SF Bay Area Surround Sound Listening Party?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey all,

Having ecently learned that at least one other QQer lives in the SF Bay Area raised this question: is there any interest in a listening party?

Finally hear that disc you've been outbid on for years and years! Meet a few friends! Enjoy a libation (or a few)!

Anyhow, the Rush fan community has done this for years. It's called BARFing (Bay Area Rush Fan). We usually watch a Rush concert (at least in the background), but generally just have a good, moderately rowdy time. We happen to be BARFing tomorrow night...

I thought the same idea could work for QQers!!!

Anyway, there is one other interested QQer so far. I'd be willing to host the inaugural event, but no bitching about my system!!! ;)
If it's a success, maybe it could be a regular thing. If there aren't very many QQers in the SFBA, oh well.

--Mike

I'm in Livermore. I could hit Sacto, The City, anywhere around here.
Hey, cool. Sounds like this kind of thing could happen! I envision the kind of thing where everybody brings a few favorites, but no solid plan or ideas.

I am in Santa Clara. Got a reasonable amount of SACDs, DVDAs and BR, open to listening party though my time table is soo hectic. Not a diehard RUSH fan but I am currently listening to Moving Picture HDTracks.

I would be interested also. I live in San Jose, though no interest in listening to Rush. Hope that's not a prerequisite. :music Sorry, that never was a band I enjoyed.

I live in Denver, and would love to do the same thing in Colorado. If I happened to be in California on a date you selected there, I would love to participate. Here in Colorado we have a small Hendrix group the meets at irregular intervals. Listening parties are big fun!

I'm on the Peninsula. Can't host, but would love to attend! I have a growing collection of surround titles in multiple formats, mostly prog.

Very, very cool that there is some interest. I am happy to host an event, if folks are cool with traveling to the outer East Bay, Livermore.

I think we could shoot for April? May? I am absolutely tied-up through March.

I have a nice backyard. We can BBQ or something. Make a day of it. Folks are welcome to crash if it gets too late. Maybe arrange a carpool or two. Maybe some of us are designated driver types.

We could try starting a list of what everybody wants to bring? That way, some rare stuff gets played and it cuts down on duplicates being brought.
Or if somebody has the Dolby version, but someone else has the hi-res we can try to arrange having the best copy show up. If folks post their favorites that they intend to bring I can reply if I already have it.
If everybody bring a couple favorites, plus what I got and we hit the highlights of some dics, or let the whole thing run for super-awesome discs, should be a great day.

Very, very cool that there is some interest. I am happy to host an event, if folks are cool with traveling to the outer East Bay, Livermore.

I think we could shoot for April? May? I am absolutely tied-up through March.

I have a nice backyard. We can BBQ or something. Make a day of it. Folks are welcome to crash if it gets too late. Maybe arrange a carpool or two. Maybe some of us are designated driver types.

We could try starting a list of what everybody wants to bring? That way, some rare stuff gets played and it cuts down on duplicates being brought.
Or if somebody has the Dolby version, but someone else has the hi-res we can try to arrange having the best copy show up. If folks post their favorites that they intend to bring I can reply if I already have it.
If everybody bring a couple favorites, plus what I got and we hit the highlights of some dics, or let the whole thing run for super-awesome discs, should be a great day.

You are killing me....this sounds excellent.

I'm definitely interested. However, due to the fact that I'm the primary caretaker of my dementia-afflicted mom, I may not be able to make it. I may be able to "get away" if I can get my sister to help out.

What does a convention of headphone music listeners do when they get together?
All sit in a room with their headphones on and ignore one another?

Well, the surround-listening hobby is inherently a bit lonerish too, not that there's anything wrong with that. I enjoy my alone time, but also have the occasional friend or family over to listen with me.
I do wonder how it will be for multiple surround-heads to try to share the "sweet spot" of my system (or any other hosts'). I guess we can just take turns! Listen to a favorite cut, then get up, grab a drink and mingle.

Well, the surround-listening hobby is inherently a bit lonerish too, not that there's anything wrong with that. I enjoy my alone time, but also have the occasional friend or family over to listen with me.
I do wonder how it will be for multiple surround-heads to try to share the "sweet spot" of my system (or any other hosts'). I guess we can just take turns! Listen to a favorite cut, then get up, grab a drink and mingle.

I invite guests to sit on my lap when they come over if they're looking for that sweet spot.

Back