File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, yeah, I know.

Just getting around to transferring all my music files from my 1TB device, to my NAS. Since I like things easy :banana: all I knew to do was click upload, and then tell it to upload my MUSIC folder from my 1TB.

I assume this will take a LONG time? (for reference, it's been 30 minutes and only on 2%)

Once I get that done, I would think I then need to tell it to do backups. I might think that the backups only upload any changes to my 1TB device.

Am I thinking correctly? So, the big job and time is now, any future changes (a few new albums from day to day) will be a very quick backup.

:mad:@:

30 minutes at 2% does seem like a long time, but that's probably normal for what you are doing. One Hi-Res album takes about 2.5 minutes to copy across drives with my system I just use windows to copy from one directory to another.

I'd hold off on the backup till you get a bit further on. Copy the contents of your 1TB drive and start using the NAS. The original drive is still there if you need it. The NAS will likely have a whole suite of software for you to perform backups with, like Homer said.

Did you map a drive for the NAS using windows? File copying is so much easier that way.

Fix the stuff you want to fix with the file structure as you copy it over.

30 minutes at 2% does seem like a long time, but that's probably normal for what you are doing. One Hi-Res album takes about 2.5 minutes to copy across drives with my system I just use windows to copy from one directory to another.

I'd hold off on the backup till you get a bit further on. Copy the contents of your 1TB drive and start using the NAS. The original drive is still there if you need it.

Fix the stuff you want to fix with the file structure as you copy it over.

Here is the data that my NAS is providing right now...

nas today.JPG

I have another really dumb question. Why is it that if I want to download a file from the net - it is truly considered downloading, but in the case of my NAS, it seems I can only upload files from my PC? Why not download? Download is way faster than upload.

I have another really dumb question. Why is it that if I want to download a file from the net - it is truly considered downloading, but in the case of my NAS, it seems I can only upload files from my PC? Why not download? Download is way faster than upload.

That's not the case. You can copy either way. Over the home network, the speed should be comparable no matter which way the data is going. The NAS needs to be setup on the network to be sharable and seen by the other clients on the network. Its in the windows networking options somewhere. Someone more versed can probably give you more detailed instructions. Just use the basic windows copy functions. When you talk about uploading and downloading is sounds like you are routing through the internet, which I bet you could do if you wanted, but why would you?

That's not the case. You can copy either way. Over the home network, the speed should be comparable no matter which way the data is going. The NAS needs to be setup on the network to be sharable and seen by the other clients on the network. Its in the windows networking options somewhere. Someone more versed can probably give you more detailed instructions. Just use the basic windows copy functions. When you talk about uploading and downloading is sounds like you are routing through the internet, which I bet you could do if you wanted, but why would you?

Well, I suppose I am routing though the internet. Heck if I know what I'm doing. :) Something tells me I could be doing this easier...and faster...

OK, I killed that process. Now I'm pretty sure I simply drug the music folder from my PC into the music folder of the NAS. Now it says about 40mb/second. That is way better...and already did 3% in less than 8 minutes.

OK, I killed that process. Now I'm pretty sure I simply drug the music folder from my PC into the music folder of the NAS. Now it says about 40mb/second. That is way better...and already did 3% in less than 8 minutes.

sounds better. You can also drag files the other way too.

So here is what my pea-brain can't figure out. My 1TB drive is full. So, I'm pulling all that music onto my NAS. From this point forward, I guess I should rip all my music directly to the NAS. If I don't, then I have to create new folders of the bands, that would essentially be duplicates of the folders on my NAS. (that is, if I deleted all the files on my 1TB drive) Am I making sense? I want this to be easy, not complicated. :mad:@:

So here is what my pea-brain can't figure out. My 1TB drive is full. So, I'm pulling all that music onto my NAS. From this point forward, I guess I should rip all my music directly to the NAS. If I don't, then I have to create new folders of the bands, that would essentially be duplicates of the folders on my NAS. (that is, if I deleted all the files on my 1TB drive) Am I making sense? I want this to be easy, not complicated. :mad:@:

Rip to your PC. Tag and rename as needed. Then copy the completed album folders to your NAS's artist folders. When done, delete them from your PC. They will go to your recycle bin. You need to empty that too. I always rip to a folder called "outgoing" that I created in the downloads directory. Then after tagging I copy them over and when done, I delete them from "outgoing".

Rip to your PC. Tag and rename as needed. Then copy the completed album folders to your NAS's artist folders. When done, delete them from your PC. They will go to your recycle bin. You need to empty that too. I always rip to a folder called "outgoing" that I created in the downloads directory. Then after tagging I copy them over and when done, I delete them from "outgoing".

OK - so now it's a 2 step process, instead of 1. Right? Ah, the joys...the joys. :)
Thanks for all your help, by the way. (y)

This is exactly what I do. If I rip or download anything I do it to my download folder on my pc. Once I'm completely done with it and it's ready to go, I just open my pc download folder on the left side of the screen and my external hard drive on the right side of the screen then just drag it over to the appropriate folder, then delete everything from the original processing on my pc. :upthumb

OK, it seems all my music folders are on my NAS now. Since my NAS is connected to the network (via my router) and not directly to my PC, how do I direct Foobar Library to my NAS? :mad:@:

It was simple before when my music was on my PC. The path was simple... C:\Users\Gene\Music

EDIT - nevermind. I figured it out. :)(y)

OK, I jumped that hurdle - now I have another issue. I toss these issues out here in hopes someone else has "been there, done that".
So, all my music files are in place. Only, once I pulled them all into Foobar library...I'd say about 20% of the folders have exact duplicates of each song. :yikes
Not duplicates of the album, just duplicates of each song. No rhyme or reason that I can tell. AC/DC folder looks OK, then the very next one, Aerosmith. Each song is listed twice. So, I have two number 1's, two number 2's, etc.

UGH. How could this happen?

Do you have two copies of the file in the same library? If you click on the fist song and then the duplicate it should indicate the path to the song. You should be able to narrow down where the duplicate came from.

Do you have two copies of the file in the same library? If you click on the fist song and then the duplicate it should indicate the path to the song. You should be able to narrow down where the duplicate came from.

Do you mean, click on it when I see it in Foobar? Because when I go to my NAS and look at all the music, there is only 1 copy. :mad:@:

Back