Steven Wilson An Update on Steven Wilson's Remix Work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello m8, :)

I would guess that any large label would categorize all their "musical properties" and that Sir Elton's classic catalog is DEFCON 1. With a potential(in their eyes)for tens of millions of units sold. I don't think a large corporation would even consider licensing to Panergyric or a boutique outfit that hasn't a track record for millions of units sold per release. Its infuriating for us who pay for this stuff to know that large record companies will do NOTHING for decades unless their accountants/marketing clods will predict 10 million unit sales, for example. I guess when record labels began selling for hundreds of millions a new publishing ethos emerged: "Sell a billion copies or sell nothing."

In addition, we all know the cost of a 5.1 remix can be expensive, so I'd think the only hope is that the existing Greg Penny remxies finally get pushed out. But since one can buy existing Elton 5.1 SACDs for half price of what they premiered for... ... there is more supply than demand, clearly. Perhaps the label sees those "unsold units" as a Stop sign for further action.

They do nothing to collect the $$$ we so dearly want to give them. For Tales or Reggie Dwight. Blimey. :nuke

http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Fanta..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=12J9TK15SKZPCTVT9HGP

$15 USD

Thanks for that matey :) Happy NY and all that :upthumb

A few little thoughts/quick responses to your thoughts..

1.) - The costs of doing the 5.1 EJ's will have been long written off imho, along with all the other 5.1's Universal did that got shelved,

2.) - I doubt anyone is expecting the EJ 5.1's to sell by the million, especially these days, more likely in the thousands (even the bean counters at Universal will have worked that out and that's why they have not released them already themselves, its not worth it to them.. but perfect for a label like Panegyric, AF, Dutton Vocalion, etc..),

3.) - Yes there are still old SACDs out there but supplies WILL run out while demand will CONTINUE...

All these Out of Print surround things were cheap/plentiful once.. I suggest anybody here who is on the fence about the EJ 5.1's (really?) gets in there now.. one day they will be hard to get.. maybe people think because they are cheap and everywhere they are worthless.. haha.. the Scorpions SACD is $1,500 and is nowhere and (apparently) isn't that great..

4.) - Oh and somebody has licensed the titles already.

11.) - If nobody else puts them out.. I will set up my own label and do it! I don't care if I go bust within the first year of business that's all I need to get those 5.1 ELTON JOHN MIXES OUT...!!!! :D

I think you make a good point, Dennis, especially when you mention "boutique outfit"

For it is BOUTIQUE purchases that the labels should all now be chasing.I'm not certain that a remastered cd is the ultimate and all to common purchase any longer or at least is fading somewhat.

Those BOUTIQUE recordings "WE" are purchasing contain surround, quad remixes, Hi-Rez audio, and a host of bonuses.They do indeed SELL, to an ever growing collectors audience......ever growing, ever contributing to the labels coffers.

"Still hoping SW does YES-TIME AND A WORD, TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS,90215, and All six of the early ROXY MUSIC catalog ,"

fizz.

I reckon the EJ Classic albums could definitely be re-done in such a way as to have a "Boutique" feel (like with the effort and TLC Panegyric put into just those kinds of releases we all buy) its funny/tragi-comic how a high quality approach to reissues has come to be something we can only see as an option for certain types of artists and from certain labels (too often not mainstream big boys basically).. :(

Sod it I'm off for a drink! Cheers guys 'n gals! :beer2

If someone would get them an redo them without the limiting and loudness applied, they would sell a ton of the old titles since they'd be "more" desirable.

"Still hoping SW does YES-TIME AND A WORD, TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS,90215, and All six of the early ROXY MUSIC catalog ,"

Well we already know that "90125" is off the table when it comes to an SW remix, simply because SW is not a fan of that album, and if he doesn't like it, there's no way anyone can convince him to remix it, particularly when there's not only better remix offers out there for him, but also because he has lots to still do concerning his own music.
Plus if Warner/Rhino/Atlantic are worried that a potential "Tales from Topographic Oceans" reissue from Panegyric is not worth it, then "Time and a Word" definitely has no chance either.

Fingers are still crossed tight though on anything and everything concerning Roxy Music! The latest whisper in the wind I heard concerning the delay on the big "Roxy Music" reissue was that Bryan Ferry was not satisfied with some of the artwork and designs of the new set and might be looking to redo some of it before it's actually released, whenever that is… :confused:

Fingers are still crossed tight though on anything and everything concerning Roxy Music! The latest whisper in the wind I heard concerning the delay on the big "Roxy Music" reissue was that Bryan Ferry was not satisfied with some of the artwork and designs of the new set and might be looking to redo some of it before it's actually released, whenever that is… :confused:

Fair enough, we should all seek perfection.. but I wish he would just rubber stamp it and get the flipping thing out pronto.. he's just seen his friend die at only 69, life is short, we're all shuffling along this mortal coil, even the musical gods... and we all shuffle off it sooner or later... some days it gets very depressing thinking "will I actually live long enough to hear all the Quads and unreleased 5.1 stuff the labels have sitting in the vaults already..?"
(let alone anything new that's on the horizon..! :( )

If someone would get them an redo them without the limiting and loudness applied, they would sell a ton of the old titles since they'd be "more" desirable.

