Pentatone 2016 Remastered Classics Quad SACDs planned releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd post the 2016 planned release schedule for Pentatone's Remastered Classics Quad SACDs. The first wave of Philips Classics is coming and hopefully more of the label's Quad titles will be released in the months/years to come.

March 2016

Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker Suite, Op. 71a / Capriccio Italien / Polonaise and Waltz (from Onegin)
Leopold Stokowski , London Philharmonic Orchestra
Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Purcell - Dido and Aeneas
Sir Colin Davis, Josephine Veasey, Helen Donath, Delia Wallis, Elizabeth Bainbridge, Gillian Knight, Thomas Allen, John Shirley-Quirk, Frank Patterson , Academy of St Martin in the Fields
Henry Purcell

April 2016

Grieg - Peer Gynt Suites Nos. 1 and 2 / Four Norwegian Dances
Raymond Leppard , English Chamber Orchestra
Edvard Grieg

May 2016

Schubert - String Quartet D87 / String Quartet D804 "Rosamunde"
Franz Peter Schubert

July 2016

Mozart - String Quintets Nos. 1-3 / String Quintets Nos. 5-6
Arthur Grumiaux
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

August 2016

Bizet - Carmen Suites I + II / Arlésienne Suites I + II
Sir Neville Marriner , London Symphony Orchestra
Georges Bizet

September 2016

Mozart - Piano Concertos KV 414 + KV 453
Adrian Brendel, Sir Neville Marriner , Academy of St Martin in the Fields
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Beethoven - Sonata No. 1, Op. 12/1 for Piano and Violin / Sonata No. 5, Op. 24 for Piano and Violin
Claudio Arrau, Arthur Grumiaux
Ludwig van Beethoven

October 2016

Beethoven - Violin Concerto, Op. 61 / Bruch - Adagio appassionato, Op. 57 ; Romanze, Op. 42
Salvatore Accardo, Kurt Masur , Gewandhausorchester Leipzig
Ludwig van Beethoven, Max Bruch

November 2016

Bruch - Adagio apassionato, Op. 57 / Romanze, Op. 42
Salvatore Accardo, Kurt Masur , Gewandhausorchester Leipzig
Max Bruch

For more information, visit: http://www.pentatonemusic.com/

:)

SimonA or Lute or anyone who knows,

-Are any of the upcoming SACD'S mixed by Thomas Mowery on the Phillips label? Were they mixed in quad, like the DGG'S?

2ndly

-Which QUAD DGG SACD'S by Thomas, would you say are a must have? I to am a very limited/casual classical listener, but very curious.

-Are any of the upcoming SACD'S mixed by Thomas Mowery on the Phillips label? Were they mixed in quad, like the DGG'S?

2ndly

-Which QUAD DGG SACD'S by Thomas, would you say are a must have? I to am a very limited/casual classical listener, but very curious.

I do enjoy Classical Music a lot Fizzy, but I am not a connaisseur like Lute and some of our fellow Quad Heads here. So far, the only Pentatone Quad SACD I own is this one because I love the music on it:

You're probably familiar with the Adagio from the Concerto de Aranjuez. It's one of my favourite pieces of music and I own several lovely versions of it. Yepes is a master of the guitar and so I'm happy to own that version. Pentatone really filled up the disc with two other works, so at 77 minutes+, I think it's a great deal. My next Pentatone purchase will be Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 2 by The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra with Edo de Waart. The disc also features Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol.

There might be others versions out there with preferred performances, but I want to support Pentatone whilst adding music to my collection that I will actually enjoy playing often. I no longer want to buy something just because the mix or the mastering is excellent but the music does nothing for me.

I do enjoy Classical Music a lot Fizzy, but I am not a connaisseur like Lute and some of our fellow Quad Heads here. So far, the only Pentatone Quad SACD I own is this one because I love the music on it:

You're probably familiar with the Adagio from the Concerto de Aranjuez. It's one of my favourite pieces of music and I own several lovely versions of it. Yepes is a master of the guitar and so I'm happy to own that version. Pentatone really filled up the disc with two other works, so at 77 minutes+, I think it's a great deal. My next Pentatone purchase will be Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 2 by The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra with Edo de Waart. The disc also features Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol.

