Spectrum - Billy Cobham & Thrust - Herbie Hancock - Audio Fidelity Quad SACD (Feb 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Jazz freaks rejoice!

AFZ5-234 - Billy Cobham - SPECTRUM (UNRELEASED QUAD MIX!!!!)
AFZ5-223 - Herbie Hancock - THRUST (QUAD MIX)

Marshall has given me the go-ahead to announce these. I bet you will soon see a lot of Jazz fans selling their Spectrum DVD-A's. Especially the surround jazz fans. The SACD is a TOTAL REVELATION!! It's about as good as a jazz surround disc can get. If you have the UK Quad Demo from WEA, you already know how good "Quadrant 4" sounds in quad. The rest of the tracks are just as good.

Can we get a "Woo Hoo?"

I see Amazon has Billy Cobham's Spectrum for release on Feb.26.
Perhaps the result of the AF/Scheiner relationship?

I see Amazon has Billy Cobham's Spectrum for release on Feb.26.
Perhaps the result of the AF/Scheiner relationship?

Nope, because Scheiner had nothing to do with this release.
However, if the 5.1 mix from the old DVDA is included on this upcoming SACD, then there will be much rejoicing from me!
If it doesn't and this is another "Ridin' With the King"-type release, then there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth!

Here's the mysterious amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Bill-Cobham/dp/B019RVUF3Y/

I'm going to go broke this year......... Have that sampler and the dvda, I'm getting both of these.

Woo Hoo!

I don't know who HH is, but BC's Spectrum has been on my wishlist a might long time!
I'll check out HH.

I love this Forum - EB....it's cracking me up you've never heard of herbie....on the other hand....I suppose it surprises many I've never heard of the other dude....hahahahaha!
You just never know...right?

You check out BC and I'll check out HH! :banana:
Seriously though, from bands I've been in, the drummer is always gaga for Billy, so I've had his LPs thrown on for me from time to time. Very cool stuff.

You check out BC and I'll check out HH! :banana:
Seriously though, from bands I've been in, the drummer is always gaga for Billy, so I've had his LPs thrown on for me from time to time. Very cool stuff.

Deal! I'll just get both, cause I love the HH stuff. I can only imagine how discreet all those sounds will be.

For those that do not know the unreleased quad mix, it's totally discrete. The guitars are planted in each rear speaker, with the drums and bass in the stereo fronts.

These guitars are clear as a bell and you would think the dude was standing next to you playing the guitars. I went and got my DVD-A to compare and it was no contest (for me). The DVD-A has the drums and guitars in the fronts, with ambient echos mostly in the rears. It's front-centric, IMHO.

The SACD is not. It's pure quad, and if you are a guitar player or guitar fan, you will LOVE listening to these two guys (Tommy Bolin being one of them) playing their guitars. I know I did. And will.

For those that do not know the unreleased quad mix, it's totally discrete. The guitars are planted in each rear speaker, with the drums and bass in the stereo fronts.

These guitars are clear as a bell and you would think the dude was standing next to you playing the guitars. I went and got my DVD-A to compare and it was no contest (for me). The DVD-A has the drums and guitars in the fronts, with ambient echos mostly in the rears. It's front-centric, IMHO.

The SACD is not. It's pure quad, and if you are a guitar player or guitar fan, you will LOVE listening to these two guys (Tommy Bolin being one of them) playing their guitars. I know I did. And will.

I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on the DVD-A! Was always priced-out. Patience is a virtue (so they say).

WHAT????? Ex Squeeze me? Bolin....Tommy...Tommy Bolin? Whoa.....

Do you know who is doing the 2.0 and 4.0 mastering? Is it Kevin, and Gus S. or Steve H & Stephen M.?

Last edited:
My favourite HH album, next to Maiden Voyage. And Spectrum in quad.... Give. Me. February. Already.

Back