File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your PC will connect to your NAS via Ethernet cable (LAN). You will playback with your PC by it reading the files from the NAS. You can map a new drive (e.g. N: ) on your PC and it just sees the NAS as another drive (or multiple drives if you make more than one volume on your NAS).

I have multiple volumes. One for audio, one for Music Videos (concerts) and others for ISOs, movies etc.

Your PC will connect to your NAS via Ethernet cable (LAN). You will playback with your PC by it reading the files from the NAS. You can map a new drive (e.g. N: ) on your PC and it just sees the NAS as another drive (or multiple drives if you make more than one volume on your NAS).

I have multiple volumes. One for audio, one for Music Videos (concerts) and others for ISOs, movies etc.
OK, I get the part where the PC and the NAS work together. But how do the files get to the external DAC to play? Something has to connect to the DAC . When you say "You will playback with your PC by it reading the files from the NAS." do you mean the PC is USB to the DAC?
Sorry for little questions but glad I am willing to try something new.
The good news is I have pretty good experience using MP3tag and moving files, etc because I have been doing that for a few years with my Bluesound Vault, so once I get the NAS connected it should go pretty good.

OK, I get the part where the PC and the NAS work together. But how do the files get to the external DAC to play? Something has to connect to the DAC . When you say "You will playback with your PC by it reading the files from the NAS." do you mean the PC is USB to the DAC?
Sorry for little questions but glad I am willing to try something new.
The good news is I have pretty good experience using MP3tag and moving files, etc because I have been doing that for a few years with my Bluesound Vault, so once I get the NAS connected it should go pretty good.

I'll take the liberty of answering this. Yes the PC will connect to the DAC via USB exactly the same way you have been using it. The only difference with the NAS is you will be storing the files and playing them back from a different drive. When you get the NAS up and running you will want to map it as another logical drive on your PC (or more than one if you wish). It will show up as a network connected drive like M: (or whatever drive letter you decide to give it). From your PC, copy your FLAC/DSD files to M: (the NAS drive). Just an album or two is all you need to check it out. Then direct JRiver to use M: as a media source.

I'll take the liberty of answering this. Yes the PC will connect to the DAC via USB exactly the same way you have been using it. The only difference with the NAS is you will be storing the files and playing them back from a different drive. When you get the NAS up and running you will want to map it as another logical drive on your PC (or more than one if you wish). It will show up as a network connected drive like M: (or whatever drive letter you decide to give it). From your PC, copy your FLAC/DSD files to M: (the NAS drive). Just an album or two is all you need to check it out. Then direct JRiver to use M: as a media source.

Thank you so much Luv. I totally understand now. I still might get a dedicated PC and just leave it in the listening area. I have set up my JRiver and the JRiver remote app.
Well between the Oppo 105 for ripping a mountain of SACD's arriving this week and the NAS I have a lot to do.
I have to realize small nothingness to 5700 homes being lost to fire just 1.5 hour away from me.

Thank you so much Luv. I totally understand now. I still might get a dedicated PC and just leave it in the listening area. I have set up my JRiver and the JRiver remote app.
Well between the Oppo 105 for ripping a mountain of SACD's arriving this week and the NAS I have a lot to do.
I have to realize small nothingness to 5700 homes being lost to fire just 1.5 hour away from me.

Take a look at an Intel NUC. Only tiny and will run JRiver and has USB for DACs, Ethernet and run Windows. It's perfect to hideaway in your listening area. Also has HDMI. For connecting to an AVR or TV. After you get going with ripping and your NAS check it out.

I can't believe the devastation in Northern California. Very sad to see.

marpow, if I may offer some advice; Look at a site called Small Green Computer.
They make purpose-built low noise NUCs for audio that are about $100 more than an Intel NUC, say $550 vs. $650.
Lots of folks say that the improvement is not subtle.

FWIW, I'm going through the process of planning for a NAS-based audio system.
The number of options both hardware and software is mind numbing.

Take a look at an Intel NUC. Only tiny and will run JRiver and has USB for DACs, Ethernet and run Windows. It's perfect to hideaway in your listening area. Also has HDMI. For connecting to an AVR or TV. After you get going with ripping and your NAS check it out.

I can't believe the devastation in Northern California. Very sad to see.

That looks awesome but of course no screen. How do you navigate downloads JRiver, etc ?

marpow, if I may offer some advice; Look at a site called Small Green Computer.
They make purpose-built low noise NUCs for audio that are about $100 more than an Intel NUC, say $550 vs. $650.
Lots of folks say that the improvement is not subtle.

FWIW, I'm going through the process of planning for a NAS-based audio system.
The number of options both hardware and software is mind numbing.

I did browse this companies products at one point. I think the price differential is significantly more than you mentioned, and I think the "audiophile" power supply that is required to power their mini PCs are sold separately and can be pricy as well. IIRC players include "audiophile grade" USB modules that are said to be better sounding than the mass produced stuff, but I cant offer any first hand knowledge about that, whether it be real or hype. The processors in the lower priced players were low powered and fanless, which is good and bad. No fan noise, but limited processing power as well, and not at all comparable to the processing power of an i5 or i7 NUC at a similar price point. OS were Android based on some products. If you are thinking of using the JRiver DSP functions or anything similar, a low power processor will run out of steam pretty quickly. I've had experience with JRiver not being able play multichannel high res files with a low powered processor, but that may have been specific to my setup. I came away with the opinion that most of their products were mainly stereo centric, but that may only apply to their DAC products. But by all means, check it out. A lot of it has been reviewed on the Computer Audiophile site.

