HiRez Poll Allman Brothers - IDLEWILD SOUTH [BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Allman Brothers - IDLEWILD SOUTH

• Total voters
The ABB is the only southern rock/blues band to ever really connect with me and this is one of my favorites of theirs. The fidelity is excellent and the mix is a dry, ultra-discrete ‘quaddish’ presentation. Lead vocals and the occasional instrument are isolated in center channel. My only mix complaint is that Trucks’s drum kit and the bass are placed right front channel. This works OK for the denser sections and when Jaimoe is also playing kit (left rear) but for many of the instrumental passages there’s a big ol’ hole in front left corner. Given the LP’s short duration it’s great to have the bonus cuts also offered in surround. The fidelity and mix match the album tracks so together they make for an excellent expanded presentation of the album IMO. Bonus tracks include a couple of alternate album takes plus two session outtakes (Statesboro Blues, One More Ride). A 9 for me.

Wow!! Incredible fidelity great mix. Have to give it a big old TEN. Has always been a favorite of mine. With the Canadian dollar in the hole was very pleased to get it for less then 50 bucks can. Amazon.ca third party sent from the UK.

Short Take: A 10. Wow

It seems unlikely that many will visit here looking to find out who the Allman Brothers are, so I don't really feel compelled to discuss the musical content. This is Duane Allman era music. He died in October of 1971 and this was released in September of 1970. While I do think the Allmans made great music after the passing of Duane, I have a special affinity for the recordings of the early era, and for Duane's work with other artists, notably Derek and the Dominoes.

So the only questions for me here are mix and fidelity. I am pleased to report that both are excellent on this release. So there is not much to discuss. If you like the Allman Brothers, this is a no-brainer. Buy it asap, open, and enjoy!

I consider the Allman Brothers to be the greatest American band and love this album and most of what they did through the years. The content and fidelity are absolute top notch, but I guess I'm not a huge fan of the decision to put the drummers in opposite corners of the room. Jaimoe being in the back corner just seems a little off to me. As bluemonk said in a earlier post, it seems to leave a hole in front left of the room. I thought about trying to swap the FL and FR speakers to see what it would do, but then the chorus that moves around the room in Revival wouldn't work, so this must be how the mixer wanted it. Still a very enjoyable listen- Greggs vocals and organ have never sounded so clean to me.
On another note, I have an Oppo BDP-93 with the fw frozen in time for iso support and it wouldn't play this disc or the 3 bluray set of Live At Fillmore East. I was able to copy it to the hdd and get it to play, but it was an oddly authored thing and took 3 tries to get the right image so that the song timings would add up. Another reason why I always order a DVD-A if I have a choice.

K

This release reminds me why I have spent so much time and money to get myself a solid 5.1 system.

Great stuff, beautifully presented.

I am impressed with the surround mix given the relatively early (1970) vintage of this album. The "base" album at 31 minutes is a bit short, but loaded with quality content. I think that Statesboro Blues and One More Ride are of sufficient quality to have been included as tracks when the album was originally released. I wonder why they weren't in there.

Anyway, I rate the BluRay surround program a solid 9. However, I deducted a point because of the high cost of the package for the casual fan such as myself.

Short Take: A 10. Wow

It seems unlikely that many will visit here looking to find out who the Allman Brothers are, so I don't really feel compelled to discuss the musical content. This is Duane Allman era music. He died in October of 1971 and this was released in September of 1970. While I do think the Allmans made great music after the passing of Duane, I have a special affinity for the recordings of the early era, and for Duane's work with other artists, notably Derek and the Dominoes.

So the only questions for me here are mix and fidelity. I am pleased to report that both are excellent on this release. So there is not much to discuss. If you like the Allman Brothers, this is a no-brainer. Buy it asap, open, and enjoy!
OK. I'm a little confused about the release date of September. We listened to the 8 track of this album on the way to Woodstock in the car. That was late August. Did I have a pre release 8 track from the record store I worked at or was there too much herb involved.

OK. I'm a little confused about the release date of September. We listened to the 8 track of this album on the way to Woodstock in the car. That was late August. Did I have a pre release 8 track from the record store I worked at or was there too much herb involved.

And Woodstock was August 1969, so you must have had some really good stuff if it allowed you time travel a year and a month in to the future to listen to Idlewild South. ;) :smokin

I give this 10 fidelity is good the extras are excellent.
The mix has a wonky quad feel but its fun fun fun

I am a fan of the Allman Brothers especially early allmans.

And Woodstock was August 1969, so you must have had some really good stuff if it allowed you time travel a year and a month in to the future to listen to Idlewild South. ;) :smokin
Yep, you are right. It was some good stuff. I must be thinking of the first Allman Brothers album. Perhaps I'm confused with the ride to the Pocono raceway later for that bash.

Late to the game on this one as well, as since December I have been up to my ears in "life" so I haven't had much time for fun stuff.
Well today I finally got this one to PC this afternoon (via AudioMuxer) and although I've already listened to this on my home system, its amazing to get it on the PC and hear how freaking discrete this one is.

The wav below is "Midnight Rider", and wow, a total discrete masterpiece. Vocals are ONLY in the center, guitars are clearly defined in solo channels, percussion and other elements are placed in their own space. Way cool to isolate channels on this one. The whole album is like this, it's an excellent mix. This is the way I like my surround. If you're going to do a surround mix, why make it duplicate the stereo, it's NOT THE STEREO MIX, IT'S THE SURROUND MIX!!! :confused:

It sucks that I had to buy a "deluxe set" to get this but it sounds so good and the mix is done so well that it's clearly a '10'. If you like this album, save up and get it. It's worth it.

Midnight Rider Wav.jpg

Looking at those waveforms its essentially 6 channels of mono in a mix, as opposed to pretty much every modern 5.1 mix which is more like 2 x sets of stereo channels and 2 x mono channels.. wow.. it sounds mega discrete and it looks ultra discrete! :yikes

Analysing it in-depth like that Jon, I'm curious, if you noticed anything in one channel that is simultaneously replicated in another channel....

Could this be the most 'separated surround' mix of all-time..!? :D

Looking at those waveforms its essentially 6 channels of mono in a mix, as opposed to pretty much every modern 5.1 mix which is more like 2 x sets of stereo channels and 2 x mono channels.. wow.. it sounds mega discrete and it looks ultra discrete! :yikes

Analysing it in-depth like that Jon, I'm curious, if you noticed anything in one channel that is simultaneously replicated in another channel....

Could this be the most 'separated surround' mix of all-time..!? :D

You're right Adam. It's very cool. I auditioned the center channel with each of the rears separately, muting the fronts, and it's a wild experience. I really love mixes like this.

How wondrous that we got this title on Blu-ray. Too bad we had to buy all of the other stuff to get it. The set is nicely done though, with the minor caveat that you have to finger the discs to get them out of the tight pockets. Even with that I'm giving this a 10 as this is stellar material with a very interesting and enjoyable mix in 5.1 DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD.

How wondrous that we got this title on Blu-ray. Too bad we had to buy all of the other stuff to get it. The set is nicely done though, with the minor caveat that you have to finger the discs to get them out of the tight pockets. Even with that I'm giving this a 10 as this is stellar material with a very interesting and enjoyable mix in 5.1 DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD.

yeah, they are rather tight aren't they?

Back