File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but if one has a router with enough RJ45(Ethernet) ports, why would one need a switch?
Isn't that component of the router performing the same function as the switch?
So the only reason to buy a switch is if you need the extra RJ45 connections into the network.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me, but if one has a router with enough RJ45(Ethernet) ports, why would one need a switch?
So the only reason to buy a switch is if you need the extra RJ45 connections into the network.

Hey Gene, your Netgear router is 1GBE so no need for a switch unless you need more Ethernet devices.

Generally, you are correct. But in vary rare circumstances, one might need a "managed switch" where you can control each port individually (e.g. bandwidth control/security/etc.). But for 99% of us, this isn't necessary. If your router has enough ports, you don't need a switch. And most of the consumer level switches are not managed.

It really depends on the physical arrangements. I have a PC and a NAS attached directly to the router but I have a server and two renderers in another room. As a result, I run one ethernet line from the router to a switch in the other room. Without the switch, I'd have to run 3 ethernet lines.

It really depends on the physical arrangements. I have a PC and a NAS attached directly to the router but I have a server and two renderers in another room. As a result, I run one ethernet line from the router to a switch in the other room. Without the switch, I'd have to run 3 ethernet lines.
Perfect application.

I'm using two switches:

My home office:

Router (with WiFi for front of house)
|
|
Switch1
|
PC(1)
NAS
Printer (ethernet)
PC(2)
Security Cameras (x 2)

Media Room:

(from Switch1)
|
|
Switch2
|
Media Player
Smart TV
Oppo 95
Cable STB
WiFi Access Point (for rear of house & yard)

My 1Gb Home Network

HOME NETWORK.jpg

I should have added that I went mad a few years ago and channelled into the walls, twin CAT-6 cable, and a combiner/distribution amp (AMS724T http://antiference.co.uk/product/isys7-irs-mains-powered-multiswitches/ also up in the loft) so Satellite, TV, DAB, & FM, 2xEthernet into every room, and I mean every room! The Internet Radio is in the Bathroom :yikes

Expensive, very, very messy, but well worth it in the long run!

Edit: NAS-2 is about to be added!

I should have added that I went mad a few years ago and channelled into the walls, twin CAT-6 cable, and a combiner/distribution amp (AMS724T http://antiference.co.uk/product/isys7-irs-mains-powered-multiswitches/ also up in the loft) so Satellite, TV, DAB, & FM, 2xEthernet into every room, and I mean every room! The Internet Radio is in the Bathroom :yikes

Expensive, very, very messy, but well worth it in the long run!

Edit: NAS-2 is about to be added!

Amen to running wires. Earlier this year, I got a small 2-story, 2-bedroom condo (only 1,000 square feet). While remodeling, I had them run 2 Cat-6 cables and one RG6 coax to every room (including the kitchen and hallways). Some rooms to both sides of the room. The home run location is one of the small closets in the bedroom (what is called "my office"). Damn expensive, but well worth it in the long run as you said. In the past, I had to build a wireless bridge. Wired is so much faster and reliable! Here is a picture of my closet:

network.jpg

Neat set-up. Half of mine is covered in spiders webs and screwed to the brickwork in the loft. Wired Ethernet is the only way IMHO, though it took me quite a while to wire it all up to the patch panel in the loft.

Amen to running wires. Earlier this year, I got a small 2-story, 2-bedroom condo (only 1,000 square feet). While remodeling, I had them run 2 Cat-6 cables and one RG6 coax to every room (including the kitchen and hallways). Some rooms to both sides of the room. The home run location is one of the small closets in the bedroom (what is called "my office"). Damn expensive, but well worth it in the long run as you said. In the past, I had to build a wireless bridge. Wired is so much faster and reliable! Here is a picture of my closet:

View attachment 30940

Looks great audioguy. I am sitting here waiting for AT&T for my upgrade. I have all my parts and pieces need a new part for the NUC arriving Sunday. I think I will have all going by next weekend. Then need to start ripping SACD, that will be another learned adventure.

