File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What layout are you using for Foobar? There should be a way to see the original path of the audio file.

In the attachment the path is in the right upper panel under Location

foobar screen cap.jpg

What layout are you using for Foobar? There should be a way to see the original path of the audio file.

In the attachment the path is in the right upper panel under Location

View attachment 28357

Oh, gosh...I dunno. And let me say this. I've got myself in deep trouble with Foobar trying to move things around. I don't think I want to do that again. Had to do a fresh install to clean it up.

Anyway - I said screw it and deleted all the music files and I'm starting over again. I know, I know...I should have waited. I get too pissed and get a little trigger happy.

Another odd thing I noticed before I deleted everything. Not all of the individual songs transferred over to the NAS. About 1/4 had the folder, but no songs. EVen though, last night, it got to the end and said 100%. :mad:@: Can't imagine how that could happen...so just as well I start over. I'm doing it in smaller chunks now. Dragging all the folders over that start with "A" and going from there. ugh

So, this time, by doing in smaller chunks - I verified that each artist/album/song copied over completely. I really can't imagine why it failed me when I drug over the whole music file yesterday.

Another odd thing I noticed before I deleted everything. Not all of the individual songs transferred over to the NAS. About 1/4 had the folder, but no songs. EVen though, last night, it got to the end and said 100%. :mad:@: Can't imagine how that could happen...so just as well I start over. I'm doing it in smaller chunks now. Dragging all the folders over that start with "A" and going from there. ugh

Ok. I've said this before but it bears repeating. If you have two versions of the same album you have to tag the album titles differently. For example if you ripped the stereo and multichannel versions of "A Night at the Opera", you need to tag the stereo version as "A Night at the Opera (2.0)" and tag the multichannel version as "A Night at the Opera (5.1)". Else the music player database lumps them all together as "A Night at the Opera" and will list each song twice, in order. One is the stereo, one is the 5.1.

This will also happen with SACD ISO files, though I cant say how to avoid that because I don't play ISO's directly. I convert them to FLAC files and then tag as described above.

This will also happen if you include both your original 1TB drive and the NAS as separate music sources in your media player. The NAS is a duplicate of the drive and they share the same album titles, listing 2 copies of each song.

Also, at least in Kodi, you would need to clean the database to get rid of the dead paths of any files you removed that are still in the database. I'm sure Foobar has a similar option.

Ok. I've said this before but it bears repeating. If you have two versions of the same album you have to tag the album titles differently. For example if you ripped the stereo and multichannel versions of "A Night at the Opera", you need to tag the stereo version as "A Night at the Opera (2.0)" and tag the multichannel version as "A Night at the Opera (5.1)". Else the music player database lumps them all together as "A Night at the Opera" and will list each song twice, in order. One is the stereo, one is the 5.1.

This will also happen with SACD ISO files, though I cant say how to avoid that because I don't play ISO's directly. I convert them to FLAC files and then tag as described above.

This will also happen if you include both your original 1TB drive and the NAS as separate music sources in your media player. The NAS is a duplicate of the drive and they share the same album titles, listing 2 copies of each song.

Also, at least in Kodi, you would need to clean the database to get rid of the dead paths of any files you removed that are still in the database. I'm sure Foobar has a similar option.

Your comments are correct. But in my case, I have all my stuff tagged right. Additionally, the duplicates, were literally duplicates. Down to the exact size. I really can't explain it, but that's how it appeared. AGain, I killed it all and starting over. I guess before I get too far, I should pause things and open up Foobar and make sure it's not repeating what happened before....

Oops - you were responding to my empty folder comments. I even had folders that had only 1 album and still empty. I know I keep coming back with explanations, but it's true. Example, Alman Brothers...I only own 1 of their titles, and it was simply an empty folder

Your comments are correct. But in my case, I have all my stuff tagged right. Additionally, the duplicates, were literally duplicates. Down to the exact size. I really can't explain it, but that's how it appeared. AGain, I killed it all and starting over. I guess before I get too far, I should pause things and open up Foobar and make sure it's not repeating what happened before....

Oops - you were responding to my empty folder comments. I even had folders that had only 1 album and still empty. I know I keep coming back with explanations, but it's true. Example, Alman Brothers...I only own 1 of their titles, and it was simply an empty folder

Like I said, when you add the NAS as a music source in Foobar, you need to remove the 1 TB drive as a music source. Then clean the database if that function is available.