There might be others versions out there with preferred performances, but I want to support Pentatone whilst adding music to my collection that I will actually enjoy playing often. I no longer want to buy something just because the mix or the mastering is excellent but the music does nothing for me.

Thanks for the reference SimonA, and the pic.

Lute, what are the top five "must-haves" from this list (for a casual classical fan:))?

Top 5 "must-haves"!!?? WOW!! That's a tough one. :mad:@:

First of all, I haven't heard any of these SACDs, so I can't comment on the sound or mix. And I am not sure whether or not Thomas Mowrey was involved with any other these Quad recordings. As for the music, it's all wonderful.

Popular Orchestral works are:
Beethoven - Violin Concerto
Mozart - Piano concertos K.414 & 453
Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker
Bizet - Carmen Suites
Grieg - Peer Gynt Suites

And...don't forget the excellent chamber music here. Fans of Beethoven will enjoy his Violin Sonatas No. 1 & 5.

But... "Mozart - String Quintets" and "Schubert - String Quartets" are definitely "must-haves" for me...especially if the Schubert is performed by the Quartetto Italiano. Grumiaux's performance of Mozart's Quintets is a slam dunk (as Ralphie would say). Right of the bat, I'll probably get these 2 along with Mozart's piano concertos, which are superb performances by Brendel.

I am also intrigued to hear how the Purcell - Dido and Aeneas sounds in Quad.

I am not sure why "Bruch - Adagio apassionato, Op. 57 / Romanze, Op. 42" is listed for release twice... October 2016 and November 2016. I wonder if this is a typo by PentaTone.

Top 5 "must-haves"!!?? WOW!! That's a tough one. :mad:@:

First of all, I haven't heard any of these SACDs, so I can't comment on the sound or mix. And I am not sure whether or not Thomas Mowrey was involved with any other these Quad recordings. As for the music, it's all wonderful.

Popular Orchestral works are:
Beethoven - Violin Concerto
Mozart - Piano concertos K.414 & 453
Tchaikovsky - Nutcracker
Bizet - Carmen Suites
Grieg - Peer Gynt Suites

And...don't forget the excellent chamber music here. Fans of Beethoven will enjoy his Violin Sonatas No. 1 & 5.

But... "Mozart - String Quintets" and "Schubert - String Quartets" are definitely "must-haves" for me...especially if the Schubert is performed by the Quartetto Italiano. Grumiaux's performance of Mozart's Quintets is a slam dunk (as Ralphie would say). Right of the bat, I'll probably get these 2 along with Mozart's piano concertos, which are superb performances by Brendel.

I am also intrigued to hear how the Purcell - Dido and Aeneas sounds in Quad.

I am not sure why "Bruch - Adagio apassionato, Op. 57 / Romanze, Op. 42" is listed for release twice... October 2016 and November 2016. I wonder if this is a typo by PentaTone.

Good lord - I am always impressed how you just "know your stuff". Crazy.......

2ndly

I am not sure if Thomas Mowrey recorded any of these new releases.

But, I can wholeheartedly recommend his Quad recordings of:

Ravel - Orchestral Works
http://www.amazon.com/Ravel-Orchest...d=1452917507&sr=8-1&keywords=SACD+ravel+Ozawa

Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique
http://www.amazon.com/Berlioz-fanta..._15_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RXJC4XHTZXHZVXZCPNT

Berlioz - La Damnation de Faust
http://www.amazon.com/Berlioz-Damna...1452747124&sr=8-1&keywords=SACD+Berlioz+Faust

Here's an article from January 2015... http://quadraphonic.info/Thomas_Mowrey/8-Stereoplay-Jan- 2015-Quad.pdf

Last edited:
Nice info, thanks!

Does anyone know the character of these quads - that is, instruments in all channels, listener in the middle of it, room ambience only in back?

And are the dates of the original recordings available?

And a wonderful, fantastic sounding NAXOS mch SACD which belongs in every classical lover's collection http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2833

Highly recommended and very nice use of surrounds.

And another exquisite overlooked NAXOS discrete mch SACD: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=2400

Both are also available on DVD~A.

