Using Disc Treatments on SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used copy of the MFSL CD of Steely Dan's "Aja" with all this green felt tip pen gunk round the edges of the disc.

Still prefer the old regular CD from 1985, which is free from green magic marker graffiti :eek:

I remember this 'treatment', all the positive reviews, with the bye line that it stopped laser reflections from the edge of the disc being reflected back into the disc and interfering with the reading of it. But, total internal reflection occurs on the inner surface of a boundary not the outer one where the expensive green gunk was applied so it couldn't stop it!

I received my snake-oil goop today, UltraBit Diamond-Plus Digital & Analog Enhancer, looking forward to giving it a try. Hope I'm not the fool, but wouldn't be the first time.

I received my snake-oil goop today, UltraBit Diamond-Plus Digital & Analog Enhancer, looking forward to giving it a try. Hope I'm not the fool, but wouldn't be the first time.

Relax Markie.......just apply it according to directions and listen with an open mind and OPEN EARS.

Apply it to the {1] playing side, [2] side of disc and [3] the label side. Two squirts should do it....I used the supplied cloth. Don't press too hard ....... just apply moderate pressure and make sure you do the entire disc then wipe dry.

Listening now to Audio Fidelity's stereo hybrid SACD Scorpions, Blackout. Awesome, I am getting pumped. This is my first hybrid sacd disc that I treated with my new snake oil, goop, recommended by the Four Earred Wonder and It is a blast man, really good. I have such an awesome machine, love it.

Listening now to Audio Fidelity's stereo hybrid SACD Scorpions, Blackout. Awesome, I am getting pumped. This is my first hybrid sacd disc that I treated with my new snake oil, goop, recommended by the Four Earred Wonder and It is a blast man, really good. I have such an awesome machine, love it.

Well if that disc sounds good to you...then the "snake oil" must work because I had that one and got rid of it because it was pretty bad...

Did you play it first, without the application? We are all curious about the a/b comparison. :)

Yes, I have done 3 discs today, all A/B. It is a very complicated project as there are different applications, etc. There is the main factor which is placebo, I spend $150.00 it sounds better, right, so I am dealing with taking out placebo and the the sonic difference with 24 bit maybe not as noticeable than with 16 bit. Listening now to the A/B of the BD-A HFPA Deep Purple Live In Japan, 24/96 DTS-HD Stereo and an absolute improvement most notable in bass and midrange. I am just a country boy who likes cutting edge stuff and likes to make my own decisions but so far so good. As I continue on this new little hobby experiment I will have to determine whether or not the time, not the cost, is worth it. I am just a southern rocker and not as knowledgeable as others and I type slow but this treated disc of Deep Purple is full rocking on at 96Khz and 78.5 decibels, Clear as a Philadelphia bell.

Well if that disc sounds good to you...then the "snake oil" must work because I had that one and got rid of it because it was pretty bad...

Clint, this snake oil http://www.ultrabitplatinum.com/products/ is MOST definitely a cut above ALL the rest. It's also water soluble so does not harm the discs in any way. Also can be utilized on vinyl. Of course, Mikrosmooth http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Mikrosmooth-CD-Polishing-Kit/productinfo/MIKRO-SMOOTH/ which Mark doesn't have, as yet, is remarkable for ALL 5" physical discs except for Blu Rays, SHM~SACDs and CD~R/DV~Rs. Apply that first and then Ultra Bit Platinum + and the uptick in quality is REMARKABLE.

I've done ALL the AF QUAD discs (Mikrosmooth + Ultra Bit Platinum +) and the before/after difference is pretty astounding.

And for BD~As, WOW! (ONLY use Ultra Bit Platinum +)

What Mark is hearing is NO placebo effect....trust me on that!

Sorry guys, but every single properly conducted & controlled test ever performed on this type of product has concluded that placebo effect is exactly what you are hearing.

-- Jim

"On THIS type of product" but NOT THIS PARTICULAR product(s). Sorry, Jim, but it works.....and unlike all modern day "miracle" drugs has NO side effects except better sounding 5" physical discs!

This endorsement from Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound is RIGHT ON THE MONEY http://ultrabitplatinum.com/shop/TAS_UBP.pdf

The product has since been upgraded to Platinum PLUS which SIGNIFICANTLY improves on the original formula.

"On THIS type of product" but NOT THIS PARTICULAR product(s). Sorry, Jim, but it works.....and unlike all modern day "miracle" drugs has NO side effects except better sounding 5" physical discs!

So now you're suggesting that this particular "goop" is somehow miraculously different from all the other "goop" that's come and gone over the years? Come on, man!

Look - I can't get caught up in yet another one of these, I got shit to do. Here's the deal:

1. Sighted A/B comparisons are completely invalid and useless for evaluating this type of product. This has been proven time and time again.
2. Regardless of '1' above, if it sounds better to you, that is perfectly fine.
3. You may not realize this, or you may not care about it, but: If you repeatedly express your personal opinions on any topic as if they are established facts (for example: "It sounds better" as opposed to "It sounds better to me," you're gonna get on people's nerves.

-- Jim

Ok Jim and Ralphie...it's time to cease and desist...both have your opinions...and that's fine...but you are beating a dead horse...and as far as "getting on people's nerves"...this back and forth will do it more than either assertion...it's time to just let it go...to be candid what someone hears is not objective...it's subjective...so there is no science to support either case...but more than that it's already a distraction...so in the best interest of all of us let's just stop promoting and refuting...if you want to promote it or refute it...use PM's to discuss your points...not in the general body of the forum..

So now you're suggesting that this particular "goop" is somehow miraculously different from all the other "goop" that's come and gone over the years? Come on, man!

Look - I can't get caught up in yet another one of these, I got shit to do. Here's the deal:

1. Sighted A/B comparisons are completely invalid and useless for evaluating this type of product. This has been proven time and time again.
2. Regardless of '1' above, if it sounds better to you, that is perfectly fine.
3. You may not realize this, or you may not care about it, but: If you repeatedly express your personal opinions on any topic as if they are established facts (for example: "It sounds better" as opposed to "It sounds better to me," you're gonna get on people's nerves.

-- Jim

Without meaning to sound disrespectful, Jim, the TRUE charlatans of the world are those who surmise something doesn't work without ACTUALLY trying it.

Rationalizing doesn't cut the mustard with me, Jim. I'm a hands on person.

I have an absolute state of the art sound system and on this and even on my lesser surround systems, the uptick in quality is UNMISTAKABLE...across the board (imaging, surround enhancement, tighter bass).

There are those who spend thousands on OOP Open Reels, SACDs, DVD~As......so this product will hardly break the bank .... in THAT context.

Also comes with a money back guarantee.

What is the 'science' behind the improvement in audio quality and can it be applied to my HiRez FLAC music collection? Should I apply the treatment and then reconvert all my discs?

What is the 'science' behind the improvement in audio quality and can it be applied to my HiRez FLAC music collection? Should I apply the treatment and then reconvert all my discs?

Although I don't purport to be a scientist, Homer, I have the Meridian SooLoos https://www.meridian-audio.com/meridian-sooloos/ and ALL my discs are treated before burning them to the SooLoos. DTS RBCDs* sound like MLP DVD~As......so, in that context if you are seriously contemplating treating your discs with Ultra Bit Platinum Plus before converting to FLAC, I would say GO FOR IT.

*treated with Mikrosmooth and Ultra Bit Platinum Plus

Why not rip the disc before and after application and do a null test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back