Membran and Documents - Compilation Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lute

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
"Lute....trust your feelings"...the force was strong with you and Adam..I purchased the disc..What It Comes Down To is You Walk Your Way and Listen To The Music in the Sunshine and Summer Breeze ....If You Were There on The Highways Of My Life and saw That Lady you would say Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonight

OH WOW! That's awesome, Clint. I hope you were able to get one for a decent price. And I hope we haven't built up your expectations to the stratosphere. But, if you love this music half as much as Adam and I do, I am sure you'll be glad you trusted "our" feelings. Well...

You know you make me wanna (Shout)
Kick my heels up and (Shout)
Throw my hands up and (Shout)
Throw my head back and (Shout)
Come on now (Shout)

Don't forget to say you will
Don't forget to say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!! :wave

OH WOW! That's awesome, Clint. I hope you were able to get one for a decent price. And I hope we haven't built up your expectations to the stratosphere. But, if you love this music half as much as Adam and I do, I am sure you'll be glad you trusted "our" feelings. Well...

You know you make me wanna (Shout)
Kick my heels up and (Shout)
Throw my hands up and (Shout)
Throw my head back and (Shout)
Come on now (Shout)

Don't forget to say you will
Don't forget to say yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!! :wave

The price wasn't decent..but it wasn't $100....only $99:ugham:...but like I told Adam..don't feel any pressure...I WANT people to give their honest opinions on these discs...and I love the content...so that is 80% of the battle...and the reality is that if I didn't get it...it would bother me not knowing what it sounds like...I'm not expecting Avalon...and in the rare event I don't like it...there were 4 people watching this disc on Ebay..AND it's so scarce that there were only 2 other options on Ebay...check out the first 2 listings HERE

The price wasn't decent..but it wasn't $100....only $99:ugham:...but like I told Adam..don't feel any pressure...I WANT people to give their honest opinions on these discs...and I love the content...so that is 80% of the battle...and the reality is that if I didn't get it...it would bother me not knowing what it sounds like...I'm not expecting Avalon...and in the rare event I don't like it...there were 4 people watching this disc on Ebay..AND it's so scarce that there were only 2 other options on Ebay...check out the first 2 listings HERE

Like I said, take all our opinions on this one with a pinch of salt (apart from mine! :D haha..!! :popcorn )

...seriously (stick with me on this one, its rare I get serious round here but I feel confident in what I'm about to say for a change!) I would be surprised if many people here had heard as many different versions of the "3+3" album as I had.

I think steelydave might have the edge but it'd be a close run thing (and apart from the multiple masterings and mixes I've heard a few of these album tracks excerpted on various comps over the years, mostly sounding lousy it has to be said) and trust me, I do not say this lightly, the SACD in MultiCh is THE ONLY one you want to bother with if sound quality is a priority... the Quad mix is what it is, I love it but I realise some folks don't -- but what I refuse to accept is up for grabs is that the SACD in MultiCh sounds anything less than wonderful by comparison to all other versions I have heard.. I would give that proviso, my glowing praise for the Quad sound on the SACD is when comparing it to a myriad other versions -- and to add another proviso that I feel the recording itself is not the most stellar sounding production in the first place.. for me, the Isleys' 70's studio recordings markedly improved in sound quality as the 3+3 lineup evolved, reaching a peak in '76 with their "Harvest For The World" album which just sounds spectacular (no hype, for me there's no other word for it) whether in Quad or Stereo.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and comments when you receive it and have had the opportunity to give it a fair few cracks of the whip.

Speaking of SACD's...I have a mystery on my hands...I purchased a 2 SACD set which I can't find out anything about...the liner notes don't give any information about the recording...the content is a little before my time but I am familiar with some of the artists..it's music from the 1950's...and I received it yesterday and put on one track and it sounded pretty clear...I found a new copy of this set HERE

Does anyone on the forum have this set or know any of the details about it..

Speaking of SACD's...I have a mystery on my hands...I purchased a 2 SACD set which I can't find out anything about...the liner notes don't give any information about the recording...the content is a little before my time but I am familiar with some of the artists..it's music from the 1950's...and I received it yesterday and put on one track and it sounded pretty clear...I found a new copy of this set HERE

Does anyone on the forum have this set or know any of the details about it..

Clint, Membran, a German company produced a number of these discs in the early SACD days. They're ALL in stereo/surround but that's a bit of a misnomer as they're upsampled mono and pseudo stereo. Some do sound great but methinks the origins of some are needledrops from LPs or 45 rpm vinyl.....or even re~recordings.

Some other examples: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4540#tracks and http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4003#tracks

There were more titles in the series but they're out of print. ImportCD used to blow them out for $8~$12.

Clint, Membran, a German company produced a number of these discs in the early SACD days. They're ALL in stereo/surround but that's a bit of a misnomer as they're upsampled mono and pseudo stereo. Some do sound great but methinks the origins of some are needledrops from LPs or 45 rpm vinyl.....or even re~recordings.

Some other examples: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4540#tracks and http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4003#tracks

On another thread I mentioned them sounding like Wide Stereo...I have to say that whatever source they used.... the content sounds incredibly good(so far as I'm almost finished with the first 25 songs)

On another thread I mentioned them sounding like Wide Stereo...I have to say that whatever source they used.... the content sounds incredibly good(so far as I'm almost finished with the first 25 songs)

If the Rock 'n Roll Memories 2 disc set wasn't SO expensive, I'd say go for that one too. It sounds great (for what it is): http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4540#tracks

These are the kind of compilations that I wish Universal, SONY or Warners would've released on BD~A from the original masters. Wouldn't that have been nice?

