DVD-A coming to Sony universal player. Yes, DVD-Audio!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 4K video native decoding? Is this a joke???

This would be a very interesting product if released 2 or 3 years ago.

One will still need to buy a 4K UltraHD BluRay player in a few months, so why pay for two and have two BluRay players connected to one's hi fi system??? :confused:

They are going to release a 4k player later this year...check this out

They are going to release a 4k player later this year...check this out

From what I have read, UHD players should hit the market in March, so Sony's 1080P player is a day late and a dollar short.

I am a HUGE fan of 4K. Most films are shot in 4K and if you equated traditional film to digital you'd get roughly 4000ish x 2000ish.

So for the first time in human existence we get to purchase home movies that are native resolution. That is pretty incredible to a guy like me who grew up with 230i TV. :rolleyes:

From what I have read, UHD players should hit the market in March, so Sony's 1080P player is a day late and a dollar short.

I am a HUGE fan of 4K. Most films are shot in 4K and if you equated traditional film to digital you'd get roughly 4000ish x 2000ish.

So for the first time in human existence we get to purchase home movies that are native resolution. That is pretty incredible to a guy like me who grew up with 230i TV. :rolleyes:

You can buy one to these here

You can buy one to these here

The only problem for early 4K adopters is the format's inability to do 4K 3D. If one remembers, the early 2K BD players also failed to include 3D and adopted it in later models necessitating early adopters to purchase newer units. And we all know how amazing 4K 3D would look (The Martian, in particular, received high scores for its 3D 2K presentation). http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/26846/themartian3d.html

The only problem for early 4K adopters is the format's inability to do 4K 3D. If one remembers, the early 2K BD players also failed to include 3D and adopted it in later models necessitating early adopters to purchase newer units. And we all know how amazing 4K 3D would look (The Martian, in particular, received high scores for its 3D 2K presentation). http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/26846/themartian3d.html

I came from the video world and I was an early adopter of 3D and I have to admit it's nothing more than a novelty...and as excited as TV companies are about 4k..it's not going to be anything but a niche product in the US...sort of like blu ray became...you aren't going to have the ability to turn on your mainstream channels and see a 4k broadcast...there are just too many logistical problems in the US for it to resemble anything close to widely distributed 4k over the "airwaves"like your ABC..NBC..CBS..and Fox networks...the major networks won't be able to or willing to
provide this...of course if you listen to the new generation of adults... a lot of them don't even own TV's...they stream everything on devices...by 2020 8k will be a reality in Japan...they have already tested it...of course with the size of Japan it's easily adopted..

The sad part is that the TV makers are excited because they can sell their "average" tvs with denser pixels and get away with it because the source(4k)will bail them out...as a Panasonic Plasma owner(I have 4 of them)..the only thing that interests me is OLED in the future...if they can improve their motion problems these could represent some real improvement in a display...I happen to be in HH Gregg today and was watching a 65in 4k OLED(LG)on a carefully prepared "loop" of stationary 4k images....I'd love to see some action shots where rapid motion is involved to see how much they have improved the picture..

Another problem with 3D is you need a very large screen size..one of my TVs is 65inch that I've watched 3D on and it's not big enough to really take advantage of 3D...even with the compression algorithms that are being used it's still not viable for me with my internet service..the internet infrastructure in the US is poor(at best)compared to other countries..Directv will probably be one of the sources for 4k in the US...they can do more than cable systems...but the cost vs the number of subscribers will probably be like 3D was for them...they had a dedicated channel for 3D and didn't get the subscribers they needed...it's ironic that a disc based medium(4k blu ray) might be the savior for an advanced technology...but I suspect the unavailabililty of "real" 4k content will continue to hurt the technology...

I came from the video world and I was an early adopter of 3D and I have to admit it's nothing more than a novelty...and as excited as TV companies are about 4k..it's not going to be anything but a niche product in the US...sort of like blu ray became...you aren't going to have the ability to turn on your mainstream channels and see a 4k broadcast...there are just too many logistical problems in the US for it to resemble anything close to widely distributed 4k over the "airwaves"like your ABC..NBC..CBS..and Fox networks...the major networks won't be able to or willing to
provide this...of course if you listen to the new generation of adults... a lot of them don't even own TV's...they stream everything on devices...by 2020 8k will be a reality in Japan...they have already tested it...of course with the size of Japan it's easily adopted..

