What's Your Latest Gear to Fail?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorO

300 Club - QQ All-Star
In the space of two weeks, my turntable motor died, the AC adapter on my old Monolithic phono preamp smoldered and nearly caught fire, and a driver went out in my headphones. Maybe bad things come in three's and that's the end of it!?

Since many of us in this area of audio have "legacy" equipment, I wondered if a grief thread would get frequent posts!

In the space of two weeks, my turntable motor died, the AC adapter on my old Monolithic phono preamp smoldered and nearly caught fire, and a driver went out in my headphones. Maybe bad things come in three's and that's the end of it!?

Since many of us in this area of audio have "legacy" equipment, I wondered if a grief thread would get frequent posts!

Misery does love company:(...sorry to hear about the breakdowns..

Yes, hopefully you're good after those 3 things. I hate to admit this, but I have 5 blu ray players in the house. Two are on computers, a Samsung in a pc tower, and I had a small aluminum chassied player/burner on my mac mini that just gave up the ghost. I just have a Bose companion 3 set up on the mac mini, but it's amazing how much I miss that BD player already. Hard to find good external players to work with iOS, but think I'll try again.

Yes, hopefully you're good after those 3 things. I hate to admit this, but I have 5 blu ray players in the house. Two are on computers, a Samsung in a pc tower, and I had a small aluminum chassied player/burner on my mac mini that just gave up the ghost. I just have a Bose companion 3 set up on the mac mini, but it's amazing how much I miss that BD player already. Hard to find good external players to work with iOS, but think I'll try again.

I honestly have pretty good luck with equipment NOT failing. Often, I wish it would fail, just so I HAVE to buy something new. Now there's an illness if I've ever heard one. But, I guess I would say that my 42" TV upstairs bedroom always starts up with a very dark, flickering screen. After a few minutes, it snaps out of it. So.....I suppose it will crash and burn with little notice one of these days. I think it's about 6 years old or so.....

After five years, and many, many, many hours of use, my Oppo BDP-83 is giving up on me. It does NOT want to read blu-ray discs; although, no issues with CDs, or DVDs. Constant unknown disc errors, and then spits the disc back out at me. After I mess around with it for a few minutes it will usually give in and read the disc. Oppo says it's the laser, and it's a $70.00 flat rate repair fee (which honestly, isn't too bad). It's been doing this for months now, and getting worse, but it just hasn't been a top priority for me. Too many surround/vinyl releases have been eating up funds!

My Oppo 83 disc tray died about 3 yrs ago, I never fixed it as I'd bought a 95. The 83 was in a second room.

I just gave away my 200+ laserdisc collection and threw in my Panasonic NTSC LD player I bought in 1993, had not played it in over 10 years. The guy who took everything SMSed me to say it's working perfectly!

I'd call a $70 flat rate repair for the BDP 83 a damn good deal, and when I managed to knock the disc tray on mine off the rails I took advantage of it. That includes return shipping as well. When setting it up I mentioned my 970HD was refusing to play SACDs and they quoted a $40 flat rate for that. Got that done too.

Oppo for the win.

I honestly have pretty good luck with equipment NOT failing. Often, I wish it would fail, just so I HAVE to buy something new. Now there's an illness if I've ever heard one. But, I guess I would say that my 42" TV upstairs bedroom always starts up with a very dark, flickering screen. After a few minutes, it snaps out of it. So.....I suppose it will crash and burn with little notice one of these days. I think it's about 6 years old or so.....

Yeah, I used the failed turntable motor as an excuse to get a new table. It arrived damaged, seeming to be a B-stock item, and unusable. Fortunately, the dealer and manufacturer did not blame the victim, as has sometimes happened to me, and I am waiting patiently a few weeks for a replacement.

Have you tried this external BD writer yet?

http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SE-506...&qid=1455244694&sr=8-3&keywords=SE-506CB/RSWD

I use it on my Mac Mini (infrequently I'll admit).. works ok :)

I've been real lucky with equipment...the only time I dodged a bullet is when I had my Denon for over 4 years and it needed repaired..AND I had a 5 year extended warranty on it and after they fixed it... no problem...that was a few years ago..I probably shouldn't mention it...I will jinx it

Have you tried this external BD writer yet?

http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-SE-506...&qid=1455244694&sr=8-3&keywords=SE-506CB/RSWD

I use it on my Mac Mini (infrequently I'll admit).. works ok :)

Interesting drive, thanks Adam. Seems to get mixed reviews, were you able to use the software that came with it for blu ray? I used MacGo for the last one I had, can't say I liked it very much. It was hard to tell what audio codec was playing etc. I've been looking at this one available locally, though don't know much about it:
http://www.computeravenue.ca/index....-drives/asus-external-blu-ray-burner-12x.html

Interesting drive, thanks Adam. Seems to get mixed reviews, were you able to use the software that came with it for blu ray? I used MacGo for the last one I had, can't say I liked it very much. It was hard to tell what audio codec was playing etc. I've been looking at this one available locally, though don't know much about it:
http://www.computeravenue.ca/index....-drives/asus-external-blu-ray-burner-12x.html

Don't know if it's any good (should be with that price tag I guess) but it certainly looks good.