If the Rock 'n Roll Memories 2 disc set wasn't SO expensive, I'd say go for that one too. It sounds great (for what it is): http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=4540#tracks

These are the kind of compilations that I wish Universal, SONY or Warners would've released on BD~A from the original masters. Wouldn't that have been nice?

tbh I'd rather Universal, Sony, Warners etc would extract their digits and get more true 5.1 and Quad out on BD-A (etc) than compilations of upmixes but that's just me.. :eek:

I'll keep an eye on that one...how about the Jazz Hits HERE

Well I would say don't pay much for that kinda stuff Clint, the kind of SACD things I have along those lines are to me no more than processed little curiosities.. ok for 5 minutes of fun and for the collection maybe but a waste of the format's surround and hi-res capabilities imho.

:yikes
Well I would say don't pay much for that kinda stuff Clint, the kind of SACD things I have along those lines are to me no more than processed little curiosities.. ok for 5 minutes of fun and for the collection maybe but a waste of the format's surround and hi-res capabilities imho.

I understand what you are saying... but to me the bottom line is sound quality...you are certainly correct about discs like this one not utilizing the potential of the format but I'm an advocate of getting the best sound for the content...no matter where that takes me...if it's a CD...that's fine...if it's some pseudo stereo or material upsampled from a German Shepherd's rectum.....no problem...I've grown tired of the beaten to death crying and moaning because some disc isn't a DVD-A..or "true" hi res..or it didn't come from the original tapes...the pedigree obsession on here at times is stifling...and if it's not 24/96 it "hertz's" some people so much they can hardly breathe....then you have the SACD haters who don't even consider it an audiophile product...despite all the excellent titles we have on that format...in this case with these type of songs(mostly ballad types)with simple compositions I'm not sure a real surround would benefit the music itself...this 2 set disc sounds better than the Hoffman Legend discs IMO...which supposedly had the original master tapes to work from and were from a later period of music..

Of course you know I'm not directing this rant toward you Adam:)...I just have to vent sometimes to feel good about what I'm listening to...to shake off the authenticity seekers that surround me..btw..I only paid $21 for a brand new copy of that set(y)..so there are limits I will go on some things..

I'll keep an eye on that one...how about the Jazz Hits HERE

If you can find a great deal, GO for it. Membran released a LOT of SACD titles of old jazz and some sound better than expected and most are from the 40's and 50's and sound quite decent.

Read your 'rant' about the AF Legends SACD. I know you DON'T want to hear this (snake oil rant on my part) but I just treated that disc (Mapleshade Polish and the 'brilliant' new Ultra Bit Platinum Plus water soluble disc treatment) and on my Marantz SA 11S3 player, it REALLY sounds FANTASTIC now. I felt the exact same way before the treatment.......meh!

BTW, supposedly those two AF stereo compilations were the best selling discs in AF's history. Go figure!

I understand what you are saying... but to me the bottom line is sound quality...you are certainly correct about discs like this one not utilizing the potential of the format but I'm an advocate of getting the best sound for the content...no matter where that takes me...if it's a CD...that's fine...if it's some pseudo stereo or material upsampled from a German Shepherd's rectum.....no problem...I've grown tired of the beaten to death crying and moaning because some disc isn't a DVD-A..or "true" hi res..or it didn't come from the original tapes...the pedigree obsession on here at times is stifling...and if it's not 24/96 it "hertz's" some people so much they can hardly breathe....then you have the SACD haters who don't even consider it an audiophile product...despite all the excellent titles we have on that format...in this case with these type of songs(mostly ballad types)with simple compositions I'm not sure a real surround would benefit the music itself...this 2 set disc sounds better than the Hoffman Legend discs IMO...which supposedly had the original master tapes to work from and were from a later period of music..

Of course you know I'm not directing this rant toward you Adam:)...I just have to vent sometimes to feel good about what I'm listening to...to shake off the authenticity seekers that surround me..btw..I only paid $21 for a brand new copy of that set(y)..so there are limits I will go on some things..

Hey Clint - seems like that's your 2nd rant is less than a week. Whatever people are saying, it's doubtful it is directed at you personally. No need to get wound up - you are just making yourself feel bad by focusing on those comments from others. Let it go. You are not going to change anyone's mind. Wasn't it you yourself who recently said to enjoy the now because you never know what tomorrow will bring?

Hey Clint - seems like that's your 2nd rant is less than a week. Whatever people are saying, it's doubtful it is directed at you personally. No need to get wound up - you are just making yourself feel bad by focusing on those comments from others. Let it go. You are not going to change anyone's mind. Wasn't it you yourself who recently said to enjoy the now because you never know what tomorrow will bring?

I'm not wound up:)...and a good rant(when not directed at a specific individual...like in this case)is therapeutic..I feel much better now(y)...when you do it this way(indirectly) you don't hurt someone's feelings..

Of course I don't take it personally! :)

Vent away! I like it when people get passionate about their music! :upthumb

Discussion of the Compilation Multichannel SACDs issued by the Membran and Documents record labels.

I'm not wound up:)...and a good rant(when not directed at a specific individual...like in this case)is therapeutic..I feel much better now(y)...when you do it this way(indirectly) you don't hurt someone's feelings..

True! True! :)

No hard feelings my end (but then that's what happens after too much vino collapso... :friday: )

Back