Hey Ralphie...let me just say it's great having another "Lute" on board to guide us through the classical music waters...Lute has become the "go to" guy on this board for classical works...now we have another:)

I have collected the following albums of this year's wave:
1) Bizet: Carmen and L'Arlesienne Suites Nos. 1 & 2
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Neville Marriner
2) Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites Nos. 1 & 2 / Four Norwegian Dances
English Chamber Orchestra, Raymond Leppard
3) Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 12 & 17
Alfred Brendel, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner
4) Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite, Capriccio Italien & Polonaise and Valse from Onegin
London Philharmonic Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski
They are simply awesome. PENTATONE is going to continue their Remastered Classics series also in 2017. They shared a message: "We are negotiating with some majors to continue working on our "Remastered Classics" series. All info about our releases will be announced on*http://www.pentatonemusic.com/*or http://www.pentatonemusic.com/releases".
These majors could be the 4-channel productions of Thomas Mowrey or the unreleased quad recordings of Philips Classics.
So, the next year's bunch might be as follows:
1) SIBELIUS, JEAN: Symphonies Nos. 1 & 4
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Philips Classics reissue)
2) SIBELIUS, JEAN: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 3
3) SIBELIUS, JEAN: Symphony No. 6 / Finlandia / Tapiola
4) MOZART, WOLFGANG AMADEUS: Masses in C minor "Great" and C major "Coronation"
Donath, Harper, Davies, Dean, The John Alldis Choir, London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Philips Classics reissue)
- Recorded in February 1971 at the Westminster Cathedral, London, United Kingdom
- Vittorio Negri, producer
5) STRAVINSKY, IGOR: The Firebird (complete ballet)
Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Philips Classics reissue)
- Recorded in November 1978 at the Great Hall of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands
6) HOLST, GUSTAV: The Planets, Op. 32 & STRAUSS, RICHARD: Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30
New England Conservatory Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, William Steinberg (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Recorded in October 1970 (Holst) and in March 1971 (Strauss) at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
- Karl Faust, Hans Weber, Rainer Brock and Thomas Mowrey, producers
- Günter Hermanns, balance engineer
7) BERNSTEIN, LEONARD: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story & GERSHWIN, GEORGE: An American in Paris
San Francisco Symphony, Seiji Ozawa (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Recorded in May 1976 at the DeAnza College, Flint Center, Cupertino, United States
- Thomas Mowrey, producer
- Karl-August Naegler, balance engineer
8) LISZT, FRANZ: A Faust Symphony
Kenneth Riegel, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Recorded in July 1976 at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
9) RAVEL, MAURICE: Daphnis and Chloe (complete ballet) & La Valse
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Seiji Ozawa (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Recorded in 1974 at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
10) BERLIOZ, HECTOR: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 17 (complete)

Keep the fingers crossed! :)

Lähetetty minun H60-L04 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Hello everybody!
I have collected the following albums:

1) Bizet/Marriner
2) Grieg/Leppard
3) Mozart/Brendel
4) Tchaikovsky/Stokowski

They have been simply awesome. Immersive 4-channel sound, top-notch performances. PENTATONE is going to continue this series also in 2017. They shared a message: "We are negotiating with some majors to continue working on our "Remastered Classics" series. All info about our releases will be announced on http://www.pentatonemusic.com/ or http://www.pentatonemusic.com/releases. These major could be the quad productions of Thomas Mowrey or the unreleased 4-channel recordings of Philips Classics. So, the next year's bunch might be as follows:

