Uh-oh... I got a problem... Pioneer receiver

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is very interesting.. Do you mean like the distinction between "Surround" and "Surround Back" as in a 7.1 config on a receiver?

I had a similar issue when I first got my Pioneer SC-61, 7.2 AVR with sourcing from the Oppo 103. I originally only had a 5.2 set up so used the "rear" surrounds, not the sides. Movies and most music played fine, until I tried to play the blu ray of Wish You Were Here in 5.1. All of DG's throat clearing and other oddities from the start of tuhe song WYWH were missing until I discovered, like was mentioned here, that some of my music wanted to get funneled through the side surrounds only.

I sympathize. Decoding 4.0 through my Onkyo 708 is patchy. I found setting the multichannel player to output PCM rather than bitstream through the receiver helpful; it forces the player, not the receiver, to decode the quad.

Last edited:
So I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-90 receiver with HDMI inputs for anything I want.

When I connect the HDMI Oppo BDP-103D or the BDP83 output to it and play one of my homemade DVD-A with 4.0 audio, I get no rears. Not even channeled to a different speaker. If I put a 5.1 disc in it plays just fine. The same 4.0 disc plays fine on my Yamaha receiver using both Oppos. I'm thinking that there is a problem with the way the Pioneer handles the 4.0 signal.

The lights on the front show FL/FR/SL/SR so it seems to be getting the channels from the player. In 5.1 the lights are correct as well. I was on the phone with Pioneer service rep today who was very nice but pretty unhelpful. He even talked to an "engineer" who said that the 4.0 format hasn't been recognized sing the late 80's:mad:@:

Even the rep knew that was a bunch of hooey. Any ideas from the smartest people I know???

This is an old thread, but just in case anyone is still having this issue......

I had a similar experience with the OPPO 103 and fixed it, at least with my Yamaha RX2050. YMMV.

My original problem: (Same as yours...) Using Oppo 103, 4.0 ch PCM Bluray media (Quadio or DSOTM Parson mix for example) plays as 2.0 at the receiver.

Thanks to John at Yahama tech support for some chat and diagnostic time. It appears to be an issue with the Oppo HDMI-2 output port, or some handshake issue from HDMI-2 to the receiver's input port.

Switching to Oppo HDMI-1 output cleared up the problem.

Interestingly, I had chosen HDMI-2 originally because it supports DSD!

Hope this helps,
Steve

Back