddly, it's a little clicky. So, how does a brand new vinyl sound clicky and others don't? So, I guess that click-i-ness (when it's new) must be related to quality of the pressing... ???

I should say, it's not loud clicks like an older vinyl. Very subtle...mostly in very quiet moments or between songs.

If you're not seeing much 'debris' on the stylus, then its not lots of dirt in the grooves, it could be that as its new vinyl its still quite prone to static build-up and is pulling in dust which is causing the soft clicks. I'd play it a few times to see if the clicks go away, I had that on one of the Led Zep box set LPs, it went after a couple of plays. It could be due to the pressing though.

Ironically, I have a brand new copy of Donovan - Barabajagal and the music sounds great...but oddly, it's a little clicky. So, how does a brand new vinyl sound clicky and others don't? So, I guess that click-i-ness (when it's new) must be related to quality of the pressing... ???

If you're not seeing much 'debris' on the stylus, then its not lots of dirt in the grooves, it could be that as its new vinyl its still quite prone to static build-up and is pulling in dust which is causing the soft clicks. I'd play it a few times to see if the clicks go away, I had that on one of the Led Zep box set LPs, it went after a couple of plays. It could be due to the pressing though.

I ran it through my vinyl washer, same exact sound. No, no debris on stylus.

Static electricity.

Static electricity.

Probably clicking cause.....Zerostats are pricey, there are numerous home remedies that I can't say if they work or not. I still have an original discwasher brush from the 70's. And I used antistatic solution on the brush after I used the D4+ solution. Static was a definite issue in the dry indoors of winter months.

Simple inexpensive way to remove static electricity from a record. Carbon Fiber Brush. DSCF5404 (Medium).JPG

Aah, turntables. Finally a subject of which I am not a luddite (unlike surround, but I'm learning). Brand new records will often be a bit clicky because many pressing plants no longer "dehorn" the stampers, believing that the process also removes actual musical info (though this is somewhat controversial). At any rate, if a new album sounds "clicky" on the first play, give it a half dozen or so plays (not all in one day) before you record it. This will often clean it up significantly.

If I may, I would NEVER use the NR in Audacity. It absolutely removes musical info. I recommend a program called "Click Repair". http://www.clickrepair.net/software_download/ It is inexpensive and even has a 30 day audition so you can decide if you like it or not. It is NOT NR but rather an automated pencil tool. I've used dozens of programs for this purpose and this is the only one I like. Plus, it is written and sold by a hobbyist like us, not a corporation.

Record cleaning also helps, but it is a HUGE subject that has been covered in many venues. I'll just tell you that I use this solution and love it. https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/ I wrote a review of it on AK (post #49, sorry the pics got nuked in the Photobucket debacle). http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/100-usd-record-cleaning-machine-by-canfab3d.673269/page-3

I didn't read all of this, but if you never found an isolation solution, I used a pair of simple "L" shelf brackets (preferably mounted to studs). I attached a piece of heavy butcher block and put rubber grommets between all contact points. I have probably $60 in the project and the kids and I can dance on our wooden floors with no issue. If you get any feedback from the sub, take the dustcover off when playing records. Those pieces of acrylic tend to act like guitar sound boards, amplifying any vibration that hits them. Cheap, common sense solutions, I'm all about that.

So, if that is the reason - then I'd say next time I have a mono album, I better record it with Audacity set to stereo. I'll do it over and see if that eliminates those oddities I mentioned.
Thanks for the comments.

Always record to stereo. This makes it easier for CR to remove clicks that are only one one groove wall or the other. After you've cleaned, then fold to mono for all of the benefits that offers.

Oh, and static electricity does NOT cause audible clicks in records. What it does do is attract contaminants which in turn can cause audible clicks. I found a Zerostat at a yard sale for $10 and it has been an indispensable part of my playback. I also use a carbon fibre brush. For best results re: static, hold the brush in one hand while grounding yourself to a metal part of the table with the other. Some pricier brushes have grounding straps built in.

Cool..welcome to the ClickRepair "Club", markshan.....I've been singing the praises of this EXCELLENT program for YEARS...the new "version" is even better....
Also, people are always "complaining" that it takes out musical info..not so, that is why it has the window on top...reds are clicks , blue is musical info that it did NOT take out because it seemed like it was noise...

Aah, turntables. Finally a subject of which I am not a luddite (unlike surround, but I'm learning). Brand new records will often be a bit clicky because many pressing plants no longer "dehorn" the stampers, believing that the process also removes actual musical info (though this is somewhat controversial). At any rate, if a new album sounds "clicky" on the first play, give it a half dozen or so plays (not all in one day) before you record it. This will often clean it up significantly.

If I may, I would NEVER use the NR in Audacity. It absolutely removes musical info. I recommend a program called "Click Repair". http://www.clickrepair.net/software_download/ It is inexpensive and even has a 30 day audition so you can decide if you like it or not. It is NOT NR but rather an automated pencil tool. I've used dozens of programs for this purpose and this is the only one I like. Plus, it is written and sold by a hobbyist like us, not a corporation.

Record cleaning also helps, but it is a HUGE subject that has been covered in many venues. I'll just tell you that I use this solution and love it. https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/ I wrote a review of it on AK (post #49, sorry the pics got nuked in the Photobucket debacle). http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/100-usd-record-cleaning-machine-by-canfab3d.673269/page-3

I didn't read all of this, but if you never found an isolation solution, I used a pair of simple "L" shelf brackets (preferably mounted to studs). I attached a piece of heavy butcher block and put rubber grommets between all contact points. I have probably $60 in the project and the kids and I can dance on our wooden floors with no issue. If you get any feedback from the sub, take the dustcover off when playing records. Those pieces of acrylic tend to act like guitar sound boards, amplifying any vibration that hits them. Cheap, common sense solutions, I'm all about that.

Back