HiRez Poll Cramer, Floyd - SUPER COUNTRY HITS/THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Floyd Cramer - SUPER COUNTRY HITS/THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this Hybrid SACD release from the VOCALION label in the UK. This disc features the original 1970's Quadraphonic mix of two albums released by Floyd Cramer - "Super Country Hits" and "The Young and the Restless"

PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION THREAD: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?21386

This title can be found on amazon.uk or can be ordered directly from the manufacturer. Shipping is very quick to the USA from the UK.

http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

Attachments

• Floyd Young.jpg
    Floyd Young.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 224
If you like this material, a great listen with excellent sound quality, and pretty aggressive surround. I'll be getting more of these.

Some good instrumental music in Quad here. I enjoyed the Country Hits portion of the album more.
Surprised that Cramer's hit "Last Date" wasn't included. Perhaps in the next Vocalion batch of Quad SACDs?

Average music, average mix, average arrangement . Real good fidelity though. If you like the music more than me. I was hoping this would be like Chet Atkins on piano. Chet usually did something unbelievable on each song, But this was pretty much just Floyd playing the melody on piano and never anything amazimg. I did get a quad grin on songs 18 and 19 though. Real nice quad mix on those 2. I vote 6.

Average music, average mix, average arrangement . Real good fidelity though. If you like the music more than me. I was hoping this would be like Chet Atkins on piano. Chet usually did something unbelievable on each song, But this was pretty much just Floyd playing the melody on piano and never anything amazimg. I did get a quad grin on songs 18 and 19 though. Real nice quad mix on those 2. I vote 6.

Surprisingly on my system, the two Floyd Cramer SACDs have a pretty enveloping surround scheme because I was marvelling at how adept Dutton Vocalion's stellar transfers captured the subtle nuances of RCA's original QUAD recordings...something, doubtful, that the problematic CD~4 disc system could only 'hint' at....even on a good day.

I, too, expected somewhat more adventuresome music from these Chet Atkin's produced discs and hearing the four albums did produce some nice surprises but they're essentially Easy Listening fare more suitable for dinner and cocktails than showing off one's audio system.

I'm glad to have ALL the Dutton Vocalion albums on QUAD SACD and look forward to more but those expecting rock or jazz offerings should know that DV specializes in conservative fare.......but at a very attractive price!

I agree, DV did a great job putting them on sacd, i just didn't care for the music very much. Probably end up selling it in a few years, maybe it will be out of print a worth a little.The price was definitely super.

I have found an enjoyable spot for this release in my collection. I find that if i only have a half hour left before i go to bed, this is a nice quad to put on, very relaxing, i will play one of the two on this disc. Soothing, and still good quad.

I agree this is an enjoyable collection of easy listening / country western music. The fidelity is excellent. The Quad mix uses the rear channels effectively. Strings are often spread around evenly. The rears are used for guitars, drums and some string parts, etc.. Floyd Cramer's piano is mainly in the front channels. His playing style suits country western music very well, but he is equally at home in the delicate, melancholic world of Soap Operas with a beautiful rendition of the theme song of The Young and The Restless. This gorgeous melody was originally used in the 1971 movie Bless the Beasts and Children. Later on it was used to honor Olympic gymnast Nadia Comaneci and became known as Nadia's Theme. For many listeners, this collection of Floyd Cramer's hits might not be anything more than BGM, but the more I listen to it the more it grows on me. An easy 9 from me.

Last edited:
... but he is equally at home in the delicate, melancholic world of Soap Operas with a beautiful rendition of the theme song of The Young and The Restless.

Let's also point out that this beautiful song was used at the 1976 Montreal Olympics by legendary Romanian gymnast Nadia Comăneci. :)

I agree with Lutey here that the two Cramer discs I've heard are extremely well executed both in playing and mixes. They can be quite enjoyable.

Let's also point out that this beautiful song was used at the 1976 Montreal Olympics by legendary Romanian gymnast Nadia Comăneci. :)

I agree with Lutey here that the two Cramer discs I've heard are extremely well executed both in playing and mixes. They can be quite enjoyable.

No way! LOL! ;) I was just revising my review. Thanks! (y)

I voted a 10. I absolutely love the way this sounds...and I love the goofy "grandma/grandpa" style music. Bring me more of this...I'll buy it.

Back