Looking for a part in Panasonic RS-845US 8-track cassette player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eero A

Hi All

I have a Panasonic RS-845US 8-track player, that is missing the playback head and some parts from the head lifting mechanism. Otherwise the player seems to be working.

I'd like to ask you RS845 or 858 owners please take off the cover of your player and take a photo of the insides of your recorder? I would like to see, what is missing in mine. 858 seems to have a pretty similar mechanism. The earlier 844 is different.

Philip van Matten has a photo in his blog, but the resolution isn't very good on this detail:
http://pvdm.xs4all.nl/blog/?p=460

I am looking for the blue or grey seesaw type lever that rocks between the white rotating part of the solenoid mechanism and the vertically moving head mechanism. I don't necessarily need a spare part, if it's possible that it could be reconstructed. I do have at least one spare stereo head for an 8-track.

Eero

Attachments

• RS845US_missing_parts.jpg
    RS845US_missing_parts.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 165
I just completed a restore of one.

lots and lots of point to point wiring.. :(

Circle the area you are interested in in the above image, and I will pull mine apart and image it.

Also, pull the schematic and let me know what also you want researched

Elvis

Hello Elvis

I was already wondering, if anyone has noticed my query... Thanks for reacting.

I have marked with a red line the place where the missing part should be in the picture "RS845US_missing_lever.jpg"

The two other photos show the missing part. The first "845 lever.jpg" is from the blog I mentioned in my first post. Please try to zoom the image larger. The grey plastic lever right behind the motor inside the red circle.

The third photo is a detail from a post in another forum: "848 lever.jpg". I circled the part with red and also the area where it connects to the playback head with a yellow ring.

I don't have the schematic. Then again, everything else seems to be in place and working, so I don't need the schematic right now. Just the head lifting mechanism and the head are missing. The head cables have been crudely cut with pliers.

845 lever.jpg
848 lever.jpg
RS845US_missing_lever.jpg

Eero

Eero A
do not thing I have forgotten your request. I will be in my shop tomorrow, and hope to image the part you request.

Hi. There is no hurry with this thing, the player has been waiting all these years, so why not a couple of days more? :)

But I know that many other people in this forum also have an 845 or 858. Maybe their players are hidden under such a pile of other gear, that it would be a huge job to dig it out. Removing the connection cables and repatching would also be boring, just for a couple of photos.

In these cellphone days it is hard to believe that people wouldn't have a camera.

Eero

Soooooo..... little by little I would possibly get on with the 8-track player project. Any progress with your photos?

Eero

I have a Panasonic quadraphonic player 4-chan amp that I would be up for stripping for parts for you. Do you think that the RE 8190 model 44 series has similar play head assembly? Mine is fully functional, low hours on head, but missing the belt, and I don't want to bother purchasing one, as Q8 is so last century.

Hi

I found a very coarse resolution photo from the web of the RE 8190 model 44 face. It just might be possible that it would have a similar mechanism. It seems to have those four green track indicator lamps. But I cannot be sure as I don't know the model. How about you? Could you try to open the lid and take a photo of the place that I have spotted in my previous posts?

Eero

Back