Not finished but all works, just need some tweaks. I have one Ethernet coming out of AT&T router in kitchen cabinet, under house to switch in living room cabinet with gear. From the 1G switch I have the Bluesound Vault for stereo FLAC only and ripping CD’s, the goal is to have JRiver handle all, but not there yet. Another Ethernet from switch to Synology NAS, works perfect, very quiet. Another Ethernet from switch to Intel NUC. USB from NUC to McIntosh DAC, works great.
Little problems still to do:
Go under house and run the Ethernet from switch to NAS which is another cabinet about 6’ away.
Get the JRiver more dialed in and figure out buying music on my laptop and getting the new either ripped CD or DSD purchase into NAS and into JRiver on NUC via the file sharing.
Having problem with JRiver app it acknowledges IP address but I think I need to get the proper port acccess.
Disappointed with the NUC seems to be louder when on then I was expecting. I have connected to monitor and keyboard temporarily for set up. Not sure when I get to end result of using JRiver app only it will be quieter?

I thought I would take some time and let others know of my experience, probably redundant within this thread, but maybe helpful to others.
I think around 2 years ago I started paying attention to Brian Moura about downloading music and I knew that was going to be my next step, but I feared the set up as I lack skills needed for this, so I put it off until I met Brian in person and I knew I had to push through.
It is not easy and I couldn't have done it if not for a friend of mine. The easy part is reading this thread and buying the items needed for playback, there are many internal factors in set up that even tough I sat next to my friend, I couldn't repeat what he did. It has gone like this over 3 weeks, my own work and 3 visits from my friend who had never done this but very computer savvy.
Start:
AT&T installs new router.
Ethernet cable from router, under house to Netgear 5 port switch. Ethernet cable from switch to Synology NAS, Ethernet cable from switch to Intel NUC, USB from NUC to McIntosh D-150, 2XDSD stereo only (will upgrade in future)
That was the easy part.
First, put the NAS on the Network and load all my music from my PC to the NAS, took quite awhile. Used a software program called Splashtop to access and read the NUC from my PC, loaded JRiver Media Center on the NUC, lots of setup with JRiver, output, auto detect from the NAS for import, Windows 10 updates, etc, tons of little stuff. The NUC stays on all the time, hums a little bit now and then but I can't hear it when I am playing music. We found out there where a lot of little disconnects when using JRiver app so reconfigured the NAS to shut down midnight to 6am, otherwise on all the time.
The McIntosh music system AVR and the external DAC liked to be turned on before accessing JRiver either with the app or the NUC, that was a tiny learning curve.
Now I can use the JRiver app without turning on my PC, that is very cool as it reads the NUC that is always on. Turn on Music machine first and good to go. I do need to access the NUC via the PC Splashtop for ripped CD's as they go from one file share to the NAS, minor issue, I just do it when I am on PC. When I purchase downloads from HDTracks or Acoustic Sounds I use there downloader which I have set to go directly to the NAS and then whenever JRiver wakes up it imports automatically.
Now I can store and play all stereo FLAC and DFF files up to 2 X DSD. I am pretty happy. My SACD/DVD/BD collection and all my surround discs are still being played with the discs but that will soon change.
My new setup is as easy as can be, turn on McIntosh system one button and use either my phone or my IPad for playback. I much prefer the IPad over the IPhone for the JRiver app. The app itself has little issues but once I found out how to use the app efficiently it is not a problem.
In my opinion this is not an easy undertaking but well worth the time and money, I think I spent $1800.00, give or take. The NUC and NAS the bigger, than the switch and some cables. Every item within the chain hierarchy has there little quirks and needed adjustments. Glad I did it.

Now I can store and play all stereo FLAC and DFF files up to 2 X DSD. I am pretty happy. My SACD/DVD/BD collection and all my surround discs are still being played with the discs but that will soon change.
My new setup is as easy as can be, turn on McIntosh system one button and use either my phone or my IPad for playback. I much prefer the IPad over the IPhone for the JRiver app. The app itself has little issues but once I found out how to use the app efficiently it is not a problem.

In my opinion this is not an easy undertaking but well worth the time and money, I think I spent $1800.00, give or take. The NUC and NAS the bigger, than the switch and some cables. Every item within the chain hierarchy has there little quirks and needed adjustments. Glad I did it.

Congratulations. Sounds like you are all ready for more music in disc and file form.
Enjoy!

Tagscanner is your friend. Free and can convert file names to track titles etc. Can also tag multiple tracks at same time.

Homer,

Are we still utilizing the Tagscanner to rename Folders for the Kodi/Wetek Hub system? I thought there was a tool for this on your Music Media Helper Tools program, but I appear to be mistaken...

I also want to seperate the music by types, SACD's, Quad 8-Tracks, Quad Reels, DualDiscs, Blu-Ray, 24 bit, 16 bit, 5-7.1, Atmos, etc

Thanks Homer!

Back