SPECWEB (Now 2.2)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a refresher for those who have yet to try this amazing and VERY SIMPLE TO USE program, SPECWEB.

If you're an old guy like me, you've probably heard this James Taylor track from "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon" so many times that you never play it anymore, but I was futzing around with my HDTracks files and SPECWEB, and wow, this one really shines with the excellent SPECWEB manipulation.

Here is a minute or so of the back channels of a SPECWEB take on "Long Ago and Far Away", in which Joni Mitchell sang back up harmonies, and with the SPECWEB magic, you pretty much hear her by herself. The WB Quad that never was might sound better (of course), but then again, no one has ever heard it, so THIS sounds about as good as it gets.

Listen to this and then download and try SPECWEB on your own. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :phones

I made it a stereo MP3 so you folks can hear it right here. Just click the link and your browser, media player (or whatever) should play it.

www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/LAFA.mp3

Hello Z,

thanks for your engagement in this thread an the product.

I´m usin Specweb and its great.

Now I want to integrate Plogue Bidule VST into foobar to get a realtime result. It is possible an how to do (I´m too stupid, sorry).

Many thanks for your answer and have a fine day

Jörg

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Look in the SpecWebGuide.pdf for how to integrate SpecWeb into foobar, and also how to use SpecWeb "live" or "on the fly". By the way I now recommend VB Audio software cables for that. http://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm

There are a couple of VST plugins for foobar, in which you could put Plogue VST, and then the Plogue version of Spec. Instructions are here: http://www.surroundbyus.com/sbu/download/Spec 4.6 for Plogue VST.zip

but those VST plugins for foobar haven't been maintained, and I haven't tested with modern version of Plogue or Spec.

Just a refresher for those who have yet to try this amazing and VERY SIMPLE TO USE program, SPECWEB.

If you're an old guy like me, you've probably heard this James Taylor track from "Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon" so many times that you never play it anymore, but I was futzing around with my HDTracks files and SPECWEB, and wow, this one really shines with the excellent SPECWEB manipulation.

Here is a minute or so of the back channels of a SPECWEB take on "Long Ago and Far Away", in which Joni Mitchell sang back up harmonies, and with the SPECWEB magic, you pretty much hear her by herself. The WB Quad that never was might sound better (of course), but then again, no one has ever heard it, so THIS sounds about as good as it gets.

Listen to this and then download and try SPECWEB on your own. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :phones

I made it a stereo MP3 so you folks can hear it right here. Just click the link and your browser, media player (or whatever) should play it.

www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/LAFA.mp3

I Hadn't used specweb in quite a while, today decided to update to V1.5
Dropped Surfer Girl from AF SACD, and in this particular case, the results are fabulous. I'm going to do the whole album and see how it sounds. For those of us who own Surfer Girl on SACD, we know how amazing the harmonies and fidelity are...so specweb seems to handle it very well. :)

I Hadn't used specweb in quite a while, today decided to update to V1.5
Dropped Surfer Girl from AF SACD, and in this particular case, the results are fabulous. I'm going to do the whole album and see how it sounds. For those of us who own Surfer Girl on SACD, we know how amazing the harmonies and fidelity are...so specweb seems to handle it very well. :)

Official! If anyone has Surfer Girl SACD from AF, run it through Specweb. Results are outstanding. You won't be disappointed. :)

Just downloaded (donated again!) and ready to do some new tracks but also compare 1.? vs 1.5 versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does my antivirus software delete files from SpecWeb 1.5?

You will probably have to whitelist or exempt Specweb from Norton thinking it is doing something wrong. I get the same thing With Cirlinca Solo Ultra HD and also with CDRWIN10 - I had to go into Norton and look up history and make Norton reinstate the files and that the files are OK. Hope this helps. - Norton seems to think us ripping discs or messing with tunes is bad, so it just auto quarantines those certain files even though they are fine. :LB

Norton uses a feature called "reputation" when it checks files. It looks to see if a file is common and used by many. When it finds a file that it does not have a lot of info on, it quarantines it. This is frustrating with SPECWEB. Obviously not many people use SPECWEB, so it's not in Nortons database of trusted applications.

I just do the click and disable auto-protect while I'm running SPECWEB.

Norton Disable.jpg

Norton uses a feature called "reputation" when it checks files. It looks to see if a file is common and used by many. When it finds a file that it does not have a lot of info on, it quarantines it. This is frustrating with SPECWEB. Obviously not many people use SPECWEB, so it's not in Nortons database of trusted applications.

I just do the click and disable auto-protect while I'm running SPECWEB.

