Steven Wilson An Update on Steven Wilson's Remix Work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon Anderson should be in charge of the YES remixes, he WROTE MOST OF THE MUSIC, not Howe. YES is his baby.

Jon Anderson should be in charge of the YES remixes, he WROTE MOST OF THE MUSIC, not Howe. YES is his baby.

I think you raise a very interesting point, in that unlike other artists that SW is working with remixing their albums in surround, Yes no longer have one guy that can properly supervise and oversee the remixing of their entire body of work. They HAD that one guy in Chris Squire, but not only is he no longer of this earth, but he didn't take that keen of an interest in Steven Wilson's remixes even when he was around.

Not to be greedy, but we get Relayer and no Tales. Is there no justice in this world?

That is something that doesn't really make a lot of sense to me at all.
SW says:
Steve [Howe] heard some work-in-progress mixes I was working on in 2013 of "Tales", including my first attempt at a 5.1 mix. But it was abandoned shortly afterwards in favour of moving on to some of the more popular albums

Now I know for a fact that SW started remixing "Tales" before he started remixing "Relayer" and "Fragile", but what I can't understand is how "Relayer" is considered by anyone to be a popular Yes album. To me, with the exception of maybe "To Be Over", the music on "Relayer" is even less commercial than the music on "Tales". All of this is absolutely puzzling to me. Maybe Dennis Moore Jr needs to start rabble-rousing around Warner/Rhino/Atlantic's headquarters. ;)

Yup. Exactly. Out of all the Yes albums, Relayer is the one I can "get in to" the least. Lor' knows I've tried...

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm very glad that the remixes of "Relayer" made it out there, but would I have wanted them over "Tales from Topographic Oceans"? That's really tough. I definitely wanted "Tales from Topographic Oceans" over "Fragile" as good as that remix is, but that's simply because we already had a 5.1 mix of "Fragile", and even though I hate the old mix, a bad 5.1 mix is better than none at all, which is exactly what we have right now with "Tales". :mad:

... I can't understand is how "Relayer" is considered by anyone to be a popular Yes album. To me, with the exception of maybe "To Be Over", the music on "Relayer" is even less commercial than the music on "Tales". All of this is absolutely puzzling to me. Maybe Dennis Moore Jr needs to start rabble-rousing around Warner/Rhino/Atlantic's headquarters. ;)

Can Do. I'm your man!

But which is the "small" record label, SW wrote about?

Yes, I agree 100%. If Relayer could get released than "anything goes" or should go. Frankly all classic YES is not pop nor easy listening, so a record company shouldn't distinguish between any of the albums, really(not that they would care to - to them all YES is equally vague & confusing). TYA for example is hardly "easy listening". So yep, when Relayer came out, I thought that would pave the way for Tales.

We need to contact the label that sub-licensed like SW said and contact them. I imagine all YES 5.1 releases have sold well. No time to stop now.

-Edit- No need to talk about Jon versus Steve as far as Tales. They both wrote it together. And for me, the magic of Tales lies largely with Steve Howe's incredible multi-guitar orchestrations. Especially the beautiful classical, then steel string, then electric guitar movements that make up The Remembering. (y)

But which is the "small" record label, SW wrote about?

We need to contact the label that sub-licensed like SW said and contact them. I imagine all YES 5.1 releases have sold well. No time to stop now.

I also answered that question in the "Saves the Tales" thread, but the smaller UK company is Panegyric, the same company that is responsible for the King Crimson 40th anniversary releases.

Yup. Exactly. Out of all the Yes albums, Relayer is the one I can "get in to" the least. Lor' knows I've tried...

Hee! Relayer was a jaw-dropper for me back in the day; always enjoyed it. I do understand about it not being as accessible as many of their others, and admit I was a bit surprised to hear it was receiving the 5.1 treatment. Not complaining though!

Sad to hear this latest about Tales.

-- Jim

I had wondered whether it was Panegyric being behind the complications surrounding the current situation. Jeez, I just cannot see why they don't intend on continuing the series for the moment. Oh well, when it happens, it happens.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I had wondered whether it was Panegyric being behind the complications surrounding the current situation. Jeez, I just cannot see why they don't intend on continuing the series for the moment. Oh well, when it happens, it happens.

