SF Bay Area Surround Sound Listening Party?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in central SF (near Alamo Square Park), and would be interested in attending (or, perhaps hosting). My collection is all digital, a few hundred titles, mostly DVDa/v's, some SACD's, DVD-a/v ISO's and DTS files, and one BD. I'd likely bring my hard drive and a few discs.

My tastes run the gamut from pop to avant-garde, but a few things I'd like to hear, are the Velvet Underground's "Loaded", Pere Ubu's "Modern Dance", and Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music".

Looking forward to hanging with a few of you surround-music-fans!

_David

So, it is true that I can't host at my abode, BUT... I am a student at an audio production school (actually a professional production house) in SF. Their main control room has a 13.2 (I think; maybe it's 11.2) system for mixing and playtesting. I'll be taking a 5.1 mixing class in July from an instructor (the top mixer for the production company) I currently take a Pro Tools class with, and we've already bonded over our shared love of music in surround. I'll see him tomorrow for class, and I'll chat him up about maybe organizing a "community event." Wouldn't be able to have food or drink in the control room, but there's a modest canteen adjacent and additional space in the lobby. I'll ask about what formats they are capable of playing back; I have doubts about SACD. Bonus: the location is convenient to Caltrain, BART, and has a nearby municipal parking garage (not cheap until the evenings).

So, it is true that I can't host at my abode, BUT... I am a student at an audio production school (actually a professional production house) in SF. Their main control room has a 13.2 (I think; maybe it's 11.2) system for mixing and playtesting. I'll be taking a 5.1 mixing class in July from an instructor (the top mixer for the production company) I currently take a Pro Tools class with, and we've already bonded over our shared love of music in surround. I'll see him tomorrow for class, and I'll chat him up about maybe organizing a "community event." Wouldn't be able to have food or drink in the control room, but there's a modest canteen adjacent and additional space in the lobby. I'll ask about what formats they are capable of playing back; I have doubts about SACD. Bonus: the location is convenient to Caltrain, BART, and has a nearby municipal parking garage (not cheap until the evenings).

I'd relish the opportunity to have a listening party in a surround studio. Speaking of other venues where we could meet, there are a few places open to the public that have surround sound programs. The Audium has shows every weekend, but there's also CCRMA at Stanford, CNMAT at Berkeley, Sound Box at the SF Symphony, and occasionally there's something at the Exploratorium. Also, the SFMoMA will be reopening in May, with a Meyer Constellation muti-channel sound system, and soon we'll have a new public space in SF dedicated to surround audio, called Envelop.

I'd relish the opportunity to have a listening party in a surround studio. Speaking of other venues where we could meet, there are a few places open to the public that have surround sound programs. The Audium has shows every weekend, but there's also CCRMA at Stanford, CNMAT at Berkeley, Sound Box at the SF Symphony, and occasionally there's something at the Exploratorium. Also, the SFMoMA will be reopening in May, with a Meyer Constellation muti-channel sound system, and soon we'll have a new public space in SF dedicated to surround audio, called Envelop.

Wow! I'm down for any of this!

I have a spare Pioneer universal (SACD/DVD-Audio) DVD player, which has 5.1 analog outs only, that I would be willing to tote along to any location that might be able to hook it up.

What does a convention of headphone music listeners do when they get together?
All sit in a room with their headphones on and ignore one another?

Actually they are quite lively events. Many headphone fans as well as headphone, amp and DAC companies in attendance discussing various products, music, tweaks, etc.
Check the Head-Fi web site for meet ups in your area. Quite interesting and educational.

Wow! I'm down for any of this!

Edison B. have you been to the Audium? It's a Bay Area institution, like 40+ years of immersing folks in surround sounds...

So there's this thing at CCRMA in March:

MARCH MATTNESS - 'two evenings of immersive multimedia, electronic, acoustic, and electroacoustic music…Multichannel works by John Chowning, Ed Campion, and others'

Fri, 03/11/2016 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm
Sat, 03/12/2016 - 7:30pm - 9:00pm

FREE
Open to the Public

Details:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/events/march-mattness-ccrma-in-bing-concert-hall-studio

Edison B. have you been to the Audium? It's a Bay Area institution, like 40+ years of immersing folks in surround sounds...

MARCH MATTNESS - 'two evenings of immersive multimedia, electronic, acoustic, and electroacoustic music…Multichannel works by John Chowning, Ed Campion, and others'

FREE
Open to the Public

Details:

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/events/march-mattness-ccrma-in-bing-concert-hall-studio

Wow, this looks amazing!

FREE
Open to the Public

Details:

Unfortunately, I'll be out of the country, but I'd love to catch that sometime!

Good news: I talked to the instructor yesterday and he's on board. He asked that I send him an email request for a community event. Eventually, he will need specifics on how many plan to attend and what formats need to be played. They will, of course, want to use this event as a marketing opportunity, so there will probably be some photos taken (the studio is a "press area"). They may have waivers for you to sign. As far as food and drink go, I imagine a potluck format would be best (I don't think the company will spring for catering). As I mentioned, food and drink will not be permitted in the control room.

I'm genuinely really excited about this.

Actually they are quite lively events. Many headphone fans as well as headphone, amp and DAC companies in attendance discussing various products, music, tweaks, etc.
Check the Head-Fi web site for meet ups in your area. Quite interesting and educational.

Sounds like a laugh riot! :D

This would be fantastic. No worries about no food and drink in the listening room, I think we can all respect the space.

Hi all,

Short notice, i just received this, but there's a show at CCRMA-Stanford, tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

------------

Hey All.... this is an RSVP kind of situation...

We will have a very special performance this Tuesday evening February 23rd from 7.30PM. CCRMA visiting artist/scholar Gina Gu will perform several pieces specially designed for the CCRMA Listening Room with full 3D spatialization. The music will take you on an adventure through various magical and imaginary worlds from ancient lands of giants to future alienscapes.

Performances will include the Wheeletto v3, a plucked electronic musical instrument featuring the GuQin, a 7-string ancient Chinese zither instrument.

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~gina/portfolio/Portfolio/Wheeletto.html

Remember space is limited so please RSVP if you can make it...

Gina's Bio:
- Professional game audio designer, composer: Activision Blizzard, SCEA, Konami, etc.
- MA/MST @ CCRMA
- New musical instrument design and interactive performance
- Flute, piano, Chinese traditional instruments

Back