YES!! (not the group, just a big yes.. :eek: )

..in the same way that AF have redone things (like Breezin) for SACD with superior mastering etc all round on the surround and the stereo compared to the previous DVDA release, some boutique label could do just that with the already released EJ titles.

Do the remastering right all round with somebody like Steve Hoffman at the helm and you've got a sure fire seller on your hands,
whereas the old SACDs with their botched mastering on the stereo just sit there unloved by stereophile audiophiles..

(if it means getting the unreleased mixes of these kinds of things too, I'm up for donating body parts at this point I've really had enough..)

Well besides "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and any XTC stuff they can muster up, the obvious releases that still have not come to pass yet are the "Beat" and "Three of a Perfect Pair" 40th anniversary releases from King Crimson. I would also bet that there could be an 80s box set covering both of those albums and "Discipline" also in the works, just because I have a feeling that each of those albums would not merit an entire box on their own. As for other releases, maybe an "Islands" box set could also happen at some point, but as far as other catalogues being licensed to Panegyric for expanded reissues, I have no clue what could possibly be next. I think they probably have realized through the XTC and Yes releases that it's a lot more difficult dealing with major labels than it is dealing with an independent artist like Fripp is.
While that may be true in general, I can absolutely guarantee you that Robert Fripp is the sole reason that Beat & TOAPP have not been released as of yet.

While that may be true in general, I can absolutely guarantee you that Robert Fripp is the sole reason that Beat & TOAPP have not been released as of yet.

Oh, I don't disagree with you on that, but I don't think it has anything to do anymore with his dissatisfaction and request for changes on SW's remixes. That seems to have been all squared away for at least a few years now. My gut feeling behind the delays is that there's something that Fripp wants to include (probably some video footage from that era) that he still hasn't secured the rights to, but there could be another reason (or more reasons) as well.

Seems to me like the complications have less to do with Panegyric and more to do with the Warner/Rhino/Atlantic conglomerate.
Now I definitely feel that we should have had "Tales from Topographic Oceans" by now, because I'm even more certain that WRA forced Panegyric to hold back a Yes reissue from being released this past spring (2015) so that they could release the "Progeny" set without any extra competition. Otherwise if it wouldn't have been for "Progeny", Panegyric could have probably continued on with the Fall-Spring-Fall-etc. schedule that they appeared to be on.
I feel in my heart of hearts that Panegyric wants to move forward with the reissue of "Tales from Topographic Oceans" as much as we do, but if it's really WRA that's holding them back from doing so, then those bastardly major labels strike again! :mad:

I know I've said this before but presumably someone has already paid SW for his work on Tales, and would therefore want to recoup that cost as soon as possible. Surely therefore Tales has to come out eventually :confused:

Oh, I don't disagree with you on that, but I don't think it has anything to do anymore with his dissatisfaction and request for changes on SW's remixes. That seems to have been all squared away for at least a few years now. My gut feeling behind the delays is that there's something that Fripp wants to include (probably some video footage from that era) that he still hasn't secured the rights to, but there could be another reason (or more reasons) as well.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that problems over the inclusion of some video footage was the reason why Beat's release had been delayed. I'd like to think that this is correct, rather than a money issue of seeing how many expensive box sets they can put out, before completing the series properly.

I know I've said this before but presumably someone has already paid SW for his work on Tales, and would therefore want to recoup that cost as soon as possible. Surely therefore Tales has to come out eventually :confused:

You would think that, but look how long it takes to get some of these remixes released. We've been waiting for years for the remaining two King Crimson remixes and "Roxy Music", plus when I spoke with SW on the phone a few years ago for my Master's Final Project, he told me that there definitely was other remixes he had completed that are likely to never be released for one reason or another (although don't ask which ones they are. he didn't disclose that to me, and I wouldn't want to know anyway as I would probably have cried buckets of tears, lol)
Concerning "Tales" specifically, I think it's still too early in the year to say that it's down for the count, so like I always say, "Hope Springs Eternal!" :)

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that problems over the inclusion of some video footage was the reason why Beat's release had been delayed. I'd like to think that this is correct, rather than a money issue of seeing how many expensive box sets they can put out, before completing the series properly.