View attachment 33086

Jon just open Spec Web Norton will make it go poof and quarantine - then open up Norton choose History, then from the drop down page that says Recent History choose either resolved Security risks or Quarantine - Choose whichever has the Specweb - it should give you options to restore files - It will do the obligatory Are you sure these files may harm blah blah blah..........choose yes and Norton should not screw with them again. :danceand your files will be back without having to reinstall

Shouldn't have to be said....but just in case ...when u do this in norton, u only want to restore/trust specweb and nothing else lol

Last edited:
After being somewhat close to the development of SPEC & Spec Web would you believe I installed and used SpecWeb for the first time today? For some reason I was looking for the DTS Neural Upmix when I did the proverbial headslap and remembered SpecWeb. It was a little trouble to install on my main machine, had to select the .vbs script several times instead of the batch file, but the batch file installed it just fine on my HTPC.
Good old ArcTan & SLICE, they're like old friends. lol.
So I tested out the stereo version of Blackfield V, and the SACD version of Spirit - Spirit.

I used SPEC in an odd way the other day. I made a conversion of "Late for the Sky" from my really good sounding Q8 because the guy I work for just got a car that plays DTS CDs, and he's a big Jackson Browne fan. One a demo disc I made for him earlier I had put "Fountain of Sorrow", and he could not believe how it sounded, so I did the whole tape for him. When I checked it out in my previous car that played DTS CDs it sounded a bit off, so just for the hell of it I used SPEC on the front channels to create a center channel that ended up being almost exclusively Jackson's vocals, and I used the LFE that SPECWEB created and made it a 5.1 conversion. (I also ported over the Eagles vocals from the rear right in "The Late Show" adding just their harmonies to the rear left so that they sounded better and more full in the back seat of the car.)

It sounded pretty nice! He loved it. You results may vary, but in the car the center speaker is quite important and that filling in of the lead vocal made a difference.

Just another use for SPEC if you are so inclined.

I used SPEC in an odd way the other day. I made a conversion of "Late for the Sky" from my really good sounding Q8 because the guy I work for just got a car that plays DTS CDs, and he's a big Jackson Browne fan. One a demo disc I made for him earlier I had put "Fountain of Sorrow", and he could not believe how it sounded, so I did the whole tape for him. When I checked it out in my previous car that played DTS CDs it sounded a bit off, so just for the hell of it I used SPEC on the front channels to create a center channel that ended up being almost exclusively Jackson's vocals, and I used the LFE that SPECWEB created and made it a 5.1 conversion. (I also ported over the Eagles vocals from the rear right in "The Late Show" adding just their harmonies to the rear left so that they sounded better and more full in the back seat of the car.)

It sounded pretty nice! He loved it. You results may vary, but in the car the center speaker is quite important and that filling in of the lead vocal made a difference.

That is a great classic album that deserves to be re-released on a modern format.

Sweet, Jon. I need more seat time with SpecWeb, myself, even though all the basic controls are familiar from the Plogue SPEC.
I did a decent full blown upmix of Late For the Sky & Running on Empty some years back, but they were both eaten by a HDD crash. Still might be on disc somewhere......

Sigh,

Some of you may recognize the Nissan Z logo and the "Zeeround" in my username. Those come from my previous 350z convertible with a lot of work on the surround sound system. In fact, that's what got me into stereo to surround conversion and eventually led to the creation of SpecWeb.

Sadly, I totaled the Z :cry::oops: doing something stupid, and although the replacement, an infinity Q60 is really the same car underneath, the bose sound sytstem is fully integrated with car/computer and event though there is a center speaker and it decodes 5.1, it actually only plays in stereo (with some bose extracted center).

So no more surround on my commute :ROFLMAO: and it seems the day of after market "stereo" is pretty much over with all the infotainment integration and safety features that prevent you from playing a video while driving, etc. Used to be hackable...

Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have surround in your car, rigging up an analog volume control for the center channel is handy, in my experience.

Reactions: GOS
Sigh,

Some of you may recognize the Nissan Z logo and the "Zeeround" in my username. Those come from my previous 350z convertible with a lot of work on the surround sound system. In fact, that's what got me into stereo to surround conversion and eventually led to the creation of SpecWeb.

Sadly, I totaled the Z :cry::oops: doing something stupid, and although the replacement, an infinity Q60 is really the same car underneath, the bose sound sytstem is fully integrated with car/computer and event though there is a center speaker and it decodes 5.1, it actually only plays in stereo (with some bose extracted center).

So no more surround on my commute :ROFLMAO: and it seems the day of after market "stereo" is pretty much over with all the infotainment integration and safety features that prevent you from playing a video while driving, etc. Used to be hackable...

Anyway, if you are lucky enough to have surround in your car, rigging up an analog volume control for the center channel is handy, in my experience.
NO! No more hacking the car, huh?

Back