Big Big Train "Stone and Steel" BD 5.1 March '16

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do, but their customer service is usually perfect. I think the Folklore album launch may be keeping them busy!

What e-mail address did you use? If you don't get a reply in the next day or so let me know (including your e-mail address) and I'll try and find out what's going on.
Hi Neil, thanks a lot. I used [email protected]. When I do not have a reply by the end of the week I will let you know via PM.

They do, but their customer service is usually perfect. I think the Folklore album launch may be keeping them busy!

What e-mail address did you use? If you don't get a reply in the next day or so let me know (including your e-mail address) and I'll try and find out what's going on.
Ellie is sending a (new) blu ray.

From B.S.:

Hi,

Thanks for your patience with this release. We’ve just received the following from the band:

After lengthy consideration we have decided against a new pressing of Stone & Steel for specific markets outside of the UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa, India, China, Australia or New Zealand. A test disc was produced for a new pressing but it did not meet our high standards.

As a pre-order customer, we will now be shipping a copy of the initial pressing to you on 28 June 2016. We have also included here a link that you can use to download the complete film from Vimeo at no cost.

You may very well find that the initial pressing of the Blu-ray disc will perform correctly in your existing player (only older players are likely to be affected). If however, it does not play correctly we will refund the full cost of Stone & Steel to you.

We do apologise for the problems with the Stone and Steel release that have
affected some markets. We have developed considerable expertise in audio releases in recent years. However, Stone & Steel is our first video release and it has proven to be a steep learning curve for us. Unfortunately, the technical aspects of producing a video release for different worldwide markets are extremely complicated.

We do intend to film future gigs and will ensure that the appropriate technical requirements for worldwide Blu-Ray releases are met.

Your Vimeo free purchase of Stone & Steel:
Please visit this address & follow the guide (deleted)

Kind regards,

Big Big Train

As the message says we’ll be shipping copies out next week.

Hopefully everything will be great and the disc will work perfectly for you - if not we will offer a full refund. Please let us know how you get on with the disc when it arrives.

Have a great weekend,

Lisa

Burning Shed Support

After lengthy consideration we have decided against a new pressing of Stone & Steel for specific markets outside of the UK, Europe, Middle East, Africa, India, China, Australia or New Zealand. A test disc was produced for a new pressing but it did not meet our high standards.

As a pre-order customer, we will now be shipping a copy of the initial pressing to you on 28 June 2016. We have also included here a link that you can use to download the complete film from Vimeo at no cost.

Kind regards,

Big Big Train
I preordered from BBT directly and have not received this email. Interesting... They sent out a first (now only) pressing in error, and would have sent out a replacement second pressing once available, so I would have expected this message. Maybe it is yet to come.

For what it's worth, the disc seems to play just fine on my Oppo BDP-103D, though there may be some slight video artifacts from framerate conversion. No noticeable audio artifacts.

From B.S.:

Hi,

Thanks for your patience with this release. We’ve just received the following from the band:

You may very well find that the initial pressing of the Blu-ray disc will perform correctly in your existing player (only older players are likely to be affected). If however, it does not play correctly we will refund the full cost of Stone & Steel to you.

We do apologise for the problems with the Stone and Steel release that have
affected some markets. We have developed considerable expertise in audio releases in recent years. However, Stone & Steel is our first video release and it has proven to be a steep learning curve for us. Unfortunately, the technical aspects of producing a video release for different worldwide markets are extremely complicated.

We do intend to film future gigs and will ensure that the appropriate technical requirements for worldwide Blu-Ray releases are met.

Your Vimeo free purchase of Stone & Steel:
Please visit this address & follow the guide (deleted)

Kind regards,

Big Big Train

As the message says we’ll be shipping copies out next week.

Hopefully everything will be great and the disc will work perfectly for you - if not we will offer a full refund. Please let us know how you get on with the disc when it arrives.

Have a great weekend,

Lisa

Burning Shed Support

Yeah, got same email this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, I would have ordered this, like, months ago. Guess I'll go ahead and put an order in, and I'll get Folklore too, while I'm at it.

Edit: Or, guess I won't. Looks like it's out of stock on BS (n)

I preordered from BBT directly and have not received this email. Interesting... They sent out a first (now only) pressing in error, and would have sent out a replacement second pressing once available, so I would have expected this message. Maybe it is yet to come.
Just got the email from the band. All is well.

I know the band were very disappointed to have to do this - it was the last thing they wanted to do :(

For anyone that's interested the reasons were that the frame-rate conversion required to go from 25Hz to the international standard didn't produce particularly good results. In fact I think it could have induced motion sickness in some! Oddly, the fact that the original video was such high quality actually worked against them - the artifacts from the conversion were *very* visible. There were also issues with the "backdrop" of the setting in Real World - this has lots of long, thin vertical stripes which look great on the original but which went really bad on the conversion - you know when a presenter wears a high-contrast tie on TV? Just like that. :eek:

Again, I have to say it's the right decision but appreciate that it's very frustrating for potential customers.

Anyone with a player that supports 25/50 Hz (like the Oppo) should be fine with the original pressing and the offer by the band to cover refunds means you can order risk free. In my opinion the quality of the release, both audio and video, means it's well worth taking that risk-free risk! ;)

Something must have been very off because it should be possible to convert from 25fps to 24fps. Of course, there will be a compromise in quality but it shouldn't introduce clearly visible artifacts. I know these kind of conversions happen alot in film releases.

Regarding the vertical lines from the studio setting, there are compression artifacts in the 25fps native release too, lots of aliasing which is easily noticable. That's not to knock the quality of release because it's damn good but there are artifacts in the original too.

Hey all you music video fans. I received my copy of Big Big Train (Stone & Steel) last weekend. Just now I was able to pop it in and spin it. Eh......

This is one kick ass sounding disc. I mean, we're talking Steven Wilson quality here. Serious. I am absolutely blown away at the audio prowess of this disc. WOW!

I recommend that you all buy this and give it a try, it is over the top quality. Serious. Yes, it is sort of a studio setting, not live, but who the F*C! cares. This is amazing. I'm sold and will immediately buy a copy for my buddy who loves great surround music.

Blown away is an understatement....

Hey all you music video fans. I received my copy of Big Big Train (Stone & Steel) last weekend. Just now I was able to pop it in and spin it. Eh......

This is one kick ass sounding disc. I mean, we're talking Steven Wilson quality here. Serious. I am absolutely blown away at the audio prowess of this disc. WOW!

I recommend that you all buy this and give it a try, it is over the top quality. Serious. Yes, it is sort of a studio setting, not live, but who the F*C! cares. This is amazing. I'm sold and will immediately buy a copy for my buddy who loves great surround music.

Blown away is an understatement....

Where did you purchase yours? I went to Amazon after reading your comments and it says it "won't play on most players in North America"... should I order this one? Will OPPO play anything?

For those who unfortunately won't give this a chance...I feel bad for you. This, to me is one of the absolute surprises of the last 2-3 years. Amazing doesn't give it enough props.

So - I hear many details within that remind me of multiple bands. I hear Kansas (Leftoverture comes to mind), I hear older Styx.....and as far as the surround experience, Wilson comes to mind. Wow! What more do you all want?

I would gladly pay $45 for this...as it's that good. Doesn't happen that often, but this is the real deal.

Back