Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've actually never listened to this, but I'm extremely interested in the 5.1. I think this will make an excellent pairing with my Vincent Price/Roger Corman blu-ray collection.
i weren't a fan of APP music, quite too mellow but collected all i can find (mostly LP's) of his album as well as other artist where
AP was involved only because of outstanding mix/sound quality. from APP's album, "Tales..." my most fave but nevertheless if he
would re-issue all his catalogue in surround, i will buy all. just hope price would be reasonable.

i got this one from amazon pretty cheap, not remember exact price but something like $10-13 and actually was in doubt if it worth since it has DTS/DD streams only.
it doesn't makes any sense for such limitation as it was released by Immergent which was subsidiary of 5.1 Entertainment Group and they never had the problems to do DVD-As

$10-$13.. crikey, that's a valid price for a valid path! :D

..no idea why that DualDisc is so tricky to find cheap.. unless, could it be they all sold out back in the day and now people who want it are at the mercy of the aftermarket's zany OOP prices..!? :yikes

Oh no way, this is surround music we're talking about, not a viable format! Haha.. :eek:

Ok, I've seen enough! Good news on the AP surround front. Good Luck and Goodnight! :upthumb

The first 3 albums I ever bought on cd (in 1985/86) was: I Robot, The Turn of a Friendley Card and Ammonia Avenue. Was expensive then - could buy 3 vinyls for the same price as one cd.

Have all the AP albums on cd - most of the early realeses and all of the later remasters. Missed out on the surround mix of On Air (irritating - I really like this album). Would by every surround realese - if they come! Twice :)

I have Tales and I Robot on vinyl, I haven't listened to Tales in sometime.

Astounding news. Tales of Mystery Imagination was a mainstay on my turntable through the latter part of the '70s. That Arthur Brown scream still shivers me timbers.

I wonder if Parsons' involvement with Wilson's "The Raven who refused to sing" played into this project....

Thus quoth the Raven....nevermore!

This is not directed at you (at all) Bender.. just that is a slightly bittersweet comment at the end there, imho.. in that he "wishes it had become a more viable format", :D

I should have clarified. Viable is likely my word, not his. Alan Parsons he was commenting on how he would like to have more high resolution music online. He thought the future of music is all digital downloads. I think him for his surround work and told him how great it was. I said it would be wonderful to have his music, at least more of it, in surround. I even threw out the idea of perhaps testing a few songs via his website in 5.1 in seeing how they performed. He said he loved surround music he loved it from day one. However, he wished it had "caught on more"?, maybe that is the way he phrased it..

(I make it a point now to bring up 5.1 whenever I get a chance to talk with someone in the music world)

I spoke with Alan Parsons after a Beatles Ed Sullivan anniversary showing and he said .... it's just hard to have a high resolution surround download.

Except it's not hard.

What could be easier than .flac?

What would be his excuse for releasing lossy versions of his surround mixes on physical media which could have housed high resolution versions?

I'll be looking to buy the 5.1 of this. Having just listened to the vinyl again (loved it), I have two spots where it jumps on The Fall of the House of Usher track which is annoying and reminds me why I so looked forward to the arrival of CDs. I don't have Orson Welles version either. I do prefer I Robot though and have the HDAD disc too.

$10-$13.. crikey, that's a valid price for a valid path!

..no idea why that DualDisc is so tricky to find cheap..

a few years back when fall of DualDisc format has become too obvious, amazon and bunch of other vendors attempted
to get rid of inventories and prices was really very cheap. most of discs was like in range 5 to 10 bucks. Talking Head
brick for $70, Bjork brick for $50. that was good time to buy.

What would be his excuse for releasing lossy versions of his surround mixes on physical media which could have housed high resolution versions?

that's exactly my thought.
ok. acceptable with "On Air" which hit retail before a DVD-A was introduced but why in hell "Valid Path" DTS only,
if issuer label haden't objections against DVD-A and in fact at that time had flooded market with cheap DVD-A releases?

