Anthony Phillips "Sides" 3-CD/1-DVD Deluxe Edition Coming Soon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived this morning, they'd forgotten me, once reminded I have to say its the fastest post/delivery I've had from London to down here on the edge of civilisation...............we think carrier pigeons are modern here!

I have finally got roud to listening to the CD version, I will find time for the 5.1 I found teh music a bit different from the fist two albums and was not sure after the first track I was going to like the album.
As it went on i found my sucked in though and its a very good album.

I find myself wondering why genesis let such a good songwriter leave the band.

What a wonderfully eclectic mix of an album this is. This my second Anthony Phillips album after "Geese & Ghost" and I am really pleased that I decided to pick both of these new editions up. Fantastic sound quality and a top notch 5.1 mix. Is there a poll for "sides"?

--Greg

I wanted to listen to my recent arrival last night - but I knew I needed to really sit down, no distractions and listen. Didn't find that time...so probably this weekend. Nice package though....very cool!

It's not Steven Wilson who remixed this one. It should be the same guys who remixed "The Geese & The Ghost" into surround last year, and I'm pretty sure they are also the ones who should be behind the upcoming reissue of "Wise After the Event". That being said, if these two upcoming surround releases are anything like "The Geese & The Ghost", then they will definitely be worth having! :)

It's Simon Hayworth and Andy Miles. Simon worked with Mike Oldfield on Tubular Bells and has more recently worked with Rob Reed mastering Rob's superb 5.1 mixes. He's a "known quantity" and has a great track record.

I have finally got roud to listening to the CD version, I will find time for the 5.1 I found teh music a bit different from the fist two albums and was not sure after the first track I was going to like the album.
As it went on i found my sucked in though and its a very good album.

I find myself wondering why genesis let such a good songwriter leave the band.

They had to let him leave because his stage fright was wreaking havoc on him, but if you watch any Genesis documentary (including the recent one, "Sum of the Parts") they say that Ant's departure was the most significant blow to the group because they really didn't think they could carry on without him at the time. Of course, we all know now that they ended up making much better music once he left, but at the time, they didn't think they could. They really did think it was over.

What a wonderfully eclectic mix of an album this is. This my second Anthony Phillips album after "Geese & Ghost" and I am really pleased that I decided to pick both of these new editions up. Fantastic sound quality and a top notch 5.1 mix. Is there a poll for "sides"?

--Greg

Not yet, but hopefully Jon will make one in the next week or so. :)

It's Simon Hayworth and Andy Miles. Simon worked with Mike Oldfield on Tubular Bells and has more recently worked with Rob Reed mastering Rob's superb 5.1 mixes. He's a "known quantity" and has a great track record.

They are also the mastering team responsible for mastering Steven Wilson's King Crimson remixes for the 40th anniversary reissues.
And yes, they do have a great track record for quality. AFAIK, Steven's never requested that their mastering on his KC mixes be pulled and replaced with his flat transfers, so that says a lot right there. :)

They are also the mastering team responsible for mastering Steven Wilson's King Crimson remixes for the 40th anniversary reissues.
And yes, they do have a great track record for quality. AFAIK, Steven's never requested that their mastering on his KC mixes be pulled and replaced with his flat transfers, so that says a lot right there. :)

Simon Heyworth also handled the Depeche Mode reissues in 5.1

--Greg

Today I fi ally have got round to listening to the rather excellent surround mix of this album.
This is definitely a very high marks album, and has grown on me.
The surround is brilliant by the way roll on 1984

Wows. Enjoyed this WAY more than I thought I would. Great mix, I'd say. Much to engage your attention away from the vocals, which I think are the weak link here.
But they don't bug me in 5.1.

Wows. Enjoyed this WAY more than I thought I would. Great mix, I'd say. Much to engage your attention away from the vocals, which I think are the weak link here.

Anthony Phillips was never going to be a stellar singer in the same way that Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel is, but I definitely enjoy his vocals more on these albums than I do on Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford's albums when they sang… :violin

I agree with the vocals comment about the other Anthony Phillips albums, but on Sides most of the vocals are done by others, and I think their singing is excellent. Glad you enjoy it though :)

Back