HiRez Poll Allman Brothers - IDLEWILD SOUTH [BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of the Allman Brothers - IDLEWILD SOUTH

• Total voters
How wondrous that we got this title on Blu-ray. Too bad we had to buy all of the other stuff to get it. The set is nicely done though, with the minor caveat that you have to finger the discs to get them out of the tight pockets. Even with that I'm giving this a 10 as this is stellar material with a very interesting and enjoyable mix in 5.1 DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD.

Thankfully I don't think the price was that over the top. At least they did not vinyl the set and make it twice the price

Looking at those waveforms its essentially 6 channels of mono in a mix, as opposed to pretty much every modern 5.1 mix which is more like 2 x sets of stereo channels and 2 x mono channels.. wow.. it sounds mega discrete and it looks ultra discrete! :yikes

Analysing it in-depth like that Jon, I'm curious, if you noticed anything in one channel that is simultaneously replicated in another channel....

Could this be the most 'separated surround' mix of all-time..!? :D

What's even more amazing is that they got this kind of separation when the album was recorded live, i.e., all musicians playing in the studio at the same time. This is proof of the brilliance of Tom Dowd as a producer. If you've seen the documentary, "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music", you're not surprised. If you've never seen that documentary, well... you MUST!

If you've seen the documentary, "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music", you're not surprised. If you've never seen that documentary, well... you MUST!

Great documentary. Yes, a must-see for any music fan. A fascinating look at the man and the history of the recording industry.

BTW, doc, I had pegged you as a fan of that film after seeing your signature quote. :)

Pre-ordered this right off and got what I consider a good price from Amazon UK, ~$41, not bad considering other sets I've purchased.
IMO, price paid, packaging etc., is irrelevant on a poll on for SQ.
Reluctantly I gave it a 9 as I think this was as good as could be done with the available tapes
It is a recording of its time and while the overall sound to me is a bit closed in, I can hear decent detail from the cymbals and the drums.
The bass rendition is outstanding as are the vocals.
The stereo and 5.1 mix are as good as anything I've heard.
The music is killer and this version really captures what the Allman Brothers were all about and the mix\master illustrates this as well as any recording I have.
I can only hope that Eat a Peach gets this same treatment.

Oh my goodness. Just digging into this one again - and love how discrete it all is. This one really does feel like you are sitting in the middle of the band. Try IMOER (on the main album) - with that lovely keyboard solo emerging from the right rear to be followed so organically by Dickie solo on the left rear. With the bass everywhere - and the percussion coming from the front right and left rear. Sounds weird, I know, but it works. I'm enjoying this one so much. Just explored the exrta version of the same song... Also very wonderful. Still wish they'd done more like this with Fillmore BDA set...

Oh my goodness. Just digging into this one again - and love how discrete it all is. This one really does feel like you are sitting in the middle of the band. Try IMOER (on the main album) - with that lovely keyboard solo emerging from the right rear to be followed so organically by Dickie solo on the left rear. With the bass everywhere - and the percussion coming from the front right and left rear. Sounds weird, I know, but it works. I'm enjoying this one so much. Just explored the exrta version of the same song... Also very wonderful. Still wish they'd done more like this with Fillmore BDA set...
You are correct cornwall, very discrete. It has to be different than Fillmore because it is studio vs live. Now, what would be a real trip, and my crystal ball says they will do it, is a Blu Ray edition of Eat A Peach with studio and live tracks. We will see the difference in one release, can't wait. Live is appropriate to be ambient and studio is appropriate to be discrete as that is the real world, unless you have been lucky enough as I have been to see Steven Wilson and Roger Waters-The Wall, who actually use rears in concert, awesome man.

Gave this a 9 because of the packaging, come on it's 2016 ok 2015 when it was released but still cheap packaging. Have only listened to the blu ray no need for anything else. By far my fav Allman studio album and not disappointed with either the 5.1 or the 2.0 mix considering it was recorded in the early 70's. Would really like to hear the 1st album and Eat a Peach on blu ray.

Snood giving this one a 10 :yikes - yep a 10

Call me weird but Snood enjoyed and liked the bonus Alternate takes as much if not more than the originals. :banana:

The Alternate take of Elizabeth Reed is AWESOME!!!!! As are the 3 other bonus tracks.

Of course the original album songs are AWESOME too and so nicely mixed and great to hear the dueling guitars in separate speakers going at it.

