File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I recently acquired a network server/NAS for my system. My eventual plan is to use JRiver Media Center to play and access files on my audio system. I also have a laptop with music files on it that I would like to move to the NAS and I also would like to begin ripping existing disc based recordings to the NAS. The PC audiophile aspect of this hobby is all very new to me. To this point, anything I wanted to listen to on anything other than a laptop would need to have been burned to disk and inserted into a disk player.

So as I start assembling all these files to these huge (for me) 4TB drives, is there any special folder hierarchy you might recommend I use? Like, is it best to keep the DVD-A ISO’s separate from the Stereo rips? Maybe a different folder for Blue Ray rips? How do you experienced computer audiophile types manage all this data?

I dunno really. I think everyone has a different way of filing things, and whatever seems logical to you is what you should do. I am sort of in the same boat as this is mostly all new to me too. ISO's, Flacs, etc. Some 2 channel, most multi-channel. Some are rips of CD's from back in the day.

I'm now at the tipping point regarding storage. My laptop was maxed out, so I purchased a 1TB external drive. Which, is nearly half full just after a few days of moving things around. So - I think NAS is next. I think. Obviously NAS generally has a higher capacity, so that's a plus. The other thing is the NAS unit would be on the network. I don't fully understand the concept of this or how that is good. So - if I were outside and had another laptop that had Foobar, does this mean I could access that NAS music and play remotely? I assume yes....if not, then I'm not so sure I care so much about NAS other than for the basic storage.

Does anyone else have any great NAS stories that would tip me towards getting? Forget about backups, etc. I will assume those features may or may not get used by me. In the end, it's all about the extra things I could do....

My music files are stored in a DSD and a FLAC folder. In these folders it is saved as follows:
Artist
-Album
--Flac or dsd files

Nothing special. The only thing is that I have a folder per DVD-A, BD-A and SACD with subfolders for stereo, multichannel and extras.

Example
Flac
-Steven Wilson
--4 And A Half (BD-A)
---4 And A Half (BD-A 2.0)
---4 And A Half (BD-A 5.1)
---4 And A Half (BD-A Additional tracks)

Playback software looks at these files based on tags. IPeng for example only shows the albums itself, based on tags. In theory, you could dump all flac files in one big folder. Not too convinient to look at thought.

I'm now at the tipping point regarding storage. My laptop was maxed out, so I purchased a 1TB external drive. Which, is nearly half full just after a few days of moving things around. So - I think NAS is next. I think. Obviously NAS generally has a higher capacity, so that's a plus. The other thing is the NAS unit would be on the network. I don't fully understand the concept of this or how that is good. So - if I were outside and had another laptop that had Foobar, does this mean I could access that NAS music and play remotely? I assume yes....if not, then I'm not so sure I care so much about NAS other than for the basic storage.

Does anyone else have any great NAS stories that would tip me towards getting? Forget about backups, etc. I will assume those features may or may not get used by me. In the end, it's all about the extra things I could do....

GOS: I use a QNAP 451+ NAS. Check it out before you buy a NAS. In addition to the storage function, it is also equipped with a quad core CPU, integrated graphics and an HDMI port. So it doesn't require a separate music server. I play FLAC files using Kodi, directly from the NAS's HDMI port into my pre/pro with the video routed to my flat screen. I control it all from my listening position using a mini wireless keyboard. The 451+ actually comes with a tiny wireless remote that can be used to control Kodi as well, but I prefer a full keyboard.

As far as the NAS accessibility question, yes once all the information is on a network you can access it from any other device that is also connected to the network, either wired or wireless. So I often stream music from the NAS (located in my man cave) to a laptop in my master bedroom (I connect it to a small 2.1 audio speaker system). Though I haven't tried it yet, with this system, you can also set it up to allow it to stream your files to any device that has an internet connection, whether its on the network or not. So you could conceivably stream music (or video) to your workplace or smartphone.

It comes with the ability to load up dozens of apps supplied by Qnap. It does video surveillance, backup, and several different media players (Kodi is just the one I use). And one last thing, the NAS runs under Linux, of which I am completely ignorant, but I never even see a Linux interface. Still if you want to run windows applications, it also has a virtualization mode as well, allowing you to run a full copy of windows and any windows app you desire.

I've muddled through the file hierarchy issue since I started this thread. I convert everything to FLAC, and keep the stereo rips separate from the MC rips.

I use two basic path styles:

root/multimedia/stereo/FLAC/artist/album

root/multimedia/multichannel/FLAC/artist/album

When I name the album folders, I add info in parenthesis giving the number of channels and the source format:

A Night at the Opera (5.1 DVDA)
A Night at the Opera (2.0 DVDA)
A Night at the Opera (2.0 CD)

The first title would be in the main Multichannel directory, in the "Queen" artist folder. The second two would be in the main Stereo directory, in the (different) Queen artist folder. When I tag the FLAC files I use the exact same names.