The sad part is that the TV makers are excited because they can sell their "average" tvs with denser pixels and get away with it because the source(4k)will bail them out...as a Panasonic Plasma owner(I have 4 of them)..the only thing that interests me is OLED in the future...if they can improve their motion problems these could represent some real improvement in a display...I happen to be in HH Gregg today and was watching a 65in 4k OLED(LG)on a carefully prepared "loop" of stationary 4k images....I'd love to see some action shots where rapid motion is involved to see how much they have improved the picture..

Another problem with 3D is you need a very large screen size..one of my TVs is 65inch that I've watched 3D on and it's not big enough to really take advantage of 3D...even with the compression algorithms that are being used it's still not viable for me with my internet service..the internet infrastructure in the US is poor(at best)compared to other countries..Directv will probably be one of the sources for 4k in the US...they can do more than cable systems...but the cost vs the number of subscribers will probably be like 3D was for them...they had a dedicated channel for 3D and didn't get the subscribers they needed...it's ironic that a disc based medium(4k blu ray) might be the savior for an advanced technology...but I suspect the unavailabililty of "real" 4k content will continue to hurt the technology...

True, true and true, Clint. I have two plasmas and a Meridian modified JVC 2K non~3D projector and I personally don't watch 3D (as you stated, it MUST be experienced on a VERY large screen) but I have a very large collection of 3D movies (which all come with a 2D BD~V, as well) which I purrchased quite cheaply....just in case!

As with all 'emerging' technologies, I don't anticipate every Tom, Dick and Harry is anxious to upgrade their current 2K flatscreens in deference to TRUE 4K ones and like, you, I am anxiously anticipating OLED as the next big thing (is it Samsung or LG that are introducing OLED screens into their mobile phones).

As far as NHK's 8K TVs.........Overkill plus, IMHO. For movie theaters it might be plausible on a gigundus screen but for the average Joe........yeah, right?

Bandwidth: that IS the issue with 4K. Not enough in the states and barely capable of satisfying 'current' technologies. And very unlikely to do so in the near future.

The real question: when are we getting 4K/8K Music? It seems a LOT of companies are still engaged in providing us with LOSSY DVD~V DTS and DD in an age when 24/32 bit and DSD 256 are available for downloads.

Is it me, or has there always been that disconnect between the studios which run the video industry and the music business?

True, true and true, Clint. I have two plasmas and a Meridian modified JVC 2K non~3D projector and I personally don't watch 3D (as you stated, it MUST be experienced on a VERY large screen) but I have a very large collection of 3D movies (which all come with a 2D BD~V, as well) which I purrchased quite cheaply....just in case!

As with all 'emerging' technologies, I don't anticipate every Tom, Dick and Harry is anxious to upgrade their current 2K flatscreens in deference to TRUE 4K ones and like, you, I am anxiously anticipating OLED as the next big thing (is it Samsung or LG that are introducing OLED screens into their mobile phones).

As far as NHK's 8K TVs.........Overkill plus, IMHO. For movie theaters it might be plausible on a gigundus screen but for the average Joe........yeah, right?

Bandwidth: that IS the issue with 4K. Not enough in the states and barely capable of satisfying 'current' technologies. And very unlikely to do so in the near future.

LG is leading the way for OLED...in fact if this were an auto race...they are lapping the field... they already have the 65in 4k OLED that I watched today and it's only 4 grand...which for a new tech is impressive...there is a 77 inch on the way but right now it's pricey..

The 77" 4K OLED is next on my shopping list. But I will probably wait until next year as pricing should drop. That new 65" LG is getting great praise.

This is typical for sony, to jump on the wagon long after the wheels have fallen off. Once upon a time sony was actually a leader in the audio arena.

Interesting that Sony killed SACD (they quit making players and new recordings) and is now bringing it back to life...

While having SACD / DVD-A capability is good for existing collections, I don't see a reason to buy this over an Oppo, or the refurb Denons that appear through various mail-order vendors.