Great minds do think alike! ;)

1.) - The costs of doing the 5.1 EJ's will have been long written off imho, along with all the other 5.1's Universal
did that got shelved,

I suggest anybody here who is on the fence about the EJ 5.1's (really?) gets in there now.. one day they will be
hard to get.. maybe people think because they are cheap and everywhere they are worthless..

Oh and somebody has licensed the titles already.

Just to clarify, I think the already done(unreleased) Elton John GP 5.1 remixes have the best chance for release.

Hmm, I wonder who that company is who has licensed EJ's work already.

Absolutely, the existing EJ SACDs are a must buy even at twice the price. The difference in listening experience of the older 2.0 mixes and GP's 5.1 mixes is STUNNING. I can't think of a bigger improvement with any 5.1 mix I have. The 5.1 EJ titles are so intimate its like the band is in the room. Unless one absolutely hates Elton John, they should own them. These are gifts from God, indeed. I am all about progressive music, but there is something very very special about the Elton John 5.1 mixes. Priceless & extraordinary come to mind. And that is still underselling it.

Your logic is true, but the streets are littered with heartbreak stories of 5.1 remixes stuck in limbo. I plan to do whatever I can to make sure Tales does not become a lost 5.1 title.

Just to clarify, I think the already done(unreleased) Elton John GP 5.1 remixes have the best chance for release.

Hmm, I wonder who that company is who has licensed EJ's work already.

Absolutely, the existing EJ SACDs are a must buy even at twice the price. The difference in listening experience of the older 2.0 mixes and GP's 5.1 mixes are STUNNING. I can't think of a bigger improvement with any 5.1 mix I have. The 5.1 EJ titles are so intimate its like the band is in the room. Unless one absolutely hates Elton John, they should own them. These are gifts from God, indeed. I am all about progressive music, but there is something very very special about the Elton John 5.1 mixes. Priceless & extraordinary come to mind. And that is still underselling it.

Your logic is true, but the streets are littered with heartbreak stories of 5.1 remixes stuck in limbo. I plan to do whatever I can to make sure Tales does not become a lost 5.1 title.

My dear DMJ, you are brilliance personified.. I have nothing to add (makes a change) so I'll leave it to old Reg...

"Oooh-eee-oooh-eee-oooh.. all you hear are hard luck stories.."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3e5zwf

I don't think it's a money issue, it's a Fripper-Dipper issue. For whatever reason they embarked on several ginormous tour boxsets that must've taken a ton of work.
While some people were ecstatic, I can't imagine they sold all that many especially compared to the studio releases.
His attention is elsewhere be it today's cakes or a tour last year or the linens on his hotel bed.
The 2 resident experts, Neil W. and SW to my knowledge have never mentioned the why's only to say "Hey they're done. Don't know why they haven't been released."
Anyway, rant over. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that these will not be released or by the time they are I'll have early-onset dementia and won't know who King Crimson is.

I don't think it's a money issue, it's a Fripper-Dipper issue. For whatever reason they embarked on several ginormous tour boxsets that must've taken a ton of work.
While some people were ecstatic, I can't imagine they sold all that many especially compared to the studio releases.
His attention is elsewhere be it today's cakes or a tour last year or the linens on his hotel bed.
The 2 resident experts, Neil W. and SW to my knowledge have never mentioned the why's only to say "Hey they're done. Don't know why they haven't been released."
Anyway, rant over. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that these will not be released or by the time they are I'll have early-onset dementia and won't know who King Crimson is.

No doubt that the bigger box sets (especially "The Road to Red" and "Starless") have thrown the 40th anniversary series off course, but I'm convinced there's more to the delays than that, including things that are both in and outside of Fripp's control.
The good news that maybe on the horizon is that Sid Smith posted pictures of him listening to all three of the 80s albums as part of his "work" writing articles and liner notes so it's hopefully preparation for what's to come! :)

Sid also posted today a pic of The Power to Believe, so it seems we'll definitely get the whole of KC discography in surround

Sid also posted today a pic of The Power to Believe, so it seems we'll definitely get the whole of KC discography in surround

That one and "The Construkction of Light" will most likely be Jakko Jakszyk surround mixes like "THRAK".
My guess is that we'll get another full era of King Crimson albums in surround this year, with the remainder coming next year.
My hope would be for the remaining 80s albums this year and the later-albums next year, but that could be reversed.
I certainly don't think that any of the 80s or millennial albums warrant a box on their own, but collecting all three 80s albums into one set and both millennial albums into another could be very worthwhile efforts indeed. :)

Oddly enough I've never gotten round to listening to the last two albums so yes, I'll definitely be picking those up. I'd rather next year too given that Wilson's remixes of the remaining 80's have been in limbo for so long.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Back