I did browse this companies products at one point. I think the price differential is significantly more than you mentioned, and I think the "audiophile" power supply that is required to power their mini PCs are sold separately and can be pricy as well. IIRC players include "audiophile grade" USB modules that are said to be better sounding than the mass produced stuff, but I cant offer any first hand knowledge about that, whether it be real or hype. The processors in the lower priced players were low powered and fanless, which is good and bad. No fan noise, but limited processing power as well, and not at all comparable to the processing power of an i5 or i7 NUC at a similar price point. OS were Android based on some products. If you are thinking of using the JRiver DSP functions or anything similar, a low power processor will run out of steam pretty quickly. I've had experience with JRiver not being able play multichannel high res files with a low powered processor, but that may have been specific to my setup. I came away with the opinion that most of their products were mainly stereo centric, but that may only apply to their DAC products. But by all means, check it out. A lot of it has been reviewed on the Computer Audiophile site.
I was going to pick and choose and re-edit what I quoted for reasons of space but I think you are "right on" throughout. I have tested quite a few of such PCs and, indeed, many wimp out when asked to play multichannel hi-rez and/or apply DSP. One recent device that comes close to achieving it all at a reasonable price is the Nimitra (https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-85-nimitra-exasound-baetis-roon).

Thanks all really good stuff and I am learning quickly, forums are hard to learn but as long as I can ask and you all are willing to help it is great. The more input the better.
Here is the comparisons of the Intel NUC for Home Entertainment.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...products.html?productIds=126138,126288,126139
I am choosing the NUC7i5BNHXF.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7-home-nuc7i5bnh.html
The cost is cheaper than a laptop, which I already have and as Homer says I can set up with this PC and than run JRiver via the app, sounds great and it will fit right on top of my McIntosh D150, (limited DAC).
As Kal wrote in his article I am convinced that the next piece for me is the Exasound 38 and I have talked extensively with George at Exasound whom is extremely nice but I would have to change quite a few things on my McIntosh system and my brain can only handle so much.

Just to say it again, at least I suppose I've said what I'm doing in this or other threads...

I have a dedicated Windows PC that sits on my shelf next to my audio equipment. Then,

* NAS
* PC
* Denon
* Oppo

- are all hardwired via ethernet to my Netgear router....so that they are all visible on the network.
I have a wireless keyboard that talks to my PC, so I can control surfing the web, or control ripping discs, or control my listening to my ripped music via Foobar (which is on my PC) Foobar locates all the music on my NAS and I'm good to go.

Oh yeah, and my PC is connected via HDMI to my AVR and TV so I view all this on my 65" TV which is mounted directly above said equipment.

Just to say it again, at least I suppose I've said what I'm doing in this or other threads...

I have a dedicated Windows PC that sits on my shelf next to my audio equipment. Then,

* NAS
* PC
* Denon
* Oppo

- are all hardwired via ethernet to my Netgear router....so that they are all visible on the network.
I have a wireless keyboard that talks to my PC, so I can control surfing the web, or control ripping discs, or control my listening to my ripped music via Foobar (which is on my PC) Foobar locates all the music on my NAS and I'm good to go.

Oh yeah, and my PC is connected via HDMI to my AVR and TV so I view all this on my 65" TV which is mounted directly above said equipment.

I was hoping you would pipe in on this thread because I am right behind you and I have read this entire thread a few times and you are a big part of this Gos.

I also have a Seagate storage device. I dunno, maybe I paid $75 for it from Newegg. It is also connected to my PC. So, when I rip a disc, I send the Flac files (songs) to my Seagate. While I'm ripping, I'm searching the web for proper album cover pictures and maybe also a picture of the band. Those images get dropped into my folder with songs. I then open my tagging program and direct it to my Seagate. I clean up song names as I see fit, save it.

Then - when I have it to my liking, I simply open a new window, drag the completed folder into my NAS and that's it. I then delete my files from the Seagate. That's my system. :)

Just posting so I can keep an eye on this thread, looking at ripping / NAS storage myself so hopefully some useful stuff for a novice will pop up :D

Yes, the sonicTransporter i5 is meant for 2-channel playback as is the equivalent Intel NUC.
The power supply for the ST i5 is not separate.
I guess I missed the part where marpow would be doing multi-channel but I should've figured that already.
That takes everything to another level and if you're going to use HQPlayer for upsampling it takes even more power.

I'm looking at the Nimitra as well after Kal's review from awhile back and from forum feedback.
I want to control content selection\playback from my iPad mini, not my laptop.

I was going to pick and choose and re-edit what I quoted for reasons of space but I think you are "right on" throughout. I have tested quite a few of such PCs and, indeed, many wimp out when asked to play multichannel hi-rez and/or apply DSP. One recent device that comes close to achieving it all at a reasonable price is the Nimitra (https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-85-nimitra-exasound-baetis-roon).

Thanks for the link Kal. Very well done as usual. But tell me, other than the Nimitra device being fanless/noiseless (which admittedly, is a major consideration for many of us), does it offer any significant advantages, performance or connectivity wise, over a well equipped Intel NUC or similar mini PC? I believe a fairly high performance NUC can offer even more functionality for less money than the Nimitra.

Back