Boston Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Philups Classics reissue)
- Recorded between 1975-1976 at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
4) MOZART, WOLFGANG AMADEUS: Masses in C minor "Great" & in C major "Coronation"
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Philips Classics reissue)¨
- Recorded in February 1971 at the Westminster Cathedral, London, United Kingdom
- Recorded in October 1978 at the Great Hall of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands
6) BACH, JOHANN SEBASTIAN: Violin Concertos (includes Concerto for Two Violins)
Henryk Szeryng, Maurice Hasson, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner (Philips Classics reissue)
- Recorded in June 1976 at the Walthamstow Assembly Hall, London, United Kingdom
7) BRITTEN, BENJAMIN: Peter Grimes, Op. 33 (complete opera)
Orchestra of the Royal Opera House Govent Garden, Sir Colin Davis (Philips Classics reissue)
- Recorded in May 1978 at the All Saints' Church, Tooting, London, United Kingdom
8) HAYDN, JOSEPH: Symphonies No. 100 in G "Military", No. 101 in D "The Clock" & No. 104 in D "London"
- Recorded in November 1977 (Nos. 100 & 104) and in May 1979 (No. 101) at the Great Hall of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands
9) HOLST, GUSTAV: The Planets & STRAUSS, RICHARD: Also sprach Zarathustra
New England Conservatory Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, William Steinberg (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Recorded in October 1970 (Holst) and in March 1971 (Strauss) at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
- Karl Faust, Hans Weber, Reiner Brock & Thomas Mowrey, producers
- Gunter Hermanns, balance engineer
10) BERNSTEIN, LEONARD: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story & GERSHWIN, GEORGE: An American in Paris
- Recorded in May 1976 at the DeAnza College, Flint Center, Cupertino, United States
11) TCHAIKOVSKY, PETER ILYICH: Pique Dame (The Queen of Spades), Op. 68 (complete opera)
Orchestre National de France, Mstislav Rostropovich (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Recorded in January 1977 at the Radio France, Paris, France
- Cord Garben, producer
- Wolfgang Mitlehner, balance engineer
12) LISZT, FRANZ: A Faust Symphony
Kenneth Riegel, Tanglewood Festival Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein (Deutsche Grammophon reissue)
- Gunter Hermanns, balance engineer
13) RAVEL, MAURICE: Orchestral Works Volume 2 (Bolero, Rapsodie espagnole, Pavane & La Valse)
- Recorded in March 1974 (La Valse & Rapsodie), in April 1974 (Bolero) and in October 1974 (Pavane) at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
- Joachim Niss, Hans-Peter Schweigmann & Gernot Westhaeuser, balance engineers
14) RAVEL, MAURICE: La Valse (complete ballet)
15) BERLIOZ, HECTOR: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 17 (complete)
- Recorded in 1975 at the Symphony Hall, Boston, United States
- Thomas Mowrey, producer¨
"I produced this recording for Deutsche Grammophon. It was recorded 8-track on 1-inch tape, and I mixed it simultaneously to 2-track stereo for LP release and to 4-track surround in the same fashion as I did the Carmen, Damnation of Faust, Symphonie Fantastique and Treemonisha recordings which have just been released — that is, with 360-degree direct sound sources, rather than just hall ambiance in the side/back channels. It is an exciting performance and recording". Thomas Mowrey

Welcome to QQ, Luukas!

It's great to have you here. I know Ralphie and others will also be glad to see you. :banana:
(Btw, this is Biwa.)

I have collected the following albums of this year's wave:
1) Bizet: Carmen and L'Arlesienne Suites Nos. 1 & 2
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Neville Marriner
2) Grieg: Peer Gynt Suites Nos. 1 & 2 / Four Norwegian Dances
English Chamber Orchestra, Raymond Leppard
3) Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 12 & 17
Alfred Brendel, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner
4) Tchaikovsky: Nutcracker Suite, Capriccio Italien & Polonaise and Valse from Onegin
London Philharmonic Orchestra, Leopold Stokowski
They are simply awesome. PENTATONE is going to continue their Remastered Classics series also in 2017. They shared a message: "We are negotiating with some majors to continue working on our "Remastered Classics" series. All info about our releases will be announced on*http://www.pentatonemusic.com/*or http://www.pentatonemusic.com/releases".
These majors could be the 4-channel productions of Thomas Mowrey or the unreleased quad recordings of Philips Classics.
So, the next year's bunch might be as follows:
4) MOZART, WOLFGANG AMADEUS: Masses in C minor "Great" and C major "Coronation"
Donath, Harper, Davies, Dean, The John Alldis Choir, London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Philips Classics reissue)
- Recorded in November 1978 at the Great Hall of the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam, Netherlands
6) HOLST, GUSTAV: The Planets, Op. 32 & STRAUSS, RICHARD: Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30
- Karl Faust, Hans Weber, Rainer Brock and Thomas Mowrey, producers
7) BERNSTEIN, LEONARD: Symphonic Dances from West Side Story & GERSHWIN, GEORGE: An American in Paris
8) LISZT, FRANZ: A Faust Symphony
9) RAVEL, MAURICE: Daphnis and Chloe (complete ballet) & La Valse
10) BERLIOZ, HECTOR: Romeo and Juliet, Op. 17 (complete)

Keep the fingers crossed! :)

Lähetetty minun H60-L04 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Welcome to the forum:bounce17

Pentatone has released more info about the three classic Philips Quads they have put out. Here is quick recap of their Press Release.

