Is this the first quad single?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I did a search for the phrase "first quad single" on the forum and got nothing. I find it hard to believe this hasn't been discussed before.

Anyway, I was browsing online through the May 1, 1971 issue of Billboard Magazine, and came across an article on page 45, partially quoted below:

"4 -CHANNEL DISK
The Bob Crewe group of labels (Crewe, Generation, Maxwell and others) has released the first matrix 4 -channel compatible single, according to Lawrence LeKashman, president of Electro -Voice, Buchanan, Mich. LeKashman views this as a step toward the 4 -channel jukebox, although he said he has not had time to sound out the four domestic jukebox manufacturers. The New York-based Crewe label released "Jesus Made Me Higher/Put Your Hand in the Hand" by Adam Rogers and the 11th Version. LeKashman, whose firm developed an encoder and decoder to deliver 4 -channel sound, explained that the single is compatible, thus suitable for the regular stereo or even monaural jukeboxes."

Here's a picture of the single, which mentions 4-channel playback on the label:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oTYAAOSw-vlVoFq8/s-l1600.jpg

Obviously, this is an EV-encoded single. But does this qualify as the first quad single ever released?

I read an article some time back, regarding Crewe records issuing 45's (might have been from 71?)

Any ways after that, I was always curious that they may have released "Barbarella" as a single from the EV-4 lp??

Nice pic of a 45 JDMACK.

Yes, here is the article regarding upcoming 45's from Crewe.

And a look at the EV-4 disc. (still gotta wonder if the "Barberella" track went to 45, as the movie, starring Jane Fonda, was quite popular back then-and of course it was because of the music-ya right!!)

20160111_195841.jpg

and the BOB CREWE GENERATION-LET ME TOUCH YOU, EV-4 DISC.

20160111_201914.jpg20160111_201803.jpg20160111_201814.jpg

And a look at the EV-4 disc. (still gotta wonder if the "Barberella" track went to 45, as the movie, starring Jane Fonda, was quite popular back then-and of course it was because of the music-ya right!!)

The movie came out in 1968 and I believe this album came out in 1971, so I don't imagine the movie was still as popular at that point (but I was just a wee lad then, so who knows?).

The movie came out in 1968 and I believe this album came out in 1971, so I don't imagine the movie was still as popular at that point (but I was just a wee lad then, so who knows?).

Yea,3 yrs is a bit of a stretch alright.

....here's an SQ 45 pic, of BILLY JOEL & CHICAGO.

20160112_191136.jpg20160112_191219.jpg20160112_191239.jpg

...NOTE; if the moderator needs to amalgamate the two threads, it might be a good idea at this point.

Back