Turntable question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Fred! When you wash your records, consider using a new paint brush and scrub gently with the grooves. You will find it is better than with a rag or sponge. I like a brush with nylon bristles so it can't be contaminated with mold or label dyes. Here is what I use. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003W1CRE6?keywords=liquitex%20paddle%20brush&qid=1449874746&ref_=sr_1_fkmr0_1&sr=8-1-fkmr0

The bristles look very much like the type I use (I should say seldom use. because I don't use it near enough) in the old school Nitty Gritty machine I have. Anybody else got one of those babies?

OK, back on topic you guys...lmao. I have another question. Many of the "nicer" turntables that are in my price range have to rely on the AVR having dedicated phone inputs. My denon does. so, should I really get a table that doesn't have it's own preamp...is it better to buy a seperate preamp as opposed to relying on my Denon? Probably I'm not getting the terminology correct, but I bet you guys know what I mean...

OK, back on topic you guys...lmao. I have another question. Many of the "nicer" turntables that are in my price range have to rely on the AVR having dedicated phone inputs. My denon does. so, should I really get a table that doesn't have it's own preamp...is it better to buy a seperate preamp as opposed to relying on my Denon? Probably I'm not getting the terminology correct, but I bet you guys know what I mean...

Phono Preamps are like every other piece of an analog rig. They range in price from $50 to thousands of dollars. For now use the inputs in the Denon. Just make sure you get a Moving Magnet cartridge, unless your Denon has Moving Coil inputs as well (it may call them MM or MC). If you really get into vinyl, there will be plenty of phono preamps to look into. Put the money into records and a cheap way to clean them for now. Anyone know if they still sell Discwasher sets?

and BTW... Vintage Denon tables are some of the best Japanese direct drive units to be had. Might look cool with your other Denon gear.

Phono Preamps are like every other piece of an analog rig. They range in price from $50 to thousands of dollars. For now use the inputs in the Denon. Just make sure you get a Moving Magnet cartridge, unless your Denon has Moving Coil inputs as well (it may call them MM or MC). If you really get into vinyl, there will be plenty of phono preamps to look into. Put the money into records and a cheap way to clean them for now. Anyone know if they still sell Discwasher sets?

OK, thanks for that bit of info. I don't know if my Denon has MM or MC. I have the Denon X4000 AVR. Probably it says somewhere...but who knows.

OK, thanks for that bit of info. I don't know if my Denon has MM or MC. I have the Denon X4000 AVR. Probably it says somewhere...but who knows.

They will all have MM inputs. MC inputs are much rarer. They will be the same input jacks on your Denon, probably with a switch to select MM/MC. MC cartridges are also typically much more expensive than MM types and the stylus is usually not replaceable on them.

What do all you seasoned table guys think of the Teac TN300? Sure looks cool, but other than that.....no clue.
In my seasoning days, TEAC only made tape recorders. Check for a vintage technics, denon, thorens, or dual. Any thought given to how much automation you want? The best stuff has none.

I looked at the Teac. It is pretty nice, and gets good reviews. About $350 on Amazon. I would not think the internal phono preamp would be any better than the one in your Denon AV, and you can bypass it anyway. The digital out probably isn't useful to you since the Denon can digitize it as well. You can probably get a better table that may or may not look as sexy by going vintage. And its not like there have been a lot of turntable breakthroughs in the last 30 years, so its not like you are missing out on better technology. If anything this stuff was built better 30 years ago.

Do you know if your Denon has any analog bass management? To keep those subs a pumpin you may be forced to digitize the tables output and listen to a digital conversion of the analog output. And you don't wont to do that unless you have.

Unfortunately the new RCA Discwasher sets are not the same as the original ones with directional fibres, I prefer a carbon fibre brush to a Discwasher pad any day. As to automation on turntables, I prefer automatic shut off or return. I bought a Technics 1200 and the first time I had my hands full and couldn't reach the player in time, I heard the most annoying sound in the world, the end of a record. I switched back to auto return and the 1200 went into the garage. I can't hear the difference in tables with or without auto. A little convenience is worth whatever I am missing from not using a full manual. My preference is to look after the records and buy styli and cartridges as necessary and stick with working vintage turntables. I spend my time buying more music and playing it and cleaning it. That what is important to me. I just feel the dollar value to pleasure value ratio just doesn't cut it for me with modern turntables on the market.

For my 2 cents of input:
Turntable: more than you want to spend, but I bought a Pioneer PLX-1000
Weighs about 30 lbs. My house has a heavy door to garage, when it slams, my prior turntables would skip, the plx-1000 does not. So, seems pretty good for outside vibrations.
Good review in Stereophile magazine.

Phono preamp: Musical fidelity V-LPS, for it's price, I liked it just fine. Now 2 generations old. Both Stereophile and TAS liked it. Should fit in your budget if you want to bypass
the phono section in your receiver.

Record cleaner: VPI 16.5. Had mine for many years and still going strong, cleans very well for me.

vinylguy4

I'm almost 100% certain I will buy new....I don't want to worry about someone elses problems. At least for now.....I will give up high end to get all the basic needs for now. Though, I don't want cheap/crap...no chance.

I am extremely happy with my Rega RP-1, which can be had for about $450 I believe. I have a large sub sitting about 5 feet away from it and have had zero issues with bass vibrations coloring the sound, even at high volumes, nothing but clean, tight bass. Granted, my sub sits on a carpeted concrete floor, but I feel like there's a lot of room for error with this setup. The Rega is light weight but very stable.

I am extremely happy with my Rega RP-1, which can be had for about $450 I believe. I have a large sub sitting about 5 feet away from it and have had zero issues with bass vibrations coloring the sound, even at high volumes, nothing but clean, tight bass. Granted, my sub sits on a carpeted concrete floor, but I feel like there's a lot of room for error with this setup. The Rega is light weight but very stable.

That is excellent news, thanks for the comments.

GOS,,,, decide what level of automation you want. This http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449881781&sr=1-5&keywords=turntable will do exactly what that TEAC will do for less money. Watch the video. But neither of these offers any automation. Have you ever had a turntable before? What did you have? Are you comfortable with setting the needle on the record and resetting it when it ends? You need auto queuing? Will you settle for auto end of record pickup? Do you need fully automatic?

GOS,,,, decide what level of automation you want. This http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449881781&sr=1-5&keywords=turntable will do exactly what that TEAC will do for less money. Watch the video. But neither of these offers any automation. Have you ever had a turntable before? What did you have? Are you comfortable with setting the needle on the record and resetting it when it ends? You need auto queuing? Will you settle for auto end of record pickup? Do you need fully automatic?

All good comments....I TOTALLY had not thought of that. So, I'm certainly used to placing the needle on the first song......maybe not used to removing it at the end.....but, don't think that's a big deal. I don't need fully automatic. In fact, after more thought - I suppose I can easily live with doing all the work. It's only for 15-20 minutes at a time, right?

Back