All this has a purpose when I select music in my media player. When using my surround system, I set the media player to load both the MC and Stereo directories into its library. So with the example above, I will see three versions of ANATO and can choose which version to play (I also look for alternate album artwork when tagging to visually differentiate the different versions in the media player). If you don't do something like this the media player will lump all the versions together as a single album and list each song three times. It will also play each song three times, each time in a different audio format. Not good.

When using one of my stereo systems elsewhere in the house, I set the media player to load only the Stereo directory into its library. So with the example above, I will see only two versions of ANATO and can choose which version to play.

One last thing. For SACD's I convert to FLAC but also save the complete ISO file to a separate directory called SACD ISOs. This is just in case I ever switch to a media player that can play ISOs directly. As of now, Kodi can't.

So far its working great.

GOS: I use a QNAP 451+ NAS. Check it out before you buy a NAS. In addition to the storage function, it is also equipped with a quad core CPU, integrated graphics and an HDMI port. So it doesn't require a separate music server. I play FLAC files using Kodi, directly from the NAS's HDMI port into my pre/pro with the video routed to my flat screen. I control it all from my listening position using a mini wireless keyboard. The 451+ actually comes with a tiny wireless remote that can be used to control Kodi as well, but I prefer a full keyboard.

As far as the NAS accessibility question, yes once all the information is on a network you can access it from any other device that is also connected to the network, either wired or wireless. So I often stream music from the NAS (located in my man cave) to a laptop in my master bedroom (I connect it to a small 2.1 audio speaker system). Though I haven't tried it yet, with this system, you can also set it up to allow it to stream your files to any device that has an internet connection, whether its on the network or not. So you could conceivably stream music (or video) to your workplace or smartphone.

It comes with the ability to load up dozens of apps supplied by Qnap. It does video surveillance, backup, and several different media players (Kodi is just the one I use). And one last thing, the NAS runs under Linux, of which I am completely ignorant, but I never even see a Linux interface. Still if you want to run windows applications, it also has a virtualization mode as well, allowing you to run a full copy of windows and any windows app you desire.

You mention is has its own CPU and that it doesn't require a music server - yet you then say you play the files with Kodi. Isn't Kodi a music server? Or maybe I am not understanding the terminology... :) I currently use Foobar2000 as my "music server", I think. I love the interface.

You mention is has its own CPU and that it doesn't require a music server - yet you then say you play the files with Kodi. Isn't Kodi a music server? Or maybe I am not understanding the terminology... :) I currently use Foobar2000 as my "music server", I think. I love the interface.

He means that his Qnap is more than a NAS, in the strict sense of Network Attached Storage: it has enough power and connection to run both as a server for other machines and as a Kodi client by itself, outputting audio thru the internal HDMI port.

Foobar 2000 can be used as a server and a client, but need in both cases some hardware to install it, and performances are depending by the hw in which is running.

He means that his Qnap is more than a NAS, in the strict sense of Network Attached Storage: it has enough power and connection to run both as a server for other machines and as a Kodi client by itself, outputting audio thru the internal HDMI port.

Foobar 2000 can be used as a server and a client, but need in both cases some hardware to install it, and performances are depending by the hw in which is running.

Not sure if I understand Qnap, or what that means....I've been sort of looking at this particular NAS. It's affordable (less than $200) and I might think it's a good starting point. What you think?

nas.JPG

Not sure if I understand Qnap, or what that means....I've been sort of looking at this particular NAS. It's affordable (less than $200) and I might think it's a good starting point. What you think?

View attachment 27806

QNAP is just the brand name, like Synology is.

The above model looks fine for your purpose. Consider though that the two hard drives you are going to buy to put in it are likely going to cost as much and probably more than the NAS itself. They don't typically come with drives. And you are likely going to want to maintain one of the two drives to make a mirror backup of the other. So you really will only have one drive worth of storage. Going with something like 2 or 3TB drives will hold a lot of files... for now. My QNAP is a 4 bay unit with two 4TB drives installed. I've already filled one of them about 75%, and like I said, the other is a mirror copy. When im ready I can install another two drives and get another 4TB of backed up storage space which I will probably not fill up in my lifetime. With a 2 bay unit I'd either have to replace the two 4TB drives with something larger, or go buy a new NAS.

So if I were you, unless you are positive you wont be running out of capacity, id be looking at the 4 bay version.

I think that pretty much sums it up. The bottom line is my Qnap needs nothing else to produce music in my system, where as the Synology you tagged will need another PC to run your media player.

The Qnap is not a perfect solution by any means. It works great using Kodi, but the processor power is limited. So it wont run J.River with DSP in MC because the processor runs out of steam.

For Foobar (which runs on windows) or J.River (which can run on any OS, but is pretty CPU intensive) I would tend to go with a standard 4 bay NAS and a separate PC.

I think that pretty much sums it up. The bottom line is my Qnap needs nothing else to produce music in my system, where as the Synology you tagged will need another PC to run your media player.

A Media Player will work with any NAS. You may not need a 'PC'.

