Using Disc Treatments on SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marpow

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hi Ralphie, are you OK with all the hybrid SACD's, I respect your opinion. With BD's and DVD-A's, single layers, etc it seems like hybrid SACD's are like taking a step backwards? I get it, can play in any CD player, but what about us audiophiles? Tell me what you think.

Hi Ralphie, are you OK with all the hybrid SACD's, I respect your opinion. With BD's and DVD-A's, single layers, etc it seems like hybrid SACD's are like taking a step backwards? I get it, can play in any CD player, but what about us audiophiles? Tell me what you think.

Mark, at least on MY systen, everything sounds fantastic (RBCDs included). You KNOW my advice on disc treatments. MusicDirect recommended utilizing Ultra Bit Platinum plus (ain't cheap but HOLY SHIT....THE best) and now whether I play DVD~A, RBCDs, hybrid or single layered SACDs........they're all sounding REALLY fine.

My Meridian DVD~A player is a really state of the art machine (optimized to play only RBCDs and DVD~A stereo/5.1) so it's better than my Universal OPPO BDP~105 player but with my disc treatments.....the OPPO sounds and LOOKS fantastic (DVDs look like Blu rays).

Mapleshade Polish used in conjunction with Ultra Bit Platinum Plus will have you scratching your head. Why SHOULD THIS WORK......and work as WELL as it does! Seriously, Mark. It IS a night and day difference!

I have treated ALL the Audio Fidelity Quad SACDs (and even some of the stereos) and the before and after listening experience is BEYOND SUPERB. The Loggins and Messina Stereo SACD of Sittin' In is a freaking revelation from the first note to the last. Such a classic album.

Mark, at least on MY systen, everything sounds fantastic (RBCDs included). You KNOW my advice on disc treatments. MusicDirect recommended utilizing Ultra Bit Platinum plus (ain't cheap but HOLY SHIT....THE best) and now whether I play DVD~A, RBCDs, hybrid or single layered SACDs........they're all sounding REALLY fine.

My Meridian DVD~A player is a really state of the art machine (optimized to play only RBCDs and DVD~A stereo/5.1) so it's better than my Universal OPPO BDP~105 player but with my disc treatments.....the OPPO sounds and LOOKS fantastic (DVDs look like Blu rays).

Mapleshade Polish used in conjunction with Ultra Bit Platinum Plus will have you scratching your head. Why SHOULD THIS WORK......and work as WELL as it does! Seriously, Mark. It IS a night and day difference!

I have treated ALL the Audio Fidelity Quad SACDs (and even some of the stereos) and the before and after listening experience is BEYOND SUPERB. The Loggins and Messina Stereo SACD of Sittin' In is a freaking revelation from the first note to the last. Such a classic album.

I have no doubt. Do you have a holder to do the wiping, from center out, right? SHM's they still can break? I just sent you an email and i will buy tonight. Unless you show link here.

Keep this list in your "favorites" Mark. http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

Unless the artists/label orders a freshly minted 4.0 or 5.1 release (anniversary reissues, usually).....chances are pretty slim that they'll release those artists in multichannel.

It's Audio Fidelity's policy to ONLY release 'existing' quad/5.1 releases unless they change their tune (but it would involve a LOT more money to have them custom remixed for surround).

REALLY wish they'd re~release the botched Ten Years After "A Space In Time" 4.0 mix (reversed front/rear channels) as a hi res QUAD SACD!

Thanks Ralph, bookmarked. Good to Know. Don't forget to email me with the disc treatment links.

I don't understand why you keep saying that Hybrid SACDs are worse than Single-Layer SACDs. AFAIK, the SACD layers are not compromised at all by the addition of the CD layer.

I don't understand why you keep saying that Hybrid SACDs are worse than Single-Layer SACDs. AFAIK, the SACD layers are not compromised at all by the addition of the CD layer.
Yeah, I know you are right, just trying to test the waters and see if anybody agrees with the POSSIBILITY that I am right. I'll let it go.

One more question I have, let me know what you think RT. If ripping a hybrid, only the RBCD layer, do you think that rip will be better/worse/same compared to the exact same RBCD? It would be nice if it was a little better.

One more question I have, let me know what you think RT. If ripping a hybrid, only the RBCD layer, do you think that rip will be better/worse/same compared to the exact same RBCD? It would be nice if it was a little better.

It would depend, Mark, on who's doing the remastering: MoFi, AP and AF usually go to great lengths to ensure that even the RBCD layer shines and is usually struck from the original analogue master tapes. As far as other releasing hybrid SACD companies, WHO KNOWS where the RBCD layer was struck from....but sometimes even they get it right (and avoid the loudness war BS).

You need to be careful when using disc treatments on SACD discs.
Some SACD releases have a Red Warning sticker on the back advising against the use of treatments.

You need to be careful when using disc treatments on SACD discs.
Some SACD releases have a Red Warning sticker on the back advising against the use of treatments.

Brian, that would be the TELARC and CHESKY SACDs. I've been using Mapleshade Polish and Ultra Bit Platinum + for some time now on TELARC and CHESKY SACDs with NO ill effects, whatsoever. The difference in sound IS startling!

I do NOT suggest using ANY disc treatments {or, even wiping] on SHM~SACDs or SHM~CDs as they WILL crack. Also, I don't advise utilizing Mapleshade Polish on Blu ray audio/video discs as they do have a protective layer but since the new Ultra Bit Platinum+ formula is water soluble, I DO advise using that on BD~A/Vs.

The new Ultra Bit Platinum + formula can also be utilized on Vinyl discs, as well. http://www.ultrabitplatinum.com/products/

Further reading: http://www.ultrabitplatinum.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=6

Either you have a financial stake in this product or you've been drinking the kool aid. I also heard using a green magic marker on the edge of a CD will make it sound better.

Either you have a financial stake in this product or you've been drinking the kool aid. I also heard using a green magic marker on the edge of a CD will make it sound better.

I bought a used copy of the MFSL CD of Steely Dan's "Aja" with all this green felt tip pen gunk round the edges of the disc.

Still prefer the old regular CD from 1985, which is free from green magic marker graffiti :eek:

I remember treating and not treating the same Moody Blues disc, I had 2 copies, and verifying I could tell the difference between a treated and an untreated disc, I even focused one one song, and then I used the loo and when I came back I swore I was listening to the treated disc and only when I ejected the disc from the player did I realize I was listening to the untreated disc, I guess it was because of the release of internal pressure. So from then on I haven't treated any disc.

I just ordered the snake oil because I love drinking Koolaid. I love taking risks, and I don't mind making mistakes with my hobby. That said, the green edges and playing over and over an SACD to get it to sound better, does not work for me. I am happy to find out if something does or doesn't work. I am also happy that most of my hobby upgrades have been an improvement. I certainly am in no position/status to tell anybody what to do.
I'll answer back after I get product and give an honest opinion that I hope is more than placebo.

It's a fact that disc treatments boost fidelity by taking all the 1's and 0's and multiplying them times 1. Listen closely. [emoji6]

I put a thin layer of lard on all my CDs - it helps the bits slip down the leads into the speakers more easily.

I send the digital output into Libre Office and convert the ones and zeros from Times Roman to Ariel. It makes them easier to read, and there's no serifs to get hooked on the entrance to the DAC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back