Pentatone 2016 Remastered Classics Quad SACDs planned releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMPORTANT
Today PENTATONE announced its first RC album of next year:

July 2017
REMASTERED CLASSICS Mozart String Quintets Nos. 1-6
Arthur Grumiaux, Georges Janzer, Eva Czako, Max Lesueur, Arpad Gérecz
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

They'll add more titles as soon as they're ready. And look the releases of September 2017! Superb stuff is coming, definitely:

Engelbert Humperdinck - Hänsel und Gretel
Marek Janowski, Sophie Harmsen, Sophie Klussmann, Ricarda Merbeth, Albert Dohmen, Christian Elsner , Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra & Gustav Mahler - Totenfeier
Vladimir Jurowski , Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

Oh dear, look these releases:

October 2017
Richard Strauss - Salome
Andrés Orozco - Estrada , Frankfurt Radio Symphony
THE FIRST MULTI-CHANNEL ALBUM OF STRAUSS'S "SALOME"! 1-BIT DSD SOUND GUARANTEED BY POLYHYMNIA! HURRAH! ;)

Verdi Otello
Nikolai Schukoff, Melody Moore, Lester Lynch , Jamie Barton, Keving Short, Lawrence Foster , Gulbenkian Orchestra
Giuseppe Verdi

Britten & Hindemith Violin Concertos
Arabella Steinbacher, Vladimir Jurowski , Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin
Benjamin Britten, Paul Hindemith

November
PENTATONE OXINGALE SERIES "Troika"
Matt Haimovitz, Christopher O'Riley
Sergei Prokofiev, Dmitri Shostakovich, Sergei Rachmaninov

Haydn - The Creation
Andrés Orozco - Estrada , Houston Symphony
Franz Joseph Haydn

Find the all planning releases here: http://www.pentatonemusic.com/releases

Last edited:
HURRAY, more quad remasters! Oh dear, this is so exciting... :D

May 2017
REMASTERED CLASSICS Puccini - La Fanciulla del West
Zubin Mehta, Placido Domingo , Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
Giacomo Puccini

July 2017
REMASTERED CLASSICS Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra & Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
Seiji Ozawa, Raphael Kubelik , Boston Symphony Orchestra
Béla Bartók

They will add more albums soon. However, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis (Marek Janowski) looks very interesting, too. The first MCH SACD of this work!

Check the release planning list: http://www.pentatonemusic.com/releases

May 2017
Zubin Mehta, Placido Domingo , Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden
Giacomo Puccini

July 2017
REMASTERED CLASSICS Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra & Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
Béla Bartók

They will add more albums soon. However, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis (Marek Janowski) looks very interesting, too. The first MCH SACD of this work!

Awesome, thanks for the update. Also, notably, these are both Deutsche Grammophon recordings, so they have access to those again. Which is of course fantastic.

The Puccini is still in print - I rarely buy opera but I assume for fans this will be a must.

The Bartok is an interesting amalgam - Ozawa LP of the Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta never seems to have had a proper CD release, although DG does sell it as a MP3. Thomas Mowrey produced it, so I assume the surround mix will be engaging: https://www.discogs.com/Béla-Bartók...ercussion-Celesta-The-Miracul/release/2220110. As for the Kubelik recording of the Concerto for Orchestra, it's David Hurwitz's (Classics Today) reference version, but Mr. Mowrey does not appear to have been involved: https://www.discogs.com/Béla-Bartók...hester-Concerto-For-Orchestra/release/1034736. I'm kind of curious why they didn't also include the Miraculous Mandarin Suite the Ozawa is paired with instead, but an interesting release regardless.

I noticed the Brahms String Quintets mentioned as well for April. Not sure if this is a new recording or the 70s recording done by the Berlin Philharmonic Octet.

Still hoping they release the more obscure Bruch recordings that were listed on last year's schedule.

I like Bartok, so that's a must when its released.

May 2017
Giacomo Puccini

July 2017
Béla Bartók

Awesome, thanks for the update. Also, notably, these are both Deutsche Grammophon recordings, so they have access to those again. Which is of course fantastic.

I noticed the Brahms String Quintets mentioned as well for April. Not sure if this is a new recording or the 70s recording done by the Berlin Philharmonic Octet.

Still hoping they release the more obscure Bruch recordings that were listed on last year's schedule.

I forgot to put in a plug for the Beaux Arts Trio recordings of Brahms's Piano Quartets, one of their greatest releases IMHO

51gPALYKnvL.jpg

I do enjoy Classical Music a lot Fizzy, but I am not a connaisseur like Lute and some of our fellow Quad Heads here. So far, the only Pentatone Quad SACD I own is this one because I love the music on it:

You're probably familiar with the Adagio from the Concerto de Aranjuez. It's one of my favourite pieces of music and I own several lovely versions of it. Yepes is a master of the guitar and so I'm happy to own that version. Pentatone really filled up the disc with two other works, so at 77 minutes+, I think it's a great deal. My next Pentatone purchase will be Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 2 by The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra with Edo de Waart. The disc also features Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol.

There might be others versions out there with preferred performances, but I want to support Pentatone whilst adding music to my collection that I will actually enjoy playing often. I no longer want to buy something just because the mix or the mastering is excellent but the music does nothing for me.