10 regardless of no stand alone :banana:

Last edited:
While not being much of a ABB fan, this is a very nice release. Fidelity is good but unfortunately very light on the bottom end on my system.
While the 5.1 version is ultra discrete, it seemed quite unimaginative and straightforward. Proper perhaps for the type of material, just not my cup of tea.
An 8 for me, and I did not consider the hefty price tag or the less than stellar packaging in my ranking.:lookaround

Does anybody have a mastering problem with the bluray disc? My disc, after track 3, plays about the last 40 seconds of the previous track before it starts playing the track I skipped to. My disc definitely has at least a 3:30 version of Midnight Rider, track 3, and not 2:57 as in the liner notes and certainly this is where the discrepancy comes from. BTW the last track cuts off short.

Great disc, sonically, musically, and surroundwise, and I was never a huge fan of the Allman Brothers Band. Will rate after I've had the disc for more than a few days.

Ok I guess I'm going alone on this one, so here we go: bad = Lfe is nonexistent throughout, adjusted crossover all the way up to 300hz and still heard nothing at almost 1db. R rear is mixed too loud in a number of places, even startlingly overpowering in a couple of places. I am not a big fan of the center channel in the first place and all vocals there is a bit of a turnoff for me but not a deal killer. Price, a major bummer at $40. For a hirez surround disc, bend me over and jam it in please. ( yes I know it comes with cd's of which I already have as do most people who would be buying this).
I guess I should be thankful it's not $100 though ehh. The Good = surround field is nicely spread out. Sonics are excellent, not outstanding but solidly excellent. Nice to hear classic albums like this in hi rez surround, Elizabeth Reed has never sounded better albeit with no sub bass. So to my ear, Was this done right? Hardly, is it an enjoyable listen? Yes

we may differ on this i dont find this bass shy at all.

And vocals in teh center channel are key to a great 5.1 mix, each to his own of course.

One of my surprise releases of 2015 not an obvious choice for a 5.1 mix but a great album and worth having the ludlow garage CDs have extra introductions and teh bonus tracks are as good archive finds as i could have hoped for and at the price a steal.

Ok I guess I'm going alone on this one, so here we go: bad = Lfe is nonexistent throughout, adjusted crossover all the way up to 300hz and still heard nothing at almost 1db. R rear is mixed too loud in a number of places, even startlingly overpowering in a couple of places. I am not a big fan of the center channel in the first place and all vocals there is a bit of a turnoff for me but not a deal killer. Price, a major bummer at $40. For a hirez surround disc, bend me over and jam it in please. ( yes I know it comes with cd's of which I already have as do most people who would be buying this).
I guess I should be thankful it's not $100 though ehh. The Good = surround field is nicely spread out. Sonics are excellent, not outstanding but solidly excellent. Nice to hear classic albums like this in hi rez surround, Elizabeth Reed has never sounded better albeit with no sub bass. So to my ear, Was this done right? Hardly, is it an enjoyable listen? Yes

I cautiously admit that I was less than impressed with bass/warmness. Otherwise, it sounds excellent.

Just ripped this onto my portable hard drive so another chance to take it in. Totally immersive experience! Vocals loud and clear. Lots of chances to focus on one instrument and let it soak in. What a BAND, as that word is intended to be used.

I just voted a 10 and I don't like voting 10.

I do have reservations about the album overall. But when the sonics, surround, and sonics blend so well together how can I not vote a 10.

The table of contents is bad and the bass is thin but everything else is superb.

This is an album I keep replaying.

Great Southern Rock by the premier southern rock band. A great blend of rhythm and blues, rock and roll, and country, which is what southern rock is.

Strange that I never heard of this ALBUM, but when I finally gave it a listen on this exceptional multichannel release, I knew every song! The music translates to live perfectly. That must be where I heard all the tunes. ...and the radio. Can't believe this came out in 1970. Did I mention the mix is awsome...10!

A 10 from me, love ABB and there is not much more I could want, or expect, for such a packaged reissue of a 7 song album. The extras are great..... maybe bass shy, but I just eliminated my sub, away with the bass management, so I am having to readjust my ears. :smokin

What's even more amazing is that they got this kind of separation when the album was recorded live, i.e., all musicians playing in the studio at the same time. This is proof of the brilliance of Tom Dowd as a producer. If you've seen the documentary, "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music", you're not surprised. If you've never seen that documentary, well... you MUST!

saw the doc. Tom kind of did stuff "neutral" I mean he just left an EQ out of the mix. This is not a complaint rather an observation. Brilliant producer,but just 'dry", in his interpretation of this band. Will buy the BD anyway.

Back