Rob Reed - Sanctuary II April 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mam

great news

Rob Reed - Sanctuary II April 2016

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2016-02-08/rob-reed-eyes-april-sanctuary-ii-release

"One more day needed to nail Part two, then hopefully stereo mixes are done. I then send them to my good friend Peter Waite, who does a forensic examination of the mixes, to make sure Ive not missed any pops, crackles or weird noises.. this is essential before I get it mastered by Simon Heyworth.
I also did some edits of some of the sections today for promo. The part that Les Penning plays on, I thought would make a great single edit. So I extended it and its great.
So still not sure what to do with all of these. I may do a 3 disc set... the CD, a second CD with all of the extras, and the DVD with 5.1....
and of course the vinyl !! ...
Im hoping to be able to share some great news over the weekend regarding the album, including the artwork....exciting.
I've really worked hard to make every second count on this album, and been ruthless with any part that wasn't 100% working...."

I've been play testing "side 1" (the first 19 minute track) of this for Rob over the past couple of days.

Rob described it to me as his best surround mix yet and having heard it I have to agree with him: It's absolutely stunning! Reference quality surround. The music was also conceived specifically with surround in mind and it shows. You guys and gals are going to love this! :)

I've been play testing "side 1" (the first 19 minute track) of this for Rob over the past couple of days.

Rob described it to me as his best surround mix yet and having heard it I have to agree with him: It's absolutely stunning! Reference quality surround. The music was also conceived specifically with surround in mind and it shows. You guys and gals are going to love this! :)

*Sigh*

Gonna have to open my wallet, once again. ;)

I really hope this one is lossless.

Agreed, I would not mind when Rob Reeds leaves away all the video stuff on his releaes and go full res.

Yeah, I agree entirely. We have often had the same conversation but it always comes back to the argument, from Rob, that having a relatively small fan base means he has to cater for those that like the video too. It's a fair point from his perspective. Having said that I don't think I know anyone else who loves the surround format as much as Rob and there aren't many who can mix it as well as he can! I don't know what format it's going to be published in. It certainly deserves lossless, but I'll let you know as soon as I know.

Okay, I just had a reply back from Rob on this. It's going to be the same format as Sanctuary I which was (I just checked) 24/96 PCM 5.1 :banana: , 24/96 PCM Stereo and 24/96 DTS 5.1. A certain friend of ours and QQ regular is doing the authoring and afaik it will be a completely flat transfer, all of which makes me very excited!

He Neil, thanks for sharing some inside info. Rob is one of the best surround mixers out thereand it is great to have new stuff mixed by him. Perhaps it is an idea to offer a lossless flac as a companion to the physical release.

Edit:just saw the comments from Neil, so above points are covered :)

Last edited:
Okay, I just had a reply back from Rob on this. It's going to be the same format as Sanctuary I which was (I just checked) 24/96 PCM 5.1 :banana: , 24/96 PCM Stereo and 24/96 DTS 5.1. A certain friend of ours and QQ regular is doing the authoring and afaik it will be a completely flat transfer, all of which makes me very excited!

Perfect. I'll be buying this one for sure. I already have Kompendium and Sanctuary and they are excellent. Rob decided to go lossy with Kiama but I'm thrilled that he's come back to the lossless side.

Great post from Rob on his Facebook page about this:

https://www.facebook.com/RobReedOfficial/?fref=nf

I'll cut and paste here:

Just arrived home after an amazing day, getting Sanctuary II mastered. Travelled down to Devon and to Simon Heyworth's studio "Super Audio Mastering". Simon worked on the original Tubular Bells along side Tom Newman and Mike Oldfield, and since has been the "go to" person for mastering. His studio has one of the best sound systems Ive ever heard, so its always a treat to hear my music there. Today was not a let down!
First the stereo mixes sound amazing, and could hear everything so clear.... then the real treat the 5.1 mix.... What can I say...I couldn't stop smiling. Simon was also very complimentary about it all, this means a lot !
We discussed how the music really suits 5.1 mixing and transforms the album. It really is an immersive experience. Everything is so clear and coming at you from each of the 5 speakers, its like listening to a live performance.
So we both agreed that we need to let people hear the album like this, so the Real World 5.1 playback/ launch is very much a priority.
Fingers crossed we can make this happen, we may even get to play some of it live.
Artwork and some audio VERY SOON!, just finalising the release date.......Cant wait ! "

Having heard it in playtest I agree completely with everything Rob says about it and the idea of a 5.1 listening party/launch at Real World is very, very exciting indeed! :banana:

I had a listen to the stereo master for Sanctuary II this afternoon. It's a very, very impressive mix/master from Rob. If you liked the first one or are a fan of Mike Oldfield chances are you'll love this.

