File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my NAS will be a Christmas gift from my father in law, I opted to get a 2-bay Synology NAS. The 4-bay was too much money. So, I'm super excited. I went onto the Synology web page and they had a very nice "comparison" feature that showed all the info you would ever need and I could easily surmise that the DS216j basically has all the same features (minus fewer users...which is a non issue for me at home) and just 2 bays vs 4 bays. Also some of the RAID features of the 4-bay are more choices...but that's OK.

This will be a great way for me to try NAS and see how it works. If, in a few years I find a 2-bay isn't adequate, I will just upgrade at that time. Besides, I got a good package deal from B&H PHoto! Yes, better than Amazon. :)

So, I got the DS216j and (2) 4TB Red drives for a total of $447.99
Amazon would have been $478.09

I even get expedited shipping from B/H and will have in hand this Wednesday.
Pretty excited to try this out.

That's exactly what I bought about a month ago - except in the UK it was Around £434 so about US$520!

Since my NAS will be a Christmas gift from my father in law, I opted to get a 2-bay Synology NAS. The 4-bay was too much money. So, I'm super excited. I went onto the Synology web page and they had a very nice "comparison" feature that showed all the info you would ever need and I could easily surmise that the DS216j basically has all the same features (minus fewer users...which is a non issue for me at home) and just 2 bays vs 4 bays. Also some of the RAID features of the 4-bay are more choices...but that's OK.

This will be a great way for me to try NAS and see how it works. If, in a few years I find a 2-bay isn't adequate, I will just upgrade at that time. Besides, I got a good package deal from B&H PHoto! Yes, better than Amazon. :)

So, I got the DS216j and (2) 4TB Red drives for a total of $447.99
Amazon would have been $478.09

I even get expedited shipping from B/H and will have in hand this Wednesday.
Pretty excited to try this out.

Question...

So, my NAS will be on the network. Will there be any way to play music from the NAS directly through an iPhone or iPad? (WiFi)
Or, since the music is in FLAC format, just not possible?

The wife is asking....

:)

Question...

So, my NAS will be on the network. Will there be any way to play music from the NAS directly through an iPhone or iPad? (WiFi)
Or, since the music is in FLAC format, just not possible?

The wife is asking....

:)

Time to do your own research Gene: (Answer is Yes):

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/6.0/multimedia

EDIT: But of course only the stereo files on iPhone/iPads

So, all of my multi-channel FLAC music files are a dead end in terms of streaming to small devices? I thought maybe they were somehow collapsed down to stereo if you know what I mean....
You can do that with JRiver on a server and JRemote.

Everything is still on my Zyxel NAS, I've been busy so there is nothing stored on the Synology yet! There is a lot of download software for it/PC that I haven't even downloaded/explored, friends have said the sync'ing and back-up software is really good.

Wow, cool. :smokin I mean, cool that you got what I'm getting. Now I can ask you all sorts of questions when I get it. :mad:@:

Well, got the DS216j (NAS) installed and running. NOOB question...again...
Do I Just leave this thing turned on all the time? I mean, I assume it's OK to do so.....

Do I Just leave this thing turned on all the time? I mean, I assume it's OK to do so.....

Most are left on 24/7. Its ok and they are use low power consumption

Yes by all means leave it on. Mine seems like it takes 10 minutes or so to reboot. I never shut it down unless I have to. Have you copied and played files from it yet?

Yes by all means leave it on. Mine seems like it takes 10 minutes or so to reboot. I never shut it down unless I have to. Have you copied and played files from it yet?

No, not yet. Can I basically start moving files or is there something I need to do to the drives ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, not yet. Can I basically start moving files or is there something I need to do to the drives ?

The drives usually take a while to format. Once that is completed should be right to go. Then you'll need to set up access rights for your devices, usually by IP address which means setting you network devices to have fixed IP addresses.

The drives usually take a while to format. Once that is completed should be right to go. Then you'll need to set up access rights for your devices, usually by IP address which means setting you network devices to have fixed IP addresses.

Yeah, I went to Synology site and they had a nice web-based setup portal that easily walked me through a few things. All evening, all the lights on NAS were lit up green (even though I wasn't using it) and I noticed this morning, only the power light is on, the other lights are not illuminated. so, I guess it sort of goes into hibernation.....

Keep these comments coming, guys. I'm about 2-3 weeks behind you! I'm starting with learning to convert everything, and the file hierarchy discussion is the next step. Then I gotta figure out the whole server/backup aspect.

So thanks to all that are commenting - you guys are a great resource! And I'm starting to have a lot of fun...

Yeah, I went to Synology site and they had a nice web-based setup portal that easily walked me through a few things. All evening, all the lights on NAS were lit up green (even though I wasn't using it) and I noticed this morning, only the power light is on, the other lights are not illuminated. so, I guess it sort of goes into hibernation.....

That was probably YOUR Synology NAS you were viewing in your browser. You can manage your NAS fully through your browser. You should read their DSM manual (download a PDF version). DSM is their Diskstation Management Software which is really nice to use.

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Just getting around to transferring all my music files from my 1TB device, to my NAS. Since I like things easy :banana: all I knew to do was click upload, and then tell it to upload my MUSIC folder from my 1TB.

I assume this will take a LONG time? (for reference, it's been 30 minutes and only on 2%)

Once I get that done, I would think I then need to tell it to do backups. I might think that the backups only upload any changes to my 1TB device.

Am I thinking correctly? So, the big job and time is now, any future changes (a few new albums from day to day) will be a very quick backup.

:mad:@:

Once I get that done, I would think I then need to tell it to do backups. I might think that the backups only upload any changes to my 1TB device.

Depends on how you're backing up. Assuming you're on a reasonably modern version of W*nd*ws, check out ROBOCOPY. It's a command line app that's built in. It can be configured to do pretty much anything you want. And once you figure out what you want, you only have to struggle with the command line once...when you get it right, you can store the command in a batch file for easy re-use.

Depends on how you're backing up. Assuming you're on a reasonably modern version of W*nd*ws, check out ROBOCOPY. It's a command line app that's built in. It can be configured to do pretty much anything you want. And once you figure out what you want, you only have to struggle with the command line once...when you get it right, you can store the command in a batch file for easy re-use.

Thanks man - but you missed the part about me wanting it easy. Maybe I should have said....

Since I'm totally a NOOB with all things computer, I need it to be really easy. :)

Command line....batch file? Way.....over my head there my good man. :yikes

Back