Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that makes any difference. It also means you can't monitor the recording when taking a USB input - or at least that's how it works for me. Also, set your input to USB rather than Microsoft Sound Mapper - I can't remember the reason for that one.

You might be on to something....look at this screenshot of my current settings...notice the playthrough and the comment about un checking it if in stereo!!!

View attachment 24711

You know Gene, I say it a lot on here (and I do have a reputation for being a joker) but I really am seriously not technically-minded at all, I have very little idea about all this computer stuff -- BUT I am a determined little bastard - and so I persevere.. and that is one of the many weird things I have discovered about Audacity, it doesn't play through Stereo stuff properly (let alone Quad and 5.1.. can you imagine to a Luddite like me what a shock it was a couple of months ago going from only ever doing the occasional thing in Stereo in Audacity that I could barely cope with as it was, to doing full on 4 and 6 channel stuff in it.. a baptism of fire is the best way I can describe it..!!! :yikes :flame

How are you getting on with it now? Any joy? Anything I've missed?
(I've been and had lunch meantime! Ah I love it when I have Saturdays off)

I don't think that makes any difference. It also means you can't monitor the recording when taking a USB input - or at least that's how it works for me. Also, set your input to USB rather than Microsoft Sound Mapper - I can't remember the reason for that one.
DAmmit, you are right...I recorded again and the problem still exists....

I have felt the same pain! It's a steep learning curve - at least it was for me.

So how does it sound now?....was it worth getting this feature?

Oh, heck yes. I love it....especially if I buy albums that are simply not being released on other formats. I'm all for it. I'm copying the Uriah Heep debut album and it sounds amazing. I plan on having the 2 channel version and then I'm gonna run it through the SpecWeb process and make a 5.1 version as I KNOW it will have very discreet sounding moments.

It's easy to get frustrated when things are not intuitive and you start wondering if you just won't figure it out. But, that's why this forum is so amazing, so many have been there...done that. Usually just a matter of time before someone helps figure stuff out. :)

That was it! I had to change it from 1 channel to 2 channel. Whoa...thanks dude! Thanks Adam and Mike for the trouble shooting. I would have never gotten it... :)

Oh don't let me take any credit for anything! I was no help at all! Let's Thank AquaMike and leave it at that! :D

I got it down now....I can rip an album to Audacity, easily tag the song names, export to my music folder and all is good. Pretty easy really. I mean, yeah...it takes some patience and work...but usually nothing worthwhile is without a little elbow grease, right?

Does anyone know how to deal with some of the "rumble" I'm hearing in more quiet moments in songs? I don't really know if I hear it during normal playback, but I hear it sometimes when I ripped to Audacity.... ideas? Comments? What can improve this or eliminate it? Brand new record, not warped, etc.

Are you monitoring on head phones on audacity as opposed to listening to vinyl through the speakers? Do you hear the same rumble on the locked inner groove of all the records - if so that's the turntable and you could be stuck with it, although a different mat might make a difference. Are the records freshly cleaned for the transfer? What is the turntable sat on, and is it the same platform as the PC/laptop?

Are you monitoring on head phones on audacity as opposed to listening to vinyl through the speakers? Do you hear the same rumble on the locked inner groove of all the records - if so that's the turntable and you could be stuck with it, although a different mat might make a difference. Are the records freshly cleaned for the transfer? What is the turntable sat on, and is it the same platform as the PC/laptop?

Not headphones. I listen through laptop speakers while recording and since there is no bass on laptop, can't notice there. The rumble is specifically coming from my sub. I don't notice it in the same groove of all records, no. Yes, freshly cleaned and brand new. Yes, my turntable and laptop are right next to each other on same shelf...maybe 10 inches apart.

Okay, for a start I'd advise not to use your sub when transferring (I don't use my speakers generally at all for transferring, I monitor using headphones from the laptop). Secondly I would advise not having the laptop on the same platform in case any hard drive/fan vibration, etc. is getting though. See if those make a difference.

Okay, for a start I'd advise not to use your sub when transferring (I don't use my speakers generally at all for transferring, I monitor using headphones from the laptop). Secondly I would advise not having the laptop on the same platform in case any hard drive/fan vibration, etc. is getting though. See if those make a difference.

This is FANTASTIC advice! I only wish I had received it many LPs ago! :D

I normally leave my REL on the whole time (no remote control, it's got no automatic mode to kick in of its own accord and the on/off switch is tucked away and hard to get at, since the manufacturer recommends having the actual speaker facing the wall and of course that's where the cluster of controls are.. D'OH..! :eek: ) ..anyway I digress, I recently turned off the sub and when doing vinyl transfers noticed an annoying hum that had been there sometime had GONE! :yikes

I recently purchased a new stylus for my cart which had a dust brush attached. The brush made a horrible sound due to it being too stiff. When I disabled the dust brush the sound was completely eliminated. Don't know if your stylus has one but Just in case.

I recently purchased a new stylus for my cart which had a dust brush attached. The brush made a horrible sound due to it being too stiff. When I disabled the dust brush the sound was completely eliminated. Don't know if your stylus has one but Just in case.

Thanks for the comments, but no, no dust brush. :)

Back