Big Big Train "Stone and Steel" BD 5.1 March '16

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very excited about this too, and can't wait to get my socks blown off by it! My pre-order is with the Big Big Train shop. Do you have any idea when they might be posting these out to us? The BBT facebook says that some retail outlets already have their copies, so it must be soon :banana:

Last I heard they were still awaiting the arrival in BBT Towers (Greg's house) but that was a few days ago. I expect they'll be packaging up and posting just as soon as it arrives. Keep a look out on the BBT Facebook page. I'm sure the first passenger to get theirs will let everyone else know about it! ;)

It's landed on at least one customer's doormat today, according to the BBT group on Facebook and my final version arrived too! Very nice digibook style package and I was really pleased to find that they used some of my photos from the King's Place gigs in the booklet too. :)

Superb sound on this from what I've sampled so far. The actual quality of audio on the studio recorded tracks is sublime and highly realistic. The drums in particular sound so real and 3D. The live tracks suffer in comparison (sq wise). Will need to watch in full at somepoint in the next few days.

Superb sound on this from what I've sampled so far. The actual quality of audio on the studio recorded tracks is sublime and highly realistic. The drums in particular sound so real and 3D. The live tracks suffer in comparison (sq wise). Will need to watch in full at somepoint in the next few days.

The same as you I've only had chance to sample so far, but from what I've heard, your phrase "sublime and highly realistic" is very accurate. I've actually listened to all of the live concert songs, plus a couple of the in-studio songs, and am looking forward to hearing the rest. On the live songs the brass section sounds absolutely stunning, and an excellent job has been made of using the rears for various instruments and backing vocals.

And isn't it a very nice looking package too!

It's landed on at least one customer's doormat today, according to the BBT group on Facebook and my final version arrived too! Very nice digibook style package and I was really pleased to find that they used some of my photos from the King's Place gigs in the booklet too. :)

They used some of your photos, and you're also in the closing credits for "5.1 sound assistance" :worthy :brew

They used some of your photos, and you're also in the closing credits for "5.1 sound assistance" :worthy :brew

Yeah, the credits were a really nice touch. :) If you're interested my photos are the one of Dave Gregory and the very green one of David Longdon in the mask with the flute opposite it and another close up of David Longdon about nine pages before those (opposite the photo of the violin player.)

My copy just landed here on the other side of the pond. Just gave it a quick check to make sure there were no playback issues and am happy to report that the Oppo 103 plays it just fine thru my Samsung Plasma without the need for any changes in settings. The mix sounds great from a short sampling. A proper listen is in order for tomorrow - love the hard bound book too! Classy packaging!

Last edited:
For some reason, a copy arrived in the mail today, despite the fact that I did not request a 50Hz copy be sent. I did send an email to BBT asking about this, but I assume it is not the ROW 60Hz copy that arrived?

For some reason, a copy arrived in the mail today, despite the fact that I did not request a 50Hz copy be sent. I did send an email to BBT asking about this, but I assume it is not the ROW 60Hz copy that arrived?

It's definitely not 60Hz as that version hasn't been produced yet! Try it. If it works then I suggest just keeping it (let me know, along with player/TV) as there will be no quality difference. If not just contact the band via the web shop. They are, without doubt, the most fan-centric band I have ever coma across, so I'm 100% sure they will sort you out.

Just watched/listened to Wind Distorted Pioneers (the new track) for the first time ever - WOW, its beautiful, mostly acapella with some lovely violin and piano :)

Last edited:
Just watched/listened to Wind Distorted Pioneers (the new track) for the first time ever - WOW, its beautiful, mostly acapella with some lovely violin :)

It's actually a new arrangement of an old (1994) track from the "Goodbye to the Age of Steam" album! I nearly fell of my chair when I got that one in play testing. :) Completely unexpected! ...they're doing a retrospective album "Station Masters" show casing all their favourite tracks from the back catalogue, re-recorded with the new line up so I guess this is meant to be a tie in to that project. (They put a lot of effort into tying things together!)

It's actually a new arrangement of an old (1994) track from the "Goodbye to the Age of Steam" album! I nearly fell of my chair when I got that one in play testing. :) Completely unexpected! ...they're doing a retrospective album "Station Masters" show casing all their favourite tracks from the back catalogue, re-recorded with the new line up so I guess this is meant to be a tie in to that project. (They put a lot of effort into tying things together!)

Oops I didn't recognise it, haven't listened to that album in a while :eek:. I read somewhere that the next studio album Folklore was going on sale soon?

Oops I didn't recognise it, haven't listened to that album in a while :eek:. I read somewhere that the next studio album Folklore was going on sale soon?

Yeah, Folklore is released on 27th May with pre-orders opening on the 1st April (dates edited and now correct.)

Very high expectations for it and I don't think we'll be disappointed! :)

Talking to Greg by e-mail it seems that "Stone and Steel" has gone down exceptionally well. It was #37 in one of the Amazon charts yesterday! :) I'm also really stoked by the number of fans of the band who have bought 5.1 BluRay systems and listened to music on 5.1 for the first time jsut for this release. It's really something quite special. :)

Last edited:
I'm also really stoked by the number of fans of the band who have bought 5.1 BluRay systems and listened to music on 5.1 for the first time jsut for this release. It's really something quite special. :)

More surround fans in the making! Great stuff!

Yeah, Folklore is released 1st April. Very high expectations for it and I don't think we'll be disappointed! :)

Talking to Greg by e-mail it seems that "Stone and Steel" has gone down exceptionally well. It was #37 in one of the Amazon charts yesterday! :) I'm also really stoked by the number of fans of the band who have bought 5.1 BluRay systems and listened to music on 5.1 for the first time jsut for this release. It's really something quite special. :)

It deserves to do well, it certainly is something special!

I saw 1st April for Folklore too, but can't find anywhere to buy it :confused:

Back