Seems to me like the complications have less to do with Panegyric and more to do with the Warner/Rhino/Atlantic conglomerate.
Now I definitely feel that we should have had "Tales from Topographic Oceans" by now, because I'm even more certain that WRA forced Panegyric to hold back a Yes reissue from being released this past spring (2015) so that they could release the "Progeny" set without any extra competition. Otherwise if it wouldn't have been for "Progeny", Panegyric could have probably continued on with the Fall-Spring-Fall-etc. schedule that they appeared to be on.
I feel in my heart of hearts that Panegyric wants to move forward with the reissue of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" as much as we do, but if it's really WRA that's holding them back from doing so, then those bastardly major labels strike again! :mad:

Seems to me like the complications have less to do with Panegyric and more to do with the Warner/Rhino/Atlantic conglomerate.
Now I definitely feel that we should have had "Tales from Topographic Oceans" by now, because I'm even more certain that WRA forced Panegyric to hold back a Yes reissue from being released this past spring (2015) so that they could release the "Progeny" set without any extra competition. Otherwise if it wouldn't have been for "Progeny", Panegyric could have probably continued on with the Fall-Spring-Fall-etc. schedule that they appeared to be on.
I feel in my heart of hearts that Panegyric wants to move forward with the reissue of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" as much as we do, but if it's really WRA that's holding them back from doing so, then those bastardly major labels strike again! :mad:
Ah, you are absolutely right mate - bloody major labels creating too many issues. F'n Warner, this is just like how Wilson has been wanting to remix In Absentia and Deadwing to Bluray for those Anniversary releases he had been planning on. Really hope those go ahead in the future.

Well said Ryan. I haven't got a scooby doo but I would be very surprised if it were Panegyric that decided not to do Tales after all the incredible surround releases they have done.. the only thing I would add is that with master tapes missing for XTC and this Warner hold up with Yes, what's next for Panegyric? I hope they continue to come out with lots more cool surround stuff, they are for my money in another league - practically all of their own - as far as quality and content goes with these surround music releases.

Well said Ryan. I haven't got a scooby doo but I would be very surprised if it were Panegyric that decided not to do Tales after all the incredible surround releases they have done.. the only thing I would add is that with master tapes missing for XTC and this Warner hold up with Yes, what's next for Panegyric? I hope they continue to come out with lots more cool surround stuff, they are for my money in another league - practically all of their own - as far as quality and content goes with these surround music releases.

Well besides "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and any XTC stuff they can muster up, the obvious releases that still have not come to pass yet are the "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" 40th anniversary releases from King Crimson. I would also bet that there could be an 80s box set covering both of those albums and "Discipline" also in the works, just because I have a feeling that each of those albums would not merit an entire box on their own. As for other releases, maybe an "Islands" box set could also happen at some point, but as far as other catalogues being licensed to Panegyric for expanded reissues, I have no clue what could possibly be next. I think they probably have realized through the XTC and Yes releases that it's a lot more difficult dealing with major labels than it is dealing with an independent artist like Fripp is.

Well just chucking a thought out there..
(EJ was a good focus for taking my mind off Freddie when he died all those years ago.. old Reg might be some use helping to deal with David Bowie's death.. it'll take more than him I fear.. just.. gutted..) ..but does anybody think its beyond the realms of possibility Panegyric might be interested in licensing the Elton 70's Classic albums..?

I realise its not in the same vein as King Crimson or Yes... but can you imagine if Panegyric were to do all-new Classic Elton releases upto the standard of their Yes, XTC, etc.. with Blu-rays of stunning Hi-Res Stereo (at last) alongside things like needledrops of 1st press DJM LPs (still for many the best way to hear that period of his career in 2-channels) plus whatever extras they can find... and of course to finally get all the Surround mixes out of those albums people have been clamouring to hear since Universal screwed us over by canceling their SACDs..?

