Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case you haven't got there yet:

Go to top line, and select Edit, then Preferences. Under Import/Export, uncheck "Always mix all tracks down to Stereo or Mono channel(s)". When you export a file (at least as a wav, haven't tried other formats) you can assign each track to channels. In your time line you should have six mono tracks. 1-6 go as follows: FL, FR, Centre, Sub, BL, BR. I can't remember if I tried encoding as four channel; from what I remember used silent channels (possibly tried blank at some point) for centre and sub.

In case you haven't got there yet:

Go to top line, and select Edit, then Preferences. Under Import/Export, uncheck "Always mix all tracks down to Stereo or Mono channel(s)". When you export a file (at least as a wav, haven't tried other formats) you can assign each track to channels. In your time line you should have six mono tracks. 1-6 go as follows: FL, FR, Centre, Sub, BL, BR. I can't remember if I tried encoding as four channel; from what I remember used silent channels (possibly tried blank at some point) for centre and sub.

Bravo! :D Thanks! :upthumb

So, I've been ripping vinyl (terminology??) from turntable via USB to Audacity. I thought all was well, until I put on an older Priest album. In particular, the song The Ripper starts out with some fast dramatic left to right panning of Rob Halford's voice. It's a very obvious and dramatic moment. When I went to play my music via Foobar, I realized there were elements of the recording simply muted way down. LIke that 2 second panning of his voice. They are faintly audible, but clearly not right. What the heck could be causing this?

Of course, I went right back to my album and played it and sure enough, it's all there. So, it's either a setting in Audacity...and I cannot imagine what it is....or something else. Since the connection from my turntable to my laptop is a very simple, single cable (USB)...no chance of something mixed up there.

If you were not super familiar with the music, you would never know anything were wrong - that is to say, all other elements of the recording sound spot on. Any ideas QQ?

So, I've been ripping vinyl (terminology??) from turntable via USB to Audacity. I thought all was well, until I put on an older Priest album. In particular, the song The Ripper starts out with some fast dramatic left to right panning of Rob Halford's voice. It's a very obvious and dramatic moment. When I went to play my music via Foobar, I realized there were elements of the recording simply muted way down. LIke that 2 second panning of his voice. They are faintly audible, but clearly not right. What the heck could be causing this?

Of course, I went right back to my album and played it and sure enough, it's all there. So, it's either a setting in Audacity...and I cannot imagine what it is....or something else. Since the connection from my turntable to my laptop is a very simple, single cable (USB)...no chance of something mixed up there.

If you were not super familiar with the music, you would never know anything were wrong - that is to say, all other elements of the recording sound spot on. Any ideas QQ?

Intriguing! There is a Vocal Remover under Effects, but that is a post processing action.

I'd try recording just that bit again and monitor via headphones from Audacity as you record.

Ohh. how peculiar! :D Well I've no experience with it (well very very little to the point of virtually none) but could something be going on with Foobar, some setting or such you've overlooked..?

..or maybe somethings up with the audio out on your computer, seeing as the issue doesn't manifest itself when you physically play the record on the turntable?

Spooky! :yikes

Intriguing! There is a Vocal Remover under Effects, but that is a post processing action.

I'd try recording just that bit again and monitor via headphones from Audacity as you record.

I don't need to use headphones. There is a setting in Audacity where the audio is coming from the laptop, not the stereo...and for sure...it doesn't sound right. Yet, if I turn up the stereo to overrun the laptop...it sounds normal. Ugh....

oH, bummer. I really thought someone would step up and say...hey, GOS....change this setting. Oh well...not sure what to do.

you could WeT'fer me a clip of that L to R vocal pan and see how it.. pans out my end?
if it doesn't zoom from Left to Right here then things get more interesting.. :eek:

I don't need to use headphones. There is a setting in Audacity where the audio is coming from the laptop, not the stereo...and for sure...it doesn't sound right. Yet, if I turn up the stereo to overrun the laptop...it sounds normal. Ugh....

(sorry.. :eek: ) your laptop speaker(s) mono, maybe?

It is fixable. I've had the same problem. I can't remember what the cause was though. Hmm, maybe I can. If your soundcard is set to high res input or quality or something, (beyond 48k???) that may be a problem. Your pre-amp USB out will only be in the region of 44.1k.

Also in Audacity: Edit, Preferences, Devices. Look at the bottom of this window and check Recording and Channels is set to 2 (Stereo).

It is fixable. I've had the same problem. I can't remember what the cause was though. Hmm, maybe I can. If your soundcard is set to high res input or quality or something, (beyond 48k???) that may be a problem. Your pre-amp USB out will only be in the region of 44.1k.

Also in Audacity: Edit, Preferences, Devices. Look at the bottom of this window and check Recording and Channels is set to 2 (Stereo).

I already have/had it set to 2-stereo. The soundcard on my laptop appears to be set at CD quality or 44k ish. Also, I did a very NOOB test and played that same song from youtube through my laptop and of course, all the sounds are intact, unlike when I play it through my laptop via Audacity. Does that then point to a problem with Audacity? I'm still too much of a NOOB to know the answer to that....

I already have/had it set to 2-stereo. The soundcard on my laptop appears to be set at CD quality or 44k ish. Also, I did a very NOOB test and played that same song from youtube through my laptop and of course, all the sounds are intact, unlike when I play it through my laptop via Audacity. Does that then point to a problem with Audacity? I'm still too much of a NOOB to know the answer to that....

Hang on a minute.. I have to set my monitor out on Audacity to off in software play through or it crashes or glitches the program every time.. but I noticed in the past that when I did use it in such a way for Stereo files, Audacity played back everything in a kind of "Dual Mono".. so that would explain the lack of panning, it doesn't playback in true Stereo.

Problem solved! (I think.. I hope!)

NEXT!!???

Oh and PS. Have you tried setting it to record at any other resolution?
Or is 44.1 / 16, the only one the DAC via USB can do on your Pro-Ject?
(I'm a 96 / 24 zealot, you see.. LMAO.. :D )

Hang on a minute.. I have to set my monitor out on Audacity to off in software play through or it crashes or glitches the program every time.. but I noticed in the past that when I did use it in such a way for Stereo files, Audacity played back everything in a kind of "Dual Mono".. so that would explain the lack of panning, it doesn't playback in true Stereo.

Problem solved! (I think.. I hope!)

NEXT!!???

Oh and PS. Have you tried setting it to record at any other resolution?
Or is 44.1 / 16, the only one the DAC via USB can do on your Pro-Ject?
(I'm a 96 / 24 zealot, you see.. LMAO.. :D )

You might be on to something....look at this screenshot of my current settings...notice the playthrough and the comment about un checking it if in stereo!!!

Capture.JPG

Back