I haven't heard the final mastered 5.1 mix yet, but should get to do so over the next day or so. The version before mastering was, imho, reference quality so can't wait to hear the final version.

afaik the original Sanctuary was unmastered, but Rob spent a lot of time with Simon this time and has obviously decided to go with his mastering. I trust Rob's ears implicitly and am completely confident that he wouldn't let anything untoward happen to his second baby! ;)

Wonder if anyone can drop a word in Oldfield's ear about doing lossless flac downloads of all the 5.1 mixes he's worked so hard on then delivered in only 448 Kbps Dolby Digital or more recently lossy dts? :)

Wonder if anyone can drop a word in Oldfield's ear about doing lossless flac downloads of all the 5.1 mixes he's worked so hard on then delivered in only 448 Kbps Dolby Digital or more recently lossy dts? :)

I already have, and several others have done the same through Oldfield's personal Facebook group.
"Tubular Bells" was available as a lossless download in both 5.1 surround and stereo from Bowers & Wilkins, but it doesn't appear to be on the site anymore.

What's interesting is that I just discovered that Mike Oldfield owns the recording rights to all those albums that have just been reissued. He's licensing the albums to Universal to get the reissues done, so unlike a lot of other situations, if we could properly convince Mike Oldfield to get some more lossless surround sound downloads happening, it might actually happen.

Hope Springs Eternal! :)

I have too in the recent poll he took about the importance of the 5.1 mixes and chimed in about lossless options, but was thinking more of someone CLOSE to him or someone whose opinion in the industry he may put more weight behind dropping a word.

Odd that they took down the B&W Tubular Bells but still have "So" up as they were made available at the same time, I jumped on TB in 24/48 flacs within a week of it first surfacing and the difference between it and the 448 Kbps DD 5.1 is quite apparent IMO.

I knew Mike had made the decisions on what formats to release on back in Summer of 2013 when I received the following from UMe:

We are sorry you are not happy with the quality of the Mike Oldfield re-masters - the releases are approved by the artist and every effort is made to ensure the highest quality at prices that offer value for money for all fans.

Universal is always investing in new audio technology and have indeed released a range of Blu-Ray HD quality products in Europe and the UK. At the moment this is a limited range and there are no plans currently to release the Mike Oldfield catalogue on this format, but we value the feedback given by fans and will pass onto Mike's label for consideration

I think it was Caroline that had suggested it was UMe distributing and that the formats were decided by them, so after finding out this information I posed the question again on Mike's FB page with this additional information and Caroline booted me off the page. It was only when I found out about the 5.1 poll that I discovered my ban had been lifted. Don't know if they just cleared everything out, or had a time set, but was happy to be back on the page. I certainly wasn't rude about anything so it seemed odd to me.

Anyway, sorry, didn't want to thread hijack. I'll be picking up the Sanctuary release for sure. :)

I'm really surprised no one has posted this yet, so here it is:
ROBERT REED RELEASES SANCTUARY II on June 10th 2016

Tigermoth Records is pleased to announce the release of the follow up to the acclaimed 2014 “Sanctuary” album by multi-instrumentalist and producer Robert Reed (Magenta / Kompendium / Kiama / Chimpan A).
“Sanctuary II” is produced, mixed and engineered by Reed, who also plays most of the instruments himself, although for this new album he is joined by legendary drummer Simon Phillips (Toto / Mike Oldfield / The Who) while the original “Tubular Bells” production team of Tom Newman and Simon Heyworth have once again made important contributions to the sound of the album.
Robert comments about the spirit behind the two Sanctuary albums:

“There's a well-known interview with Mike Oldfield in which he said that he was so disappointed that nobody had carried the torch forward that he had lit with 'Tubular Bells' - creating long form music; completely hand-played with real instruments; music that relied on emotion and melody; music you could lose yourself in. What I am trying to do with the “Sanctuary” albums is to carry that ideal forward.”
Robert also discusses the participation of legendary drummer Simon Phillips on "Sanctuary II":
“I wanted to do something different on this new album. I had played all the instruments on the first, so this time I decided to use real drums. There was one person at the top of my wish list, and it was Simon Phillips. I grew up listening to Simon's playing on Mike Oldfield’s “Crises” album, and went to see him play with Mike at Wembley. I could never have thought, then, that one day he would play on my own album. I feel amazingly lucky. His trademark sound is perfect for the album. It really has taken 'Sanctuary II' to another level."
The album will be released as a 3 disc set. CD1 will contain the new album while CD2 includes unreleased tracks, remixes and Tom Newman's alternative mixes. The third disc will be a DVD containing the 5.1 mix of the album and various promotional and interview videos.
The album can be pre-ordered from www.robreedofficial.co.uk
A vinyl version will also be available from www.planegroovy.com
The album will be preceded by the release of a digital EP “Marimba” on April 18th taken from "Sanctuary II". The EP will contain 4 tracks and will be available from the Robert Reed band camp site.
https://robertreed.bandcamp.com

11243798_1051286974932660_6047280140491917745_n.jp  g

[video=youtube;-DhvEr-tRFE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DhvEr-tRFE[/video]

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Back