LuvMyQuad: Are you using a remote control app for Kodi? If you have an IOS device (iPhone/iPad) check this out: LINK

A Media Player will work with any NAS. You may not need a 'PC'.

LuvMyQuad: Are you using a remote control app for Kodi? If you have an IOS device (iPhone/iPad) check this out: LINK

No smart phone here... just a laptop. Its most convenient for me to just use a Bluetooth keyboard running the Qnap directly.

And I know there are some hubs that will work instead of a PC, but is there a hub type option for GOS if he wants to continue to rock Foobar exclusively as his media player?

No smart phone here... just a laptop. Its most convenient for me to just use a Bluetooth keyboard running the Qnap directly.

And I know there are some hubs that will work instead of a PC, but is there a hub type option for GOS if he wants to continue to rock Foobar exclusively as his media player?

I'm not sure what else Foobar runs on (apart from Windows) but an Intel i3 NUC with 4GB RAM and a small SSD drive will run Windows and Foobar. The hardware should be <$400.

Personally I would run Kodi on a NUC with Linux since that's all free. Windows needs a paid license.

So - here is what I have, and have little intention of changing (creature of habit you know).
Dedicated PC (laptop) that is the center piece for my music and obviously web surfing (QQ)
PC is hooked up to my "65 TV and all are routed to my Denon AVR.
Wireless keyboard allows me to sit in my chair and access all that my PC does.
I use Foobar2000 as a music player for my FLAC and ISO files. Currently, all music is on an external hard drive. Only 1.5 TB total.

So, I guess I'm thinking NAS just for the option of having much greater capacity. Again, I'm not 100% sure (other than capacity) what else the NAS gives me over my current portable hard drives I use. Essentially, everything is on my network as everything that has ethernet and or wireless goes to my router/modem.

I see another NAS on Amazon for $289. It's a 4-bay unit. Here are some specs below:

NAS 4-bay.JPG

So, I guess I'm thinking NAS just for the option of having much greater capacity. Again, I'm not 100% sure (other than capacity) what else the NAS gives me over my current portable hard drives I use. Essentially, everything is on my network as everything that has ethernet and or wireless goes to my router/modem.

I see another NAS on Amazon for $289. It's a 4-bay unit. Here are some specs below:

View attachment 27810

Synology makes excellent NAS systems. I'm using one here with JRiver Media Center and a Merging Technologies Multichannel DAC. Excellent.

I have a NOOB question. If I get a NAS, will it be hooked up to my PC or will it be hooked up to my router? Again, I will likely want to play my music through Foobar. Or can it be either way?

I have a NOOB question. If I get a NAS, will it be hooked up to my PC or will it be hooked up to my router? Again, I will likely want to play my music through Foobar. Or can it be either way?

It connects to the router with an Ethernet cable. Your PC also has to be on the network, preferably also connected with an Ethernet cable. You can use a wireless connection with the PC, but it may affect performance. Remember the PC/media player is streaming data from the router, then passing it to the AVR. A wireless connection is slower than a wired connection.

Also, the NAS is not a silent device. You don't have to see it to access it. Its better off somewhere else besides your listening room.

So - here is what I have, and have little intention of changing (creature of habit you know).
Dedicated PC (laptop) that is the center piece for my music and obviously web surfing (QQ)
PC is hooked up to my "65 TV and all are routed to my Denon AVR.
Wireless keyboard allows me to sit in my chair and access all that my PC does.
I use Foobar2000 as a music player for my FLAC and ISO files. Currently, all music is on an external hard drive. Only 1.5 TB total.

View attachment 27810

I think the NAS you tagged would work fine.

I think in your situation and how you plan to run things, all you will be getting is additional capacity, but that additional capacity can be backed up to prevent data loss in the event the primary drive in the NAS crashes. To have a real backup, you also need to back up the primary drive with an external unit that can be stored off premises.

It connects to the router with an Ethernet cable. Your PC also has to be on the network, preferably also connected with an Ethernet cable. You can use a wireless connection with the PC, but it may affect performance. Remember the PC/media player is streaming data from the router, then passing it to the AVR. A wireless connection is slower than a wired connection.

Also, the NAS is not a silent device. You don't have to see it to access it. Its better off somewhere else besides your listening room.

OK, that is clear. Thanks. Luckily, I have a closet on the backside of my wall where my equipment sits. I can run a cable through the already existing hole and place the NAS there. Should work just fine.

On the landing next to the internet router I've got a Zyxel 1TB twin HDD NAS, which is noisy, and I just bought a twin HDD Synology DS216j and two 4TB Western Digital Red HDDs which will go next to it use with surround FLACs, doesn't seem as noisy. They've wired into my home 1Gbit Ethernet network - in a fit of madness a few years ago I channelled out the walls and put in twin Gigabit Ethernet, plus twin Satellite, DAB/FM, and Digital TV cabling into every room! I'm using the Panasonic Blu-ray player as a 5.1 streamer from the NAS to the Amp.

Back