Thanks very much for this info!
I really like this one and specially with Yepes on guitar as he played in the TV-version i saw ages ago.
If i now can get it in surround sound it is fantastic!

I do enjoy Classical Music a lot Fizzy, but I am not a connaisseur like Lute and some of our fellow Quad Heads here. So far, the only Pentatone Quad SACD I own is this one because I love the music on it:

You're probably familiar with the Adagio from the Concerto de Aranjuez. It's one of my favourite pieces of music and I own several lovely versions of it. Yepes is a master of the guitar and so I'm happy to own that version. Pentatone really filled up the disc with two other works, so at 77 minutes+, I think it's a great deal. My next Pentatone purchase will be Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 2 by The Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra with Edo de Waart. The disc also features Rimsky-Korsakov's Capriccio Espagnol.

There might be others versions out there with preferred performances, but I want to support Pentatone whilst adding music to my collection that I will actually enjoy playing often. I no longer want to buy something just because the mix or the mastering is excellent but the music does nothing for me.

Now I have gotten the disc and it is as good as i hoped!
I will check for more discs to buy from here.
Once again thanks for the info about this particular disc.
It seems to have been recorded about the same time as the TV episode i saw.

Well, it looks like we'll not receive Mozart String Quartets. They have deleted the album on release planning.

Well, it looks like we'll not receive Mozart String Quartets. They have deleted the album on release planning.

Pretty sure you mean Quintets, but dispiriting regardless. Thanks for the update

The way I see it, in an era where most major works are on SACD on a number of different labels from different eras, there needs to be something unique to distinguish a new release - having another recording from a regional orchestra and barely-known conductor of a heavily-recorded piece doesn't entice me much, but Pentatone's release schedule for this year is heavy with such recordings, while they seem to be pulling back from their quad programs, which frankly tend to offer performances with more character. Note that I don't mean that exclusively, and there's plenty of interesting stuff on their schedule, but was anyone asking for more late Dvorak symphonies or Bruckner symphonies, unless it's a performance we really need to hear?

I am just discovering these and have already bought four. I hope Pentatone continues with these as they are generally excellent in performance and sonics.

They've built a catalog of almost 200 of these quad transfers - I'd say well over half are worth owning.

I have the Brendel Mozart Piano Concertos, Giuliani Guitar Concertos, Boston Symphony Ravel, and the Accardo Beethoven/Bruch Violin Concertos. Are there a couple more that you can highly recommend? I would love to pick up some more of the high quality ones. I must admit, the sonics are so good on a couple of these that one could easily mistake them for modern recordings, even though they are from 40 years ago!

Thanks!

I have the Brendel Mozart Piano Concertos, Giuliani Guitar Concertos, Boston Symphony Ravel, and the Accardo Beethoven/Bruch Violin Concertos. Are there a couple more that you can highly recommend? I would love to pick up some more of the high quality ones. I must admit, the sonics are so good on a couple of these that one could easily mistake them for modern recordings, even though they are from 40 years ago!

Thanks!

Bktouchstone, I have collected a significant amount of REMASTERED CLASSICS albums. My current collection includes the following discs:

- Beethoven/Bruch Violin Concertos (Accardo & Masur)
- Beethoven Piano Concertos 3 & 5 (Eschenbach & Ozawa & Henze)
- Beethoven Violin Sonatas 1 & 5 "Spring" (Grumiaux & Arrau)
- Berlioz La Damnation de Faust (Ozawa)
- Berlioz Symphonie fantastique (Ozawa)
- Bizet Carmen & L'Arlesienne Suites 1 & 2 (Marriner)
- Bizet Carmen (Bernstein)
- Bruch/Mendelssohn Violin Concertos (Minz & Abbado)
- Grieg Peer Gynt Suites & Four Norwegian Dances (Leppard)
- Haydn Violin Concerto in C & Sinfonia concertante (Zukerman)
- Kreisler Music for Violin and Piano (Mintz & Benson)
- Mozart Piano Concertos 14 & 26 "Coronation" (Vasary)
- Mozart Piano Concertos 12 & 17 (Brendel)
- Ravel Orchestral Works (Ozawa)
- Stravinsky The Rite of Spring (Michael Tilson Thomas)
- Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite & Capriccio Italien (Stokowski)

They are all recommendable but my top 5 list would be:

1) Berlioz La Damnation de Faust
2) Bizet Carmen
3) Stravinsky The Rite of Spring
4) Berlioz Symphonie fantastique
5) Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite & Capriccio Italien

I hope this helps you. Happy listening! :)

Last edited:

Thanks!

So, the Remastered Classics is a continuation of Pentatone's RQR line, but they're esentially the same aside from different artwork and sourcing (the Remastered Classics come from Deutsche Grammophon or Philips recordings, RQR was all Philips recordings). I don't disagree with @luketsu on the Remastered Classics ones, but on the RQR ones I'd especially recommend Colin Davis's Berlioz & Sibelius, anything with Arthur Grumiaux or Claudio Arrau (except, weirdly, their collaboration on the Beethoven violin sonatas), Alan Civil's recording of the Mozart Horn Concertos, Marriner in the Mozart Youth Symphonies (collected in a 4-SACD set), and Masur in Beethoven symphonies (5 SACD set) and overtures (2 SACD set). Also anything with the Beaux Arts Trio. And Stokowski's recording of Tchaikovsky's Serenade and Francesca de Rimini.

Back