What I don't understand is - why hasn't the music industry realized that Blu-ray itself is the successor to SACD and DVD-A? Blu-ray can carry 7.1 channels of lossless 96/24 PCM audio. Every A/V enthusiast already has some sort of Blu-ray player in their system, so they can be introduced to multichannel surround music via Blu-ray audio discs. Yet not many recordings previously sold as DVD-As or SACDs have been reissued as Blu-ray audio discs!

While having SACD / DVD-A capability is good for existing collections, I don't see a reason to buy this over an Oppo, or the refurb Denons that appear through various mail-order vendors.

I'm interested because the street price of the Sony will drop to $149-$199 sooner rather than later. I'm not a Sony fanboy, but my four year old, $92 BDP-S380 Blu-ray/SACD player has been rock solid.

Interesting that Sony killed SACD (they quit making players and new recordings) and is now bringing it back to life...

What I don't understand is - why hasn't the music industry realized that Blu-ray itself is the successor to SACD and DVD-A? Blu-ray can carry 7.1 channels of lossless 96/24 PCM audio. Every A/V enthusiast already has some sort of Blu-ray player in their system, so they can be introduced to multichannel surround music via Blu-ray audio discs. Yet not many recordings previously sold as DVD-As or SACDs have been reissued as Blu-ray audio discs!

it is.. very interesting.. I guess it makes sense for Sony to keep SACD going as not only do they make money from the SACD discs being pressed in their plant in Austria.. but they also make money from licensing things like their Quads and 5.1's to Audio Fidelity for release on, you guessed it, SACD..

it is.. very interesting.. I guess it makes sense for Sony to keep SACD going as not only do they make money from the SACD discs being pressed in their plant in Austria.. but they also make money from licensing things like their Quads and 5.1's to Audio Fidelity for release on, you guessed it, SACD..

but... Surely Sony makes money from blu-Ray licensing too as they created BD?

AF don't do BD (yet?) but maybe it's partly because SACD is seen my many as superior audiophile format to PCM etc (I'm not one of those BTW).

As for BD being 7.1 - we now have 9.1 and 11.1 formats coming to BD in the form of DTS:X, Auro 3D and Atmos encoded tracks.

but... Surely Sony makes money from blu-Ray licensing too as they created BD?

AF don't do BD (yet?) but maybe it's partly because SACD is seen my many as superior audiophile format to PCM etc (I'm not one of those BTW).

As for BD being 7.1 - we now have 9.1 and 11.1 formats coming to BD in the form of DTS:X, Auro 3D and Atmos encoded tracks.

I guess so..? There aren't too many Sony Music titles being licensed for release on BD (are there any?) whereas the sleeping giant may well have woken up and noticed that SACD is having a mild resurgence and thought ah well lets make hay while the sun shines!?

in huge majority the people not aware about existence of BD-A.
present situation pretty much repeat of 2000 and fate of DVD-A and SACD

I asked at my local HMV shop and they gave me a blank stare. When I explained it to the manager, she told me the "new"" thing was "vinyls" and they weren't gonna waste time on things no one knew about. I left without a purchase. Not to mention they have a Crosley portable record player with an 80's reissue of Rumours that looks like it was used for a Hot Wheels race track, wipe outs included. Even they thought it wasn't worth using for the current stock.

I asked at my local HMV shop and they gave me a blank stare.
same is here. few days ago went to local HMV to buy "4½".
the guy in store have no idea what i'm talking about.
finally, after checking in computer their inventories, he found one BD-A somewhere in the storage room in back of the store.
that's really sad.

Sony is set to release a "premium" Blu-ray player, the UHP-H1, that not only feature SACD playback, but also DVD-Audio. Check out that logo on the left....

0c5045e496cc1eb263b6792fcac57de8

Very interesting. I wonder if Sony will also be coming out with some DVD-Audio authoring software. There's a complete lack (almost) of DVD-A authoring software. Currently I know of only one program and it doesn't support MLP compression. The only other programs are found in the "dark corners" of the Internet. There's been quite a flurry, at times, of activity in other QQ forums about this - https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?41-DVD-A-amp-BluRay-Audio-Creation-Workshop is one but there are others.

I can't see moving off of my region free Oppo 103 - can play anything short of a piece of cardboard :)

Back