Except it's not hard.

What could be easier than .flac?

Hi dabl, :)

I am sure we will get lossless this time around. Alan chose to get on the 5.1 bandwagon a while ago(I saw the On Air tour and he was promoting the DTS format during the concert - telling us we would need to buy some new hardware.) At that time lossy DTS was the only real option. SACD & DVD-A required very expensive players and even my dog knew that was another VHS-Betamax debacle.

Personally I think flac should also be included on the disc with DTS-MA or PCM. Like you say it is a no-brainer.

All digital downloads? We now know that was a technical dream. The LP revolution is now officially out of control. People want something to show for their purchase price, clearly. Excuse me while I go downstairs to fondle my deluxe edition of Tull - Aqualung. I think I will stare at the vinyl grooves for a while...

It will be interesting to see how this new project will be mastered...Parsons has defended both sides of the loudness war...defending the record companies and also defending the audiophile community...I suspect the work on this new project will be depend on who is calling the shots...is he dependent on the record company...or does he have full reign over the project and doesn't have to buckle under the commercial appeal of loudness...looking at one specific title you can see the change in mastering over the years..HERE..now looking at his work over the years it's quite impressive but a lot it was done in the 80's and 90's HERE

Now you can hear Parsons on here..and others...

[video=youtube;qUcgg2vMX_s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUcgg2vMX_s[/video]

The LP revolution is now officially out of control. People want something to show for their purchase price, clearly.
i think all that vinyl trend slightly exaggerated. for sure there some trend but it would never be again leading format for distribution.
but DL lossless HiRez audio and utilization home network for playback pretty obvious on the rise.
people too much concerned about convenience and effortless forms of entertainment and in majority will never switch back to antic form.
i have lots of LPs but very rarely listened to... because of it

All digital downloads? We now know that was a technical dream. The LP revolution is now officially out of control. People want something to show for their purchase price, clearly. Excuse me while I go downstairs to fondle my deluxe edition of Tull - Aqualung. I think I will stare at the vinyl grooves for a while...

Mmmm, reminds to go and sniff the Shellac on those old 78rpms my father left me :ugham: (Not a lot else I can do with them, I can't play them as no suitable deck, and can't get rid of them as he loved them!)

I can't wait until I see him at the Arcarda Theater in St Charles IL. Maybe he will have the disc on sale in the lobby.

Well, i got the word this should happen, but do not expect this right away, details are still being worked out..... my guess is end of year is as soon as one could see this in market. that may be optimistic.

Well, i got the word this should happen, but do not expect this right away, details are still being worked out..... my guess is end of year is as soon as one could see this in market. that may be optimistic.

Given the phrasing in the article this isn't too surprising. Depends upon how long the lawyering, mixing, mastering and manufacturing take. Then distribution. We'll be lucky if it takes only 10 months since it sounded like the work was just starting.

I guess the one thing that might speed-up the process is that 2016 is the 40th anniversary of the original release. The funny thing is I can't find a release date other than it was in 1976. Wonder why?

Andy

Given the phrasing in the article this isn't too surprising. Depends upon how long the lawyering, mixing, mastering and manufacturing take. Then distribution. We'll be lucky if it takes only 10 months since it sounded like the work was just starting.

I guess the one thing that might speed-up the process is that 2016 is the 40th anniversary of the original release. The funny thing is I can't find a release date other than it was in 1976. Wonder why?

Andy

Well, at least, here is release date per Wiki, no exact day...but has the month/year.

today_6.jpg

Well, at least, here is release date per Wiki, no exact day...but has the month/year.

Thank you! So, the anniversary month is coming-up quickly. I guess (and it's just a guess) that if we don't see something by May (doubtful) then they have the rest of the year to still claim they hit the 40th anniversary.

Actually I'd rather wait as long as it takes than have a rushed product released.

Andy

Back