File Higherarchy for NAS Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link Kal. Very well done as usual. But tell me, other than the Nimitra device being fanless/noiseless (which admittedly, is a major consideration for many of us), does it offer any significant advantages, performance or connectivity wise, over a well equipped Intel NUC or similar mini PC? I believe a fairly high performance NUC can offer even more functionality for less money than the Nimitra.

True. I'm using a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 Laptop with an Intel Core M CPU with JRiver Media Center 23 and a Synology NAS.
Works fine here.

True. I'm using a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3 Laptop with an Intel Core M CPU with JRiver Media Center 23 and a Synology NAS.
Works fine here.
Yes, one can use a generic if it is not noisy, if it is sufficiently powerful for the specific task and if the platform will support any accessory devices you wish to use. Also, you need to be able to know that before paying for it.

Thanks all really good stuff and I am learning quickly, forums are hard to learn but as long as I can ask and you all are willing to help it is great. The more input the better.
Here is the comparisons of the Intel NUC for Home Entertainment.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...products.html?productIds=126138,126288,126139
I am choosing the NUC7i5BNHXF.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7-home-nuc7i5bnh.html
The cost is cheaper than a laptop, which I already have and as Homer says I can set up with this PC and than run JRiver via the app, sounds great and it will fit right on top of my McIntosh D150, (limited DAC).
As Kal wrote in his article I am convinced that the next piece for me is the Exasound 38 and I have talked extensively with George at Exasound whom is extremely nice but I would have to change quite a few things on my McIntosh system and my brain can only handle so much.
I can recommend the e 38. Lovely piece of gear, most likely the best hardware pruchase I have done on this audio journey. And very easy to use. I have a diy audio pc, with HDD, connected via USB to the exa. Jriver on the pc and controlled by jremote on the phone.

The site command isn't picking this up because it is a new thread and probably not crawled by the Google web crawler engine yet. But it is a good test to see how long it takes for Google to index threads on QQ forums.

And there it is 2 days later:
Capture.JPG

I wanted to keep this thread alive. I now have all my pieces. The Intel Nuc, Synergy NAS with 4 hard drives, cables, etc. Now I need to pull all this together for my digital revolution. They are all quite small in size, that must be the beauty of it.

I wanted to keep this thread alive. I now have all my pieces. The Intel Nuc, Synergy NAS with 4 hard drives, cables, etc. Now I need to pull all this together for my digital revolution. They are all quite small in size, that must be the beauty of it.

Keep in mind that the thing likely to make the most noise is the NAS as it reads from the hard drives. The good thing is you don't have to keep it in the listening room. You can connect to any network connection in the house. For my setup, the NAS is not even on the same floor as the sound system. Its upstairs connected to the primary router where the cable company jacks the internet connection to.

Let us know how you are coming along.

Keep in mind that the thing likely to make the most noise is the NAS as it reads from the hard drives. The good thing is you don't have to keep it in the listening room. You can connect to any network connection in the house. For my setup, the NAS is not even on the same floor as the sound system. Its upstairs connected to the primary router where the cable company jacks the internet connection to.

Let us know how you are coming along.

The irony of all this I'm sitting in a power outage with a candle at 6:00am. Got to go to work but first get the garage door open. I'll keep you posted I have extra space in the kitchen where I have a designated cabinet for router , back up battery, etc and the beauty of all this stuff I am looking at is it is really small.

Getting started. The Synology NAS is up and running. Copying my music files from my PC at moment, says will take over a day. I have 18,604 16bit and 24bit FLAC files to copy.
Going to be interesting when I start ripping SACD, but that's the future.
The Intel NUC I bought was good but I bought a kit, oh well, needed to purchase today Patriot Signature Line 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 PC4-17000 2133MHz CL15 SODIMM Kit PSD416G2133SK and
Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW) .
Also hope we can USB stick to add the Windows 10 into the hard drive of the NUC.
Any way, I have a good tech that is helping me.
Looks like my designated router/DirecTV, etc cabinet in kitchen will hold everything.
Gonna call AT&T tomorrow to see if I can upgrade my modem/router, existing is about 6 years old.
My McIntosh D150 does not have an Ethernet port or wireless capability so looks like I will still have to keep my PC laptop connected via USB to use the JRiver player, albeit I would use with the JRiver remote of course.
I was hoping to not have to connect the PC to the DAC via USB.
It's happening with baby steps which is good.

Why not use the JRiver remote app with the NUC with USB DAC?

Right, I wasn't thinking. Ethernet to NAS, Ethernet to Nuc. Place Nuc next to DAC and USB from NUC to DAC. Use remote app for playback, got it.