Well just chucking a thought out there..
(EJ was a good focus for taking my mind off Freddie when he died all those years ago.. old Reg might be some use helping to deal with David Bowie's death.. it'll take more than him I fear.. just.. gutted..) ..but does anybody think its beyond the realms of possibility Panegyric might be interested in licensing the Elton 70's Classic albums..?

I realise its not in the same vein as King Crimson or Yes... but can you imagine if Panegyric were to do all-new Classic Elton releases upto the standard of their Yes, XTC, etc.. with Blu-rays of stunning Hi-Res Stereo (at last) alongside things like needledrops of 1st press DJM LPs (still for many the best way to hear that period of his career in 2-channels) plus whatever extras they can find... and of course to finally get all the Surround mixes out of those albums people have been clamouring to hear since Universal screwed us over by canceling their SACDs..?

I think it's less of a case of Panegyric being or not being interested in Elton's catalogue and more of a case of Universal maintaining full control of it for their own purposes. So no, I don't see it happening at all, but it's a nice thought if it would. The "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Blu-Ray is certainly disappointing when compared against all of the content on these Panegyric Blu-Rays from King Crimson, Yes, and XTC.

I think it's less of a case of Panegyric being or not being interested in Elton's catalogue and more of a case of Universal maintaining full control of it for their own purposes. So no, I don't see it happening at all, but it's a nice thought if it would. The "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" Blu-Ray is certainly disappointing when compared against all of the content on these Panegyric Blu-Rays from King Crimson, Yes, and XTC.

Yes, good point.. well I have no proof but suspect its less clear cut than we might ever know (certainly I have no idea how these things work and only ever speculate over this stuff).. for example, Brian Moura said last year AF were told, when they made enquiries, that somebody else had already licensed the catalogue.. so it might be more a case of its in another label's hands now.. or maybe Panegyric got in there already, swooped in and took it from under everyone's noses and are working on the catalogue as we speak (I repeat I do not not have any inside info but I do dare to dream! )

) ..but does anybody think its beyond the realms of possibility Panegyric might be interested in licensing the Elton 70's Classic albums..?

... if Panegyric were to do all-new Classic Elton releases upto the standard of their Yes, XTC, etc.. with Blu-rays of stunning Hi-Res Stereo (at last) finally get all the Surround mixes out of those albums people have been clamouring to hear since Universal screwed us over by canceling their SACDs..?

Hello m8, :)

I would guess that any large label would categorize all their "musical properties" and that Sir Elton's classic catalog is DEFCON 1. With a potential(in their eyes)for tens of millions of units sold. I don't think a large corporation would even consider licensing to Panergyric or a boutique outfit that hasn't a track record for millions of units sold per release. Its infuriating for us who pay for this stuff to know that large record companies will do NOTHING for decades unless their accountants/marketing clods will predict 10 million unit sales, for example. I guess when record labels began selling for hundreds of millions a new publishing ethos emerged: "Sell a billion copies or sell nothing."

In addition, we all know the cost of a 5.1 remix can be expensive, so I'd think the only hope is that the existing Greg Penny remxies finally get pushed out. But since one can buy existing Elton 5.1 SACDs for half price of what they premiered for... ... there is more supply than demand, clearly. Perhaps the label sees those "unsold units" as a Stop sign for further action.

They do nothing to collect the $$$ we so dearly want to give them. For Tales or Reggie Dwight. Blimey. :nuke

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Fanta..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=12J9TK15SKZPCTVT9HGP

$15 USD

I think you make a good point, Dennis, especially when you mention "boutique outfit"

For it is BOUTIQUE purchases that the labels should all now be chasing.I'm not certain that a remastered cd is the ultimate and all to common purchase any longer or at least is fading somewhat.

Those BOUTIQUE recordings "WE" are purchasing contain surround, quad remixes, Hi-Rez audio, and a host of bonuses.They do indeed SELL, to an ever growing collectors audience......ever growing, ever contributing to the labels coffers.

"Still hoping SW does YES-TIME AND A WORD, TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS,90215, and All six of the early ROXY MUSIC catalog ,"

fizz.

Back