This all being said - I completely know I struggle with this stuff, and most likely I did something bizarrely wrong. Can't imagine what...but it's probably true. :yikes

Like I said, when you add the NAS as a music source in Foobar, you need to remove the 1 TB drive as a music source. Then clean the database if that function is available.

I did that too....first thing I did (and my wife watched me) is remove all the sources of music that were in there. Then, I clicked ADD, and located the NAS on the network. Oh well. :)

I know, but OK. I just remembered last night or yesterday...or whenever it was (and I posted in this thread about it), I was complaining about it taking so long to copy files. Somebody said it sounded like I was copying though the web/browser. I said, yes, I am. So, I killed that process as it was taking forever and then simply went to the drag and drop method from windows and it sped way up.

I assumed that it would simply overwrite files if they had transferred from my other session. Maybe it didn't overwrite them, but add to them. I didn't think that was possible..but is it?

I know, but OK. I just remembered last night or yesterday...or whenever it was (and I posted in this thread about it), I was complaining about it taking so long to copy files. Somebody said it sounded like I was copying though the web/browser. I said, yes, I am. So, I killed that process as it was taking forever and then simply went to the drag and drop method from windows and it sped way up.

I assumed that it would simply overwrite files if they had transferred from my other session. Maybe it didn't overwrite them, but add to them. I didn't think that was possible..but is it?

I thought it asked to overwrite... I have seen instances where copies were made though. I think windows adds a 1, 2, 3, etc to the folder name.

That is true and might be convenient for some. I prefer to keep them together and let JRMC automatically sort between the formats.

That is not a problem with SACD ISOs since the tracks are numbered sequentially, e.g., Tracks 1-7 are stereo and tracks 8-14 are multichannel, and sort that way.

JRMC, too.

This is way I asked GOS to view the path of the duplicate files. If your right click, then choose properties, then click on the properties tab, you will get the path to the file. See if their are different path's for each duplicate. This will help you narrow down why you are getting duplicates.

This is way I asked GOS to view the path of the duplicate files. If your right click, then choose properties, then click on the properties tab, you will get the path to the file. See if their are different path's for each duplicate. This will help you narrow down why you are getting duplicates.

haha - too late now. Last night I killed all the files and started over. I just now finished. It all looks correct this time. :mad:@:

Thanks man - but you missed the part about me wanting it easy. Maybe I should have said....

Since I'm totally a NOOB with all things computer, I need it to be really easy. :)

Command line....batch file? Way.....over my head there my good man. :yikes

It really isn't that difficult. Here's a sample command:
Code:
robocopy C:\Music E:\Music /S /mir /l /LOG:"C:\Users\GOS\Documents\Robocopylog.txt"

Breakdown:
robocopy - tell Windows to run robocopy
C:\Music - replace this with your music source (what you're copying FROM)
E:\Music - replace this with your backup destination (what you're copying TO)
/S - Copy non-empty subdirectories (sub-folders), do not copy empty ones
/mir - mirror, that is, if a file has been deleted from the source, delete it from the destination
/l - List only, don't actually copy or delete anything, just list what WOULD be copied or deleted without /l (for safety while you're experimenting)
LOG:"C:\Users\GOS\Documents\Robocopylog.txt" - write out a log to the specified file so you can read it later if you so desire (completely optional, but convenient)

This will back up everything currently on your primary drive to your backup drive. Any files that haven't been changed since the last backup won't be touched. Any files that were added or changed (no matter how minor the change) will have their changed versions backed up. Any files you deleted from the primary drive will be deleted from the backup drive (which is why you want to play it safe and use the /l parameter when you first try this).

As for a batch file, it's just a text file. Open Notepad, put the command in it, save it as "MusicBackup.bat" (or whatever you want to call it). Make sure that Windows didn't append ".txt" to the file name as it sometimes does. You want the file name to end with ".bat". The next time you want to run a back up, just go into Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called this week) and double-click on MusicBackup.bat. Just remember to not include the "/l" parameter once you have everything the way you want it because as long as "/l" is in there, nothing will actually copy or delete.

Back