Well, my Heathkit -29 pieces are all 40 years or older and I have replaced capacitors and soldered connections that had never been soldered before in a couple I bought off ebay but they have generally been very reliable in spite of their age.

Recently, two of them failed in one day. One of my AR-29s (a receiver) had a capacitor fail in the 12 volt power supply and it ended up ruining one output transistor (a 2N3055) and heating up the woofers in one of my pairs of Advents (4 stacks in a quad set up) pretty good but they are OK.

One of my AA-29s (an amplifier) had the same coupling capacitor in each channel fail on the control preamp board. Symptoms were lack of lower frequencies and lower output than my other AA-29s.

A quick trip to Radio Shack (RS saves the day again) to buy some new Nichicon capacitors and they were repaired in short order and back in my quad system. This is why I still love Radio Shack.

Doug

My Yamaha RX-V373 just failed on me.. (after 3 years of loyal services). at first I thought "influenza" was affecting my hearing, but I'm getting better and things sound all messed up. Just placed an order for a more recent version: RX-V379.

MAN !!!! those few days 'til delivery will be sooooo boring !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! might as well pick up "crochet" :D

my Pie in Ear VSX-AX2AS receiver (from 2008) has been acting up for at least 3 years---- it was that the LF did not work and now it the RF that has the same shit...
My solution?

Turn it off and move the dials like a madman trying to tune a space station....

Thankfully, it still works...

Within the last six months my Denon dvd2930 started skipping on dvd-a's, more and more, indicating that the laser was going. I researched the problem and it looks like a fairly simple repair and found a replacement laser assy. for around $20. But after scoring an Oppo 981 off ebay for $75 to tide me over, I have been in no hurry to do the repair...

Just within the last month or so white dots started showing up on my Sammy 67" DLP- a sign that the dmd chip is going. Thats a $200 part and labor will be about that as well- not worth it. But the thread for my set at AVS has links to videos for doing the repair. My next door neighbor had the same problem w/ his Mitsubishi DLP and they gave him the part so he got it fixed for $200, but a call to Samsung support just wasted 30+ minutes of my time as they switched me between 3 CS reps before telling me all they could do was tell me the phone # of a local Samsung repair facility. The TV is 5+ years old and I understand its way out of warranty, but for what I paid for it, I expected it to last longer. But the days of tube TVs that last 20 or more years are long gone. Big screen TVs are now subject to planned obsolescence, Im afraid and life-expectancy is way lower.

What bothers me most is how much I loved the LED-DLP picture and now that plasma is gone, I wont be able to find anything w/ as good a picture, even if price was not a consideration- which it most certainly is. Ive never been a fan of LCD, but it looks like one is in my future...

What bothers me most is how much I loved the LED-DLP picture and now that plasma is gone, I wont be able to find anything w/ as good a picture, even if price was not a consideration- which it most certainly is. Ive never been a fan of LCD, but it looks like one is in my future...

I suggest you check out OLED TVs. The latest generation are pretty damn good, with some reviews saying they've eclipsed plasma for picture quality. They're still quite expensive though.

My next TV will be a 77" OLED but that's probably two years away (price/budget wise)

While oled's have an impressive pic, it's still in it's infancy and from what I've read still has some issues (IR, motion issues). Regardless, it'll be more than 2 yrs before it fits my budget, unless the prices fall drastically, which I highly doubt. Maybe when the next TV I get dies I'll be able to afford it...

But the tech does show a lot of promise. We'll see how well that promise is realized, since TV development follows the rules of marketing, not the rules of optimizing the tech. Dubious features (slimness, 3D, 240 hz refresh, etc.) seem more important than PQ , b/c that's what sells. The masses are probably a little more concerned w/ PQ for their video than AQ for their audio, but it still is not that much of a concern (though likely more out of ignorance than desire).

As with most everything in mass consumerism, we are at the mercy of what the masses want- or can be manipulated by. We all know that the best and the most profitable are rarely the same...

So, I'm looking at the vizio M series, which reportedly have addressed some of lcd's weaknesses and are very reasonably priced. But I'm scouring Cl for used plasmas as well- that would likely be my 1st choice if I can find anything locally - which isn't easy in a smallish town.

Back