MOZART: Piano Concertos, KV 414 + KV 453

This release in PENTATONE’s Remastered Classics series presents a 1970 Philips Classics recording of the two piano concertos in a performance by Alfred Brendel, with the Academy of St Martin in the Fields conducted by Sir Neville Marriner.

Brendel%20SACD_zpsr1c1xc2k.png

GEORGES BIZET: Carmen & L’Arlésienne Suites 1 & 2

In this 1978 recording of the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Neville Marriner the suites are performed by one of the world’s most renowned orchestras coupled with one of the most distinguished conductors of the 20th century.

Carmen%20SACD_zpsbqosv3a7.png

LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN: Sonatas for Piano & Violin

With this release, PENTATONE presents in its Remastered Classics series another album where musical titans are at work. No less than Chilean pianist Claudio Arrau, generally considered to be one of the greatest pianists of the twentieth century, and Belgian violinist Arthur Grumiaux, the most important representative of the Franco-Belgian violin school as well as a truly great violin virtuoso, joined forces in Amsterdam in 1973 to record the Beethoven piano and violin sonatas nos. 1 and 5.

Beethoven%20Violin%20Sonatas%20SACD_zpsp9gd6lqr.png

These three titles are available on Hybrid Multichannel SACDs, in digital formats for streaming and high resolution downloads. The original master tapes were transferred in superior quality as 2,8 mHz, 1 bit DSD recording.

Wow, great news indeed! And yes, Philips seems to be pretty dry now as you mentioned Ubertrout. But there are most likely 5 quadraphonic albums that are waiting for their original splendor:
1) Mozart: Mass in C minor "Great" / Mass in C major "Coronation"
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Westminster Cathedral, 1971, Vittorio Negri)
2) Sibelius, Jean: Symphonies Nos. 1-4 & 6 / Finlandia / Tapiola
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Boston Symphony Hall, 1975-1976, Vittorio Negri & Wilhelm Hellweg)
3) Faure: Requiem & Pavane
Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Jean Fournet (DeDoelen, 1975, Wilhelm Hellweg)
4) Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos Nos. 1-4 (complete)
Rafael Orozco, Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Edo de Waart (DeDoelen, 1972-1973, Wilhelm Hellweg)
5) Tchaikovsky: Piano Concertos Nos. 1-3 (complete) / Andante and Finale, Op. 79 / Concert Fantasy, Op. 56
Werner Haas, Orchestre National de l'Opéra de Monte-Carlo, Eliahu Inbal (Monte-Carlo, 1970-1971, Vittorio Negri)

Wow, great news indeed! And yes, Philips seems to be pretty dry now as you mentioned Ubertrout. But there are most likely 5 quadraphonic albums that are waiting for their original splendor:
London Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Westminster Cathedral, 1971, Vittorio Negri)
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Sir Colin Davis (Boston Symphony Hall, 1975-1976, Vittorio Negri & Wilhelm Hellweg)
Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Jean Fournet (DeDoelen, 1975, Wilhelm Hellweg)
Rafael Orozco, Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Edo de Waart (DeDoelen, 1972-1973, Wilhelm Hellweg)
5) Tchaikovsky: Piano Concertos Nos. 1-3 (complete) / Andante and Finale, Op. 79 / Concert Fantasy, Op. 56
Werner Haas, Orchestre National de l'Opéra de Monte-Carlo, Eliahu Inbal (Monte-Carlo, 1970-1971, Vittorio Negri)

If these do indeed come out in the near future, I'd be all over #2 and #4.

I don't know all of these recordings, but the reviews on the internet are great for all of them and they all seem to be for the right dates. One caveat for the Davis/Boston Sibelius recordings - I suspect they're not in quad. If they were we would have had this long ago - Pentatone has of course released the 5th and 7th and some of the tone poems already. Looking at recording dates, 5&7 were recorded in the same sessions in early 1975, while the rest were recorded in 1976 (dates from Discogs, feel free to correct me). I know '75 is generally seen as the end of the quad era, although Pentatone has provided us quad recordings from later in the decade, perhaps none were being made in 1976.

Back