SF Bay Area Surround Sound Listening Party?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall the offer for the studio, and I think that would be awesome. The house is also a generous offer too.
Most certainly! Very generous, and I meant no degradation of that. I just don't want to get ahead of myself on this. Should I be trying to schedule an event at the studio, or hold off? Mid-June or later target. Sounds like a Friday or Saturday evening would be the day and time.

So, I was under the impression that I should be pursuing setting up an event at the studio where I go to school. Was I wrong?

I think the studio is best for our first visit, meet and greet, and then we can go from there. Weekends best but I could be flexible.

OK, I'll keep on full-steam ahead! Just so we're all on the same page, here's an excerpt of the email I sent to my instructor:

I imagine that at minimum, they will want to listen to releases on the following formats:- Super Audio CD
- DVD-Audio
- DVD-Video
- Blu-ray Disc

They may also have releases in download file formats (multichannel FLAC, WAV, or DSD files) and possibly even analog formats (quadraphonic LPs and tape reels). I have a universal disc player with digital (optical, coaxial, and HDMI) and analog (RCA) outputs that can play most—if not all—of the digital formats from disc or USB drive. The HDMI port can output bitstream or uncompressed PCM audio. It would likely be easy enough to integrate into your A/V system through the Marantz receiver using HDMI. As for the analog formats, would it be possible to hook up a turntable or reel-to-reel deck with 4 RCA outputs? I am assuming that if the members really want to hear these formats, they would be able to provide players.

As for the other side of the coin—marketing and publicity—I don’t have any brilliant ideas, but I do have some thoughts. The forum members are mostly audiophiles and not in the industry nor potential clients. Some of them might be potential students, but most of them are probably not. To that end, I don’t think this event needs to or should be restricted to just the forum members (who will probably number less than 20, if not less than 10). I think it should at least be open to current students, who might be inspired to sign up for the 5.1 class if they haven’t already done so. It could be marketed to prospective students as a chance to meet and chat with current students and instructors, with the surround sound music providing the soundtrack for a silent observation of the Studio A control room. It could also be marketed to potential clients in a similar manner. “Come tour our facilities and hear our state-of-the-art Meyer surround sound monitoring system in action.”
This is a professional audio production company, so they'll want to get as much juice out of it as they can. From the reaction I got from my instructor, though, it sounds like this is all but a done deal. I'll be working with him and others to plan it.

Not yet scheduled. I will shoot for a Saturday evening. One of the chief officers of the company broke his foot last week, so there may be some time before the event materializes.

Hi guys I just noticed the thread, I'm in Berkeley and would love to attend (have a handful of q8, LP's of various format and a couple demo Q4's.

I could possibly host smaller multiple gatherings (my listening area is pretty small) once my Amp gets back from being restored (expected mid-July).

I'll help where I can :)
I'm just getting into quad and this sounds like a great way to learn more.

How's the foot and the event coming along? It's Summer, time for a party.
He's healing, in two days a week, now. Last I asked the instructor who's championing my event from the inside, he said they were just too busy to think about scheduling it. Apparently, another big project is wrapping today, so I will ask again next week. Really want to make this happen!

Hi all, this is off topic, but I'm looking for a home in the SF bay area that is convenient to downtown SF. If you or anyone you know has a spare room or is looking for a housemate, short or long-term, please let me know! I have a great music collection (though not too big) which comes with me, which includes a lot of multi-channel titles, plus I'm a great housemate to boot!

Thanks,

David

Just wanted to extend the invitation - Mrs. B and I are planning to have a few friends over the house the weekend nearest Halloween - so, the 29th or 30th.
The idea is to listen to some tunes, put on some Halloweeny movies, play some Cards Against Humanity, do some drinkin' and whatever.
We aren't wanting to have hundreds over or anything, but if there are a few QQers who'd like to do some Halloween partying and meet the Baggster, you are totally invited.
It won't be a surround geekfest, but you are definitely encouraged to bring some favorite discs. There will certainly be the opportunity to bump some surround, even if not everybody is in the sweet-spot or paying attention per se.
Costume optional, but encouraged just for the fun of it. Drop me a line if at all interested.

I just found this thread. What happened? Did this idea just die out or was there a meeting of quadraphiles?

One bit of good news is that there are others interested in quadraphonic and multi-channel music in the Bay Area. :banana:

Hi All, just checking in after a few years hiatus... hopefully not too long after a vaccine is available there will be an occasion for us all to gather to hear some surround in the 'Bay. Due to a baby(s) in the house I've had to dismantle my surround system, so I'm itching for some opportunities to get out and hear some music.

Back