HiRez Poll Wilson, Steven - 4 1/2 [BDA]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Steven Wilson - 4 1/2

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Re: bonus track

Pretend it's a vinyl lp (you need to flip it)

I agree it's silly not just add it to the playlist of the album and be done with it.

I voted 9. Felt like voting 10 but need to save those 10's for masterworks like Hand.Cannot.Erase.

I would have loved to have the animated film for Routine included - I loved those films on the Drive Home Bluray disc. Well, hopefully we get that as a bonus on the upcoming concert Bluray.

Highlights:
1. My Book of Regrets - This track itself includes more earcandy than most full albums...
2. Happiness III - I love it when SW goes pop - what a chorus!!
3. Don't Hate Me - I love the jazzy instrumental section and the chorus from Ninet
4. The extras (minus the instrumental versions of vocal songs, never got that...) with the edited version of My Book of Regrets and the all SW version of Don't Hate Me.

All in all, this disc highlights the reason why I am addicted to the Bluray format. Compared to CD and Vinyl you get this extra:
1. A glorious lossless 5.1 track for the main program
2. A bonus Lazarus in lossless 2.0 and 5.1
3. A couple of additional versions of the songs in lossless 2.0
4. Best possible sound quality (oops, you vinyl lovers :couch)

Have to give this a ten. I stand steadfast on quality rather than quantity, and this delivers in spades, might I be bold enough to say that I may prefer this more than Hands.Cannot.Erase. I just did didn't I?
To me this mini album evokes a kindred spirit of Deadwing to some extent, could it be due to Lazarus?

Have to give this a ten. I stand steadfast on quality rather than quantity, and this delivers in spades, might I be bold enough to say that I may prefer this more than Hands.Cannot.Erase. I just did didn't I?
To me this mini album evokes a kindred spirit of Deadwing to some extent, could it be due to Lazarus?

A Bay Area QQer! Hey, I started a thread to see if Bay Area peeps are interested in a listening party some time soon. Check it out!

A great stopgap between albums not as strong as The Raven.. (His highpoint as a solo artist for me) but a very good album and as usual an exemplary mix.

I do like the remake of Lazurus but am not so keen on Don't hate Me.

A 9 from me he is cursed by being so good that I have to mark down something this good as I prefer the completeness of some of the others

AT LONG LAST!!!!
Steven has DISCOVERED MELODY!!!!!!!!

This is my FAVORITE SW solo release EVER!!!!!! (TRTRTS was a collaboration with Alan Parsons, sorry)...and HCE was a ...work based on a real life story...

I LOOOVE THIS!!!!!!
(on top of that I got a postcard signed by SW himself...nice touch!!)

Melodies, moods, delicate settings and none of his "style"...(dynamics lowering and all of a sudden..BOOOOM!!!)
¡Olé Steven...!!!!
Next time you come to Madrid , let me know and I'll take you on a "Cultural tour"

Lovely packaging (two attractive women in a bucolic setting) and I REALLY got my money's worth on this....

Keep it up...

10/10

AT LONG LAST!!!!

This is my FAVORITE SW solo release EVER!!!!!! (TRTRTS was a collaboration with Alan Parsons, sorry)...and HCE was a ...work based on a real life story...

I LOOOVE THIS!!!!!!

Melodies, moods, delicate settings and none of his "style"...(dynamics lowering and all of a sudden..BOOOOM!!!)
¡Olé Steven...!!!!
Next time you come to Madrid , let me know and I'll take you on a "Cultural tour"

Lovely packaging (two attractive women in a bucolic setting) and I REALLY got my money's worth on this....

Keep it up...

10/10

Yes! I agree....

AT LONG LAST!!!!

I LOOOVE THIS!!!!!!

¡Olé Steven...!!!!

Keep it up...

10/10

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.. :brew (though I thoroughly enjoy The Raven and HCE) but those quiet-BRICKWALL-quiet trademark moments have me reach for the fast-forward button every time now.. (at first I just lowered the volume)

Just went through my "sent" emails to get this (my first impressions):

"Well... that was intense! When the first track was playing, I was thinking: eh.. not bad.. but afterwards, holy ******** !! I love this one.. It has a sort of film noir mood to it.. wow :D And there's something special about listening to music you haven't heard before.. I like not knowing what's coming next."

Now that I got more mileage out of it, all I can say is "WOW, when is the next one coming!?"

If I gave The Raven a 9.75 rounded up to 10, I can't even debate going for any less.

10 it is!

...and those 2 gals...

That pretty much sums up how I feel about it too.. :brew (though I thoroughly enjoy The Raven and HCE) but those quiet-BRICKWALL-quiet trademark moments have me reach for the fast-forward button every time now.. (at first I just lowered the volume)

I just love those trademark moments. But they don't lead to great domestic harmony. I'm sure you know what I mean! I tend to play less dynamic music when others are in the house.

I just love those trademark moments. But they don't lead to great domestic harmony. I'm sure you know what I mean! I tend to play less dynamic music when others are in the house.

I bought my wife some wireless, noise canceling headphones. When ever I'm playing too loud and she wants to watch TV, she puts on her headphones.

Wonderful wife I have. :)

Oh, absolutely! :) The thing is, every once in a while I'm in the mood for those kind of drastic dynamic changes; usually I'll put on Insurgentes when that happens, and the opening track (which I adore) is built upon them.

But depending on our "mood", we always reach for this, or that, or that.. And as Steven's music is getting more and more melodic as years go by, I tend to play his latest albums when I'm more in a kind of pensive, contemplative, "all the love in the world" type of gear :music

His catalogue is so vast regarding "emotional states"; I think we are very lucky he still finds inspiration, and refreshing ways to somehow "reinvent" himself album after album :upthumb

I bought my wife some wireless, noise canceling headphones. When ever I'm playing too loud and she wants to watch TV, she puts on her headphones.

Wonderful wife I have. :)

Wait a minute... SHE puts on the headphones !? :mad:@: that's devotion!!

Are you sure she isn't playing the song Happiness In Slavery ? :ugham:

I just got this and am enjoying it. The music is good and the mix is surround mix is great. I voted an 8, almost a 9.

OMG, my Sony x800 absolutely shits the bed about 1/2 way through My Book of Regrets.
For both LPCM and DTS HD Master 5.1! Music freezes, art glitches, sporadic static from the speakers. (All other tracks fine).

OPPO BDP 103 made it through without error.
I have frequently sporadic static from my speakers with my Sony amp. but I have learned to live with. Sometimes I think it's because my I don't use my sub, but I don't see the connection here.

Back