I have been copying music files for 9 hours so far from PC to NAS and 5% complete. Does that seem about right ? 18,604 items.

Right, I wasn't thinking. Ethernet to NAS, Ethernet to Nuc. Place Nuc next to DAC and USB from NUC to DAC. Use remote app for playback, got it.

I have been copying music files for 9 hours so far from PC to NAS and 5% complete. Does that seem about right ? 18,604 items.

I don't honestly remember how long it took me. Minimally, it was several hours.

What speed are you getting? You should be able to get a little over 100MB/s on a 1GB Ethernet. If it 10MB/s you may have only a 100MB Ethernet.

Edit: You may need to buy a 1GBE switch and connect all your gear to that bypassing your old 100MB router. The router will connect to switch at 100 but everything else will be at 1GB. They're as cheap as chips.

If you are copying many files you can use the 'Media Manager' tool from Media Helper app I published here on QQ:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...(useful-tools-for-Music-Videos-amp-MCH-Audio)

It only copies new or changed folder/files (and shows if the folders/files are synced). Only proviso is you need have your audio music folder/files in this format: (root music folder)\ARTIST\ALBUM\media files

I use this to move files from my 'master' drive on my PC to my NAS where I actually play the files from my media player.

There's an option in Media Manager while scanning a Source to get the codec info. It also reads the media tags so you can easily see something missing or something that needs to change.

Also: If you don't want to use that and you are on Windows you can create a .bat file with a line like this which only copies new/changed files and folders:

robocopy "C:\Music" "N:\Music" *.* /e /s /FFT

i.e. robocopy - Source Destination - All Files - Include Empty folders - Include Sub-folders - Allow for minor time stamp differences if one drive is FAT

What speed are you getting? You should be able to get a little over 100MB/s on a 1GB Ethernet. If it 10MB/s you may have only a 100MB Ethernet.

Edit: You may need to buy a 1GBE switch and connect all your gear to that bypassing your old 100MB router. The router will connect to switch at 100 but everything else will be at 1GB. They're as cheap as chips.

I have AT&T 18 megabits now. AT&T coming out Friday to upgrade to 75 megabits. Fiber optic just installed a few weeks ago in the street, they where there a year doing entire neighborhood, I plan on asking the tech on Friday when that will be available, Iv'e heard Dec or Jan.

I have AT&T 18 megabits now. AT&T coming out Friday to upgrade to 75 megabits. Fiber optic just installed a few weeks ago in the street, they where there a year doing entire neighborhood, I plan on asking the tech on Friday when that will be available, Iv'e heard Dec or Jan.

I was asking about your internal LAN speed. Your internet speed doesn't affect your file transfer from PC to NAS. If you have an older router and no switch it may be only 100MB Ethernet.

I was asking about your internal LAN speed. Your internet speed doesn't affect your file transfer from PC to NAS. If you have an older router and no switch it may be only 100MB Ethernet.
Yes, I agree and that is also the problem. I believe when the AT&T tech comes out on Friday they will be bringing another, new, router. I certainly will be bending his/her ear when they arrive.
This will be added into the mix also: NETGEAR GS105NA 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch .
I wish I could be more fluid in these conversations but learning and doing at the same time makes me not that good at question and answer.

Good choice. Connect your router to the switch. Your NAS, NUC & PC to your switch and all communications between those 3 will be at 1GBE.

If you have your music on a USB drive hopefully it's USB 3. If it's USB 2.0 then that's never going to be more than around 20MB/s due to USB 2.0 design limitations.

Hey all - listening to Marpow and others talk makes me want to revist my setup.

First off - my wireless router is a Netgear R6250. I don't know much about the specs as they don't mean much to me. It is a few years old.

Connected to that via ethernet are:
1. Windows PC
2. NAS - Synology DS216j
3. Dish Hopper
4. Oppo

You talk about switches, but I don't fully understand their function. Should I be doing something slightly different to enhance performance? I do have pretty damn fast internet service...but I wonder if my router cannot handle all that is connected to it and it's dragging overall performance down...

I should say that in addition to the 4 devices connected directly to my Netgear, at any one time there may be 4-5 other devices connecting wirelessly. So, I am asking a lot of my router.

I would be very happy to upgrade my router if that would help. Any ideas about what I need would be awesome. I'd be willing to spend $250 on a current router if it gives me added performance and speed. :)

Barry - you've been very helpful to many.....I hope to hear from you as well.

Good choice. Connect your router to the switch. Your NAS, NUC & PC to your switch and all communications between those 3 will be at 1GBE.

The switch is the way to go.
Here I'm using the NADAC 8 which allows me to connect the NAS, DAC & Laptop to the Gig Switch with